COAT OF ARMS
Government: Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic
President: Salva Kiir Mayardit
Population: 10,561,244 (2020)
Land Size: 644,329 sq km
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Aug 3, 2021: Two Activists Arrested on Same Day New Parliament is Sworn In - Reports - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[allAfrica] Cape Town -- South Sudan on Monday swore in hundreds of lawmakers to a newly created national parliament, Agence France-Presse (AFP) reports.
- Tue - Aug 3, 2021: Bishop Elect of Rumbek Invokes Intercession of Our Lady On South Sudan - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[CISA] Vicenza-Italy -- The bishop-elect of the Catholic diocese of Rumbek Rt. Rev. Christian Carlassare has offered prayers for peace in South Sudan invoking the intercession of Our Lady to bring healing and change from a past of violence, division and poverty, to a future of unity and prosperity.
- Tue - Aug 3, 2021: More Than 15,000 Displaced People Need Humanitarian Assistance - Organisation - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[Agenzia Fides] Tombura -- The situation of 15,000 internally displaced persons in Tombura alone is becoming more serious every day, said Kia Moses, representative of the Catholic Organization for Development and Peace (CODEP) who, along with other representatives of humanitarian organizations, spent five days in the city of Western Equatoria state to assess the situation following the ongoing tribal clashes.
- Tue - Aug 3, 2021: Flooding Kills 7 People, 400 Displaced, Official Says - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[VOA] Bor, South Sudan -- Authorities in Unity state say at least seven people are reported dead after floods submerged several homes in Mayendit County in recent days. The floods have also displaced about 400 families, officials say.
- Mon - Aug 2, 2021: Tokyo Olympics - South Sudan's Abraham Guem and His Race for Peace - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[DW] Middle-distance runner Abraham Guem was stranded in Japan for 21 months with four compatriots. Though his chances at the Tokyo Olympics look slim, he has more at stake than medals.