COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Federal Presidential Republic
Current President: Omar al-Bashir
Population: 45,561,556 (2020)
Land Size: 1.8 million sq km (728,215 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Oct 21, 2021: Cities Brace for Marches of the Millions Today - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum / El Fasher / El Geneina / Atbara -- Sudanese across the country are preparing to take to the streets today in the Marches of Millions, as political divisions and divergences in demands and paths prevail. Marches have already begun in several cities, and in the capital Khartoum, the streets leading to the General Command of the Armed Forces, as well as several major bridges have been closed, amid a heavy deployment of police and other regular forces.
- Thu - Oct 21, 2021: State of Emergency Declared in North Darfur Localities to Secure Harvest - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Tawila / Dar El Salam -- The North Darfur state government declared a State of Emergency in Tawila and Dar El Salam localities on Tuesday for security reasons, following repeated attacks and security breaches, with the intent to secure the harvest season.
- Thu - Oct 21, 2021: New Report Lists 74 Deaths in Wake of 2019 Khartoum Massacre - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum -- A new report entitled The Price of the Transition, prepared by a group called the Initiative of Those Present, reveals that 74 protestors died between June 3 2019 - the day that paramilitaries and security forces violently dispersed the sit-in in front of the army command in Sudan's capital Khartoum - and June 10.
- Thu - Oct 21, 2021: Road, Port Closures Intensify in Eastern Sudan - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Port Sudan / Khartoum -- The High Council of Beja Nazirs and Independent Chieftains announced on Tuesday the closure of more roads in the Red Sea state, on the 33rd day of the closure ports and national roads.
- Thu - Oct 21, 2021: FFC-CC Lauds PM Hamdok's Initiative to Resolve Sudan's Political Crisis - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum -- The Forces of Freedom and Change-Central Council (FFC-CC), a group of 10 allied parties and movements signatory to the Charter for the Unity of the Forces for Freedom and Change, has welcomed Prime Minister Abdallah Hamdok's initiative to resolve the current political crisis in Sudan.