COAT OF ARMS
Current President: Filipe Nyusi
Population: 30,098,197 (2020)
Land Size: 812,379 sq km (313,661 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - May 12, 2021: Not True That Equipment Being Dismantled in Afungi - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -- A claim that a consortium of firms has been hired to dismantle and remove infrastructure for the national gas liquefaction project on the Afungi Peninsula, in Palma district, in the northern Mozambican province of Cabo Delgado, appears to be entirely untrue.
- Wed - May 12, 2021: Nyusi Swears Into Office New Cscs Members - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -- Mozambican President Filipe Nyusi on Wednesday in Maputo swore into office the 11 members of the Higher Mass Media Council (CSCS), a watchdog body, set up under the Constitution, which has the task of ensuring the independence of the mass media, in exercising the right to information, the freedom of the press, the right of reply, and the allocation of broadcasting time to political parties.
- Wed - May 12, 2021: Former Labour Minister Released From Detention - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -- Mozambique's former Labour Minister, Helena Taipo, was released from preventive detention on Tuesday, after a successful writ of habeas corpus submitted by her lawyers in December, according to a report in the independent daily paper "O Pais".
- Wed - May 12, 2021: Covid-19 - One Death, 29 New Cases and 85 Recoveries - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -- The Mozambican health authorities on Tuesday reported another death from the Covid-19 respiratory disease, and 29 new cases.
- Wed - May 12, 2021: Protests Against Exorbitant Benefits for Parliamentary Staff - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -- Mozambique's Budgetary Monitoring Forum (FMO), a prominent coalition of civil society organisations, on Tuesday delivered a petition to the Assembly of the Republic, the Mozambican parliament, urging the deputies to revoke the recently passed bill on the Statute of Parliamentary Functionaries and Officials, which has outraged many citizens by offering a huge range of new allowances to parliamentary staff.