COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Presidential Constitutional Republic
Current President: Julius Maada Bio
Population: 6,624,933 (2020)
Land Size: 71,740 sq km (27,669 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Sat - Jul 31, 2021: Paralympian Carrying Hopes in Tokyo - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[Africa Renewal] Thirty-one-year-old George Wyndham, a Sierra Leonean Paralympian, will be competing in table tennis at the Tokyo Paralympics Games in August. He will be one of three Sierra Leonean Paralympians at the Games.
- Fri - Jul 30, 2021: President JBio Addresses Global Education Summit in the UK, Assures of Girls' Access to Quality Education - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[Sierra Leone Government] His Excellency President Dr Julius Maada Bio today addressed the Global Education Summit, the biggest of such events to encourage donors to raise $5 billion in the next 5 years, along with commitments from partner countries on domestic financing for education.
- Thu - Jul 29, 2021: APC MP,3 Others to Spend Another Week Behind Bars - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[Concord] Hon Emmanuel Saidu Conteh and Co were arrested for alleged illegal importation of arms and ammunition
- Thu - Jul 29, 2021: Le100m Bail for Alleged House Breaking Thief - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[Concord] Magistrate Sahr Kekura at the Freetown Magistrate Court No. 1 on Pademba Road yesterday (Monday 26th July 2021) granted a Le 100 million bail plus one surety to one Aruna Conteh, 30, after he was charged with an alleged house breaking and larceny.
- Thu - Jul 29, 2021: CAN Supports Abolition of Death Penalty But.july 23, 2021 - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[Concord] While supporting the abolition of death penalty in the spirit of human rights, the Citizens Advocacy Network (CAN) has recommended that the prerogative of mercy (Pardon) provisions under Section 63 of the 1991 Constitution be amended and made watertight so that current and future Presidents would legally be barred from extending pardon to a person(s) convicted by a court of competent jurisdiction and are serving life sentences for heinous crimes.