COAT OF ARMS
Government: Legal status of territory and issue of sovereignty unresolved
Current President: President in Exile, Brahim Ghali
Population: 652,271 (2020)
Land Size: 266,000 sq km (102,703 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - May 12, 2021: Brahim Ghali Case - Arguments Put Forward By Spain "Are Not Convincing" (Parliamentarians) - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[MAP] Rabat -- Representatives of parliamentary groups and groupings in the House of advisors said, on Tuesday, that the arguments put forward by Spain to justify the hosting of Polisario leader, the man named Brahim Ghali , "are not convincing", calling on the northern neighbor to "thoroughly review" this position.
- Tue - May 11, 2021: Fresh Dispute Erupts Between Spain and Morocco Over Western Sahara Leader - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[VOA] Madrid -- A diplomatic dispute between Morocco and Spain over Madrid's decision to host a leader of the Western Saharan independence movement has soured what had been improving relations across the Mediterranean Sea.
- Tue - Apr 27, 2021: President of Republic Congratulates His South African Counterpart On the Celebrations of Freedom Day - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Bir Lehlou -- The President of the Pepublic, Secretary General of the Polisario Front Mr. Ibrahim Ghali, congratulated his counterpart the President of the Republic of South Africa H.E Mr. Cyril Matamela Ramaphosa, on the celebrations of Freedom Day.
- Mon - Apr 26, 2021: Inhofe, Leahy Lead 25 Colleagues to Urge Biden to Reverse Misguided Western Sahara Decision - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[United States Senate] Washington, DC -- U.S. Sens. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) and Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) led 25 of their Senate colleagues today in sending a letter urging President Biden to reverse the previous misguided decision to officially recognize the Kingdom of Morocco's illegitimate claims of sovereignty over Western Sahara and recommit the United States to the pursuit of a referendum on self-determination for the Sahrawi people of Western Sahara.
- Sun - Apr 25, 2021: Nigerian Group Condemns France's Moves in Western Sahara - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[Leadership] Abuja -- The Nigerian Movement for the Liberation of Western Sahara (NMLWS) has condemned the decision by the ruling political party in France, "La Republique en March" (On the Move) to, as part of its 5th anniversary commemoration, open a branch in Dajla, an Occupied Territory that it said rightly belongs to the people of Western Sahara.