COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Addis Ababa
Government: Federal Parliamentary Republic
Current President: Mulatu Teshome Wirtu
Population: 108,113,150 (2020)
Land Size: 1.13 million sq km (437,794 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Oct 21, 2021: Federal Court Commences Hearing Against Eskinder Nega, Others - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[Addis Standard] Addis Abeba -- A hearing where prosecutors in Eskinder Nega's file presented their witnesses at the Federal High Court, Lideta Branch, First Constitutional and Anti-Terrorism Bench took place today.
- Thu - Oct 21, 2021: New Airstrike Hits Tigray's Capital - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[DW] Separatists accused the government of killing civilians in the strike that Adis Ababa said was targeting arms depots. Amid the turmoil, the UN announced withdrawing half of its staff from the country.
- Wed - Oct 20, 2021: Govt Admits Carrying Out Airstrikes in Mekelle - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[Nation] Just hours after fervent denials, Ethiopia has admitted to carrying out Monday's deadly airstrikes that hit two locations in Mekelle, the capital of the troubled northern Tigray region.
- Wed - Oct 20, 2021: Rights Commission Warns Against Communal Violence in Oromia Region - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[Addis Standard] Addis Abeba -- The Ethiopian Human Rights Commission (EHRC) issued a statement cautioning that the repeated attacks on civilians in different woredas of East wollega and Horogudru zones might lead to communal violence if the government doesn't deploy security forces 'immediately' and 'permanently'.
- Wed - Oct 20, 2021: Amhara Organisation Criticizes Federal Govt Track Record - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[Addis Standard] Addis Abeba -- The National Movement of Amhara (NaMA) called for the public to participate in what it described as a survival campaign. In the statement NaMA recalled that the Amhara people, along with Ethiopian National Defense Forces (ENDF) and other Ethiopian patriots, were fighting against the Tigrayan People's Liberation Front (TPLF) who the party accused of carrying out atrocities against the people of Amhara and Afar regions since July 13, 2021.