COAT OF ARMS
Government: Parliamentary Republic
Current President: Mokgweetsi Masisi
Population: 2,317,233 (2020)
Land Size: 581,730 sq km (224,607 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Oct 21, 2021: Wildlife Authorities Refute Reports that Rhino Population is on Brink of Extinction - AllAfrica News: Botswana
[VOA] Gaborone -- Botswana wildlife authorities have refuted reports the country's rhinoceros population is on the verge of extinction due to poaching. The southern African country has battled a rise in poaching, with more than 60 animals killed in the last two years.
- Sat - Oct 16, 2021: Equitable Access to Covid-19 Vaccines Demands Action, Not Words - ECOSOC Head - AllAfrica News: Botswana
[Africa Renewal] Botswana's Permanent Representative to the UN, Collen Vixen Kelapile, is the current President of the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), the principal organ of the global body tasked with coordinating UN efforts on sustainable development and advancing internationally agreed goals. He took office amid a global pandemic, climate crisis, rising poverty, and growing inequalities, among other challenges. In Part 1 of this interview with Africa Renewal's Kingsley Ighobor, Mr. Kelapile explains
- Thu - Oct 14, 2021: Court Reserves Judgment After State Appeals Gay Sex Ruling - AllAfrica News: Botswana
[VOA] Gaborone -- Botswana's Court of Appeal on Tuesday reserved judgement in a case in which the state seeks to overturn a 2019 ruling that decriminalized same sex relations. In a landmark case the High Court had ruled in favor of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community, but the government is challenging the judgment.
- Wed - Oct 13, 2021: Access Bank Acquires 78.15 Percent Stake in BancABC Botswana - AllAfrica News: Botswana
[This Day] Access Bank Plc yesterday announced on the Nigerian Exchange Limited (NGX) that it has acquired 78.15 per cent shareholding in African Banking Corporation of Botswana Limited (BancABC Botswana).
- Mon - Oct 11, 2021: Botswana Institutes Legal Action Against Chobe's Killer Soldiers - AllAfrica News: Botswana
[Namibian] Minister of international relations and cooperation Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah says the authorities in Botswana have instituted legal proceedings against the soldiers implicated in the brutal killing of the three Nchindo brothers and their Zambian relative by the Botswana Defence Force alongside the Chobe River late last year.