COAT OF ARMS
Government: Multiparty Democracy
Current President: Lazarus Chakwera
Population: 21,196,629 (2020)
Land Size: 118,484 sq km (45,747 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Oct 21, 2021: ACB Arrests Mhc Official Mazibuko for Employing Underqualified Son - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] The Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) last week arrested the Human Resource Management Officer at the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development, Kingstone Mazibuko, for employing his underqualified son into the ministry.
- Thu - Oct 21, 2021: Police Probe MP Chambulanyina Jere Over Alleged Quarry Theft - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] The Malawi Congress Party (MCP) member of Parliament for Mzimba South, Emmanuel Chamburanyina Jere, is under police investigation over allegation that he stole quarry stones belonging to a Chinese company, which is constructing Jenda-Edingeni Road.
- Thu - Oct 21, 2021: Covid-19 Pandemic Worsened Gender Violence Cases - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] UNFPA Gender Analyst Joseph Kazima has disclosed that cases of gender based violence (GBV) increased tremendously during the Covid-19 pandemic in the country.
- Thu - Oct 21, 2021: Northern Region-Based Journalists Drilled in Anti-Public Funds Abuse Fight - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] Northern Region-based journalists have honed skills in reporting abuse of public funds. The Center for Social Accountability and Transparency (CSAT) organized the training under the project called "Enhancing a good governance in public finance management through the citizens engagement", which is being financed by GIZ.
- Thu - Oct 21, 2021: Greenbelt Authority Partners Zimbabwean Firm for Investment in Commercial Irrigation in Malawi - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] Greenbelt Authority (GBA) and Maka Resources from Zimbabwe have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU), effectively enabling the two companies to start investing in large-scale commercial irrigation in Malawi.