COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Representative Democratic Republic
Current President: Patrice Talon
Population: 12,864,634 (2020)
Land Size: 112,622 sq km (43,484 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - May 5, 2021: Op-ED Urges Benin to End Digital Law Threat to Journalism - AllAfrica News: Benin
[RSF] Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is one of the signatories of an op-ed piece published in Benin on World Press Freedom Day calling for an overhaul of the country's Digital Law, which has been used to throttle free speech and press freedom.
- Mon - May 3, 2021: Benin's Democracy Continues Its Downward Spiral - AllAfrica News: Benin
[CFR] Benin has been something of a poster child for African democracy following its move away from Marxism-Leninism after the collapse of the Soviet Union. No longer.
- Sat - May 1, 2021: Benin President Patrice Talon Pledges Not to Seek Third Mandate - AllAfrica News: Benin
[RFI] In an exclusive interview with RFI/France 24, his first since his contested election victory on 11 April, following a campaign in which key opposition figures were unable to stand, Benin president Patrice Talon insisted he has no intention of pursuing a third mandate in 2026.
- Thu - Apr 29, 2021: Arrests of Opposition Figures in Benin - AllAfrica News: Benin
[State Department] The United States notes with concern the numerous arrests of opposition political leaders related to the April 11 presidential elections. Among the democratic principles our two countries share is the presumption of innocence until proven guilty through a prompt, fair, transparent, and apolitical criminal justice process. This principle, as well as freedom of expression and assembly, is enshrined in both the Beninese and U.S. constitutions.
- Wed - Apr 28, 2021: Decision of the CAF Appeal Board On Sierra Leone Vs Bénin - AllAfrica News: Benin
[CAF] The CAF Appeal Board has delivered its verdict on the Total Africa Cup of Nations qualifier match: Sierra Leone vs Benin Match.