COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mohamed Ould Ghazouani
Population: 4,005,475 (2020)
Land Size: 1.04 million sq km (398,000 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Oct 19, 2021: Mauritania - Champion of Covid-19 Vaccination in Africa - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[WHO-AFRO] Nouakchott -- "Before, we had to go and find people willing to be vaccinated against COVID-19, now they come by themselves!" exclaims Mr Elhadi Sidi Mohamed, head of the vaccination site at the National Hospital Center in Nouakchott, Mauritania. "At the launch of the third vaccination campaign, we even had too many people here. Everyone wanted to be the first to be vaccinated."
- Mon - Oct 18, 2021: New Protected Area Buffers Mauritania's Shifting Sands #AfricaClimateCrisis - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[UNEP] Mauritania's battle against encroaching desertification, which has damaged ecosystems and endangered species, has received a timely boost with the news that 200,000 hectares will be turned into a protected area to support biodiversity in the country.
- Mon - Oct 18, 2021: Senior U.S. Policy Team to Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and Mauritania - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[White House] Washington, DC -- Principal Deputy National Security Advisor Jon Finer will travel to Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea, and Mauritania for official meetings next week. He will be joined by National Security Council Senior Director for Africa Dana Banks and Deputy Assistant Secretary for African Affairs Michael Gonzalez.
- Fri - Oct 15, 2021: Tunisia Sends 100,000 Covid-19 Vaccine Doses to Mauritania - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -- One hundred thousand COVID-19 vaccine doses have been sent to the Islamic Republic of Mauritania to support its efforts to fight the coronavirus pandemic, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Migration and Tunisians Abroad announced Thursday evening.
- Mon - Oct 11, 2021: Jerandi Receives Mauritanian Ambassador in Tunis - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -- Minister of Foreign Affairs, Migration and Tunisians Abroad Othmane Jerandi received Friday in Tunis, Ambassador of the Islamic Republic of Mauritania in Tunis Hamar Mohamed Deman.