COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Federal Presidential Republic
Current President: Omar al-Bashir
Population: 45,561,556 (2020)
Land Size: 1.8 million sq km (728,215 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - May 12, 2021: Doctors and Hospitals On Strike - Imminent Health Disaster - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Agenzia Fides] Khartoum -- Doctors raise alarm over medicine shortages, lack of funding, insecurity, and an impending health disaster. Yesterday, the Sudanese Ministry of Health reported 138 new COVID-19 cases and five deaths. The new cases were mainly recorded in Khartoum, El Gezira, Sennar, North Darfur, and Northern State.
- Wed - May 12, 2021: Two Dead, Dozens Wounded As Sudanese Commemorate June 3 Massacre - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum -- Two young men were shot dead and at least 28 others were wounded in front of the army command in the Sudanese capital yesterday, when army forces dispersed a group of people commemorating the violent dismantling of the Khartoum sit-in two years ago. The reasons for the delay of the investigations into the June 3 massacre are many.
- Wed - May 12, 2021: ♦ Sudan - This Week's News in Brief ♦ - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Dabanga Sudan -- A compact digest of this week's most-read highlights, from the heart of Sudan. Subscribe to receive this digest weekly in your inbox.
- Tue - May 11, 2021: Us Dollar At 'Unprecedented High' As the End of Ramadan Approaches - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum / Port Sudan -- The US Dollar rate reached new highs as its exchange value increased by two Pounds in a week. Meanwhile, the economic wing of the Council of Ministers approved the establishment of a gold stock market and an agricultural crops stock market yesterday.
- Tue - May 11, 2021: IMF Takes 'Critical Step' Towards Sudan's Debt Relief - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum / Washington D.c. -- The International Monetary Fund's (IMF) executive board approved a financing plan yesterday that "will help mobilise the resources needed for the IMF to cover its share of debt relief to Sudan". A "critical step" according to IMF Director Kristalina Georgieva. Meanwhile, Sudan prepares for the Paris conference on investment in Sudan.