COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Dominant-Party Presidential Republic
Current President: Emmerson Mnangagwa
Population: 14,030,368 (2018)
Land Size: 390,759 sq km (150,873 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Aug 21, 2019: Teachers to Wear Black Every Pay Day to Mourn Death of 'Our Salaries' - AllAfrica News: Zimbabwe
[New Zimbabwe] Firebrand teachers group, Amalgamated Rural Teachers' Unions of Zimbabwe ARTUZ, famed for embarking on a 275km march to press for improved wages, on Tuesday said they were now turning to wearing black during paydays to protest poor salaries.
- Wed - Aug 21, 2019: Opposition Moans 'De Facto State of Emergency' - AllAfrica News: Zimbabwe
[New Zimbabwe] The MDC has described as a de facto State of Emergency, the ban and police siege on city centres in which the party had lined up protest marches against rising poverty under the Zanu PF led government.
- Wed - Aug 21, 2019: Harare's Epworth Has 95 Male Sex Workers, Says Activist - AllAfrica News: Zimbabwe
[New Zimbabwe] Harare's sprawling Epworth township has more than 95 registered men who offer sex services to other men for a living.
- Wed - Aug 21, 2019: Cotton Output Plunges 52% - AllAfrica News: Zimbabwe
[The Herald] Zimbabwe's cotton output is set to decline by 52 percent this year after a severe drought that was experienced last season, according to Agriculture and Marketing Authority.
- Wed - Aug 21, 2019: Power Shortage Haunts Fidelity - AllAfrica News: Zimbabwe
[The Herald] Fildelity Printers and Refiners, a gold buying and printing unit of the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ), says unpredictability of power supply due to limited internal generation capacity, has negatively impacted on its operations.