COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Pretoria (executive), Cape Town (legislative), Bloemfontein (judicial)Government: Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic
Current President: Cyril Ramaphosa
Population: 56,462,617 (2020)
Land Size: 1.22 million sq km (470,693 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Aug 3, 2021: SARS Asks High Court to Sequestrate VBS Fixer Kabelo Matsepe - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[Daily Maverick] Court documents filed by the South African Revenue Service's Criminal and Illicit Economy Activities division in their sequestration case against VBS Mutual Bank fixer-cum-businessman Kabelo Matsepe reveal that the taxman traced millions of undeclared rands, including 'commissions' from the bank, right into Matsepe's pocket.
- Tue - Aug 3, 2021: The National Team Was a 'Lonely Place', Testifies Ex-Proteas Batter Ashwell Prince - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[Daily Maverick] At the Social Justice and Nation Building hearings, another former Proteas player has testified about alleged incidents of racial discrimination during his playing days.
- Tue - Aug 3, 2021: Civil Society Launches Watchdog to Monitor Implementation of Political Party Funding Act - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[Daily Maverick] On Tuesday a coalition of civil society organisations launched a watchdog to monitor the compliance and implementation of the Political Party Funding Act.
- Tue - Aug 3, 2021: Emerging Markets Need an Inclusive Approach to Net Zero - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[Daily Maverick] Net zero portfolios may frustrate net zero in the real world.
- Tue - Aug 3, 2021: Cape Transport Crawls Back On Track As Mbalula Rides the Rails to Inspect Services Overshadowed By Taxi Strife - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[Daily Maverick] Cape commuters made their way to Paarl train station early on Tuesday, having been hampered by the ongoing B97 taxi route closure. Commuters have had to adopt alternative modes of transport, including trains and the more expensive bus services and were not shy about expressing their frustration to the transport minister.