COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Felix Tshisekedi
Population: 101,780,263 (2020)
Land Size: 2.34 million sq km (905,354 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - May 12, 2021: EXCLUSIVE - New Sex Abuse Claims Against Aid Workers Exposed in Congo - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Thomson Reuters Foundation and The New Humanitarian] Butembo -- More than 20 Congolese women have accused aid workers of sexual abuse in new claims that include rape and unwanted pregnancies, with United Nations investigators uncovering similar allegations of workers exploiting vulnerable women. The New Humanitarian and the Thomson Reuters Foundation spoke to 22 women in Butembo who said male aid workers responding to an Ebola crisis in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo offered them jobs in exchange for sex. The clai
- Wed - May 12, 2021: Doubts Expressed About State of Emergency in the East - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Agenzia Fides] Kinshasa -- Doubts and perplexities have been expressed by representatives of civil society on the application of the state of siege in the provinces of North Kivu and Ituri in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) which entered into force on May 6 (see Fides, 7/5/2021). "So far parliament has not yet passed any law regulating the application of the state of siege and the state of emergency, as recommended by the Constitution. This law should specify, for example, how to manage personal freedoms during th
- Wed - May 12, 2021: Security Council Denounces Deadly Attack On Peacekeepers - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[UN News] The United Nations Security Council strongly condemned Monday's attack on the UN peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), in which one Malawian blue helmet was killed.
- Wed - May 12, 2021: President Tshisekedi Arrives in Addis Ababa - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[ENA] President of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the current head of the African Union, Félix Tshisekedi has arrived in Addis Ababa.
- Tue - May 11, 2021: UNFPA Executive Director to Visit DRC - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[UNFPA] KINSHASA, Democratic Republic of the Congo--Dr. Natalia Kanem, the Executive Director of UNFPA, the United Nations sexual and reproductive health agency, will be visiting the Democratic Republic of the Congo from 12 May.