COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Abdelmadjid Tebboune
Population: 42,972,878 (2020)
Land Size: 2.4 million sq km (919,595 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Oct 21, 2021: Libyan Stability Conference - Lamamra Holds Talks With Libya's Top Officials in Tripoli - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Algerie Presse Service] Tripoli -- The minister of Foreign Affairs and National Community Abroad, Ramtane Lamamra, held discussions Thursday, in Tripoli, with Libya's Prime Minister-designate Abdul Hamid Mohamed Dbeibah, the vice-president of the Libyan Presidential Council, Mussa Al-Kuni, and his counterpart, Najla Al-Mangoush, during which he stressed Algeria's support to " Libyan Stability Initiative."
- Wed - Oct 20, 2021: Prime Minister Installs National Statistics Council - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Algerie Presse Service] Algiers -- Prime Minister, Minister of Finance Aïmene Benabderrahmane on Wednesday installed the National Statistics Council.
- Tue - Oct 19, 2021: The Battle of Algiers - an Iconic Film Whose Message of Hope Still Resonates Today - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[The Conversation Africa] Saadi Yacef, the Algerian revolutionary leader who fought for his country's liberation from French colonial rule, died on 10 September 2021. Yacef is perhaps one of the better known of Algeria's resistance fighters because of the role he played in the creation of the film The Battle of Algiers, directed by the renowned Italian film maker Gillo Pontecorvo.
- Sat - Oct 16, 2021: Confronting France's Colonial Past - Harkis Eye Reparations - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[DW] President Emmanuel Macron has apologized to the tens of thousands of French loyalist fighters whom France left behind when it exited Algeria in 1962. But some of the fighters, known as Harkis, say more needs to be done.
- Fri - Oct 15, 2021: Algerian President Demands France's 'Full Respect' - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[DW] The president of Algeria said that the return of its ambassador to France is dependent on "full respect." Relations between the two countries are strained over visas and comments made by the French president.