COAT OF ARMS
Government: Multiparty Democracy
Current President: Lazarus Chakwera
Population: 21,196,629 (2020)
Land Size: 118,484 sq km (45,747 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - May 12, 2021: Small Scale Farmers Urged to Embrace Modern Farming Technologies - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] Small scale farmers in the country need to embrace new agriculture technologies if they are to hit it big in their trade and maximize food production efficiency which is key in the elimination of hunger in the country, Minister of Agriculture, Lobin Lowe, has implored.
- Wed - May 12, 2021: MPs Reject Appointment of Chizuma As New Anti-Graft Boss - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] The Parliamentary Public Appointments Committee (PAC) has courted controversy following its decision to reject the appointment of Ombudsman Martha Chizuma as the new Director General (DG) of the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB).
- Wed - May 12, 2021: Chakwera Has Got It Right On Mining - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] On 14 July 2014 I wrote an article in The Nation newspaper under the headline 'Do better on mining' in which I urged government to establish a parastatal to actively participate in mining sector and not just watch foreign companies extracting minerals. Seven years down the line the government has done what it should have done many years ago. Actually Malawi used to have Mining Investment and Development Corporation (MIDCOR) which was vanished during the Structural Adjustment Programme. It should be revived
- Wed - May 12, 2021: High Court Reserves Ruling in Court Injunction Obtained By Refugees - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] The Government of Malawi will have to wait a little longer to finalize its campaign to relocate refugees and asylum seekers to Dzaleka Refugee Camp as the High Court in Lilongwe has reserved its ruling on the injunction refugees and asylum seekers obtained last month.
- Wed - May 12, 2021: HRDC Announce Protest Against Rejection of Chizuma As ACB Boss - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] The decision of the Public Appointments Committee (PAC) to reject Ombudsman Martha Chizuma as the new Anti Corruption Bureau (ACB) director has annoyed scores of Malawians with most ranting that the Committee's pronouncement is a massive drawback in as far as fighting graft in the country is concerned.