COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Djibouti City
Government: Dominant-Party Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Ismaïl Omar Guelleh
Population: 921,804 (2020)
Land Size: 23,200 sq km (8,950 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - May 12, 2021: What Guelleh Missed in Trying to Turn Country Into the 'Singapore of Africa' - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[African Arguments] With only a few exceptions, states have needed a minimum level of freedom and commitment to rule of law for sustained economic success.
- Mon - May 10, 2021: 'I Am Alive, but I Feel Like I Am Dead' - A Migrant Grieves for 3 Children - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[UN News] Misrah, an undocumented migrant worker, and her family, left their home in Ethiopia hoping for a better life. Instead, her three children are now dead, drowned during a perilous sea crossing across the Gulf of Aden, when the overloaded boat smuggling them into the country capsized.
- Tue - May 4, 2021: Djibouti Looks to Ethiopia to Gauge Its Economic Future - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[ISS] President Guelleh's controversial fifth term is more likely to be tested by regional than domestic challenges.
- Thu - Apr 29, 2021: Flood Walls and Forests Help Djibouti Adapt to Climate Change - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[UNEP] Near Omar Gona's house in Djibouti's Tadjourah city stands a wall three metres high and five metres thick. What might be an eyesore for some is a godsend for the city because the wall holds back the monsoon rains that have decimated people's lives here for decades.
- Sun - Apr 25, 2021: Biden Administration Names Horn of Africa Special Envoy - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[Ethiopian Herald] Addis Ababa -- The United States Department of State named on Friday a veteran diplomat Jeffrey Feltman as a special envoy to the Horn of Africa.