COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Lobamba (royal/legislative,) Mbabane (administrative)
Government: Unitary Parliamentary Absolute Diarchy
Current King: Mswati III
Population: 1,104,479 (2020)
Land Size: 17,364 sq km (6,704 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mon - Aug 2, 2021: Arrest of Lawmakers Condemned By International Community - AllAfrica News: Swaziland
[VOA] Johannesburg -- Rights groups have condemned Eswatini's arrest of two lawmakers this week and the use of force against pro-democracy protesters. The southern African kingdom, Africa's last absolute monarchy, has been rocked by protests since June.
- Thu - Jul 29, 2021: Royal Crackdown - European Union Condemns Arrest of Two Eswatini MPs As Government Hunts for the Third - AllAfrica News: Swaziland
[Daily Maverick] The European Union says it is 'deeply concerned' by the arrest on Sunday of two members of parliament in Eswatini, who are due to appear in court on Thursday to seek bail. The two 'represent the voice of the people who elected them to Parliament', according to an EU official.
- Tue - Jul 27, 2021: Two Eswatini Pro-Democracy MPs Charged Under Terrorism Law - AllAfrica News: Swaziland
[Swazi Media] Two Swaziland (eSwatini) members of parliament have been charged under a terrorism law after speaking out for democracy in the kingdom.
- Tue - Jul 27, 2021: U.S. Condemns Arrest of Two Swazi Dissident MPs - AllAfrica News: Swaziland
[Daily Maverick] Banned opposition party Pudemo is to launch a boycott of Swazi products to target businesses in which Mswati and the royal family has interests.
- Mon - Jul 19, 2021: Eswatini's King Mswati III Appoints Cleopas Dlamini as New Prime Minister - AllAfrica News: Swaziland
[Nation] Eswatini's King Mswati III on Friday appointed Cleopas Dlamini as the southern African nation's new Prime Minister, the move coming after weeks of protests in a push for democracy.