COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Dominant-Party Presidential Republic
Current President: Emmerson Mnangagwa
Population: 14,030,368 (2018)
Land Size: 390,759 sq km (150,873 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Sat - Oct 19, 2019: Zim Teachers to Work 2 Days a Week, Vow to Dump Formal Clothing - AllAfrica News: Zimbabwe
[New Zimbabwe] ZIMBABWE'S militant teachers' group, Progressive Teachers Union of Zimbabwe (PTUZ) says its members will from next week start reporting for duty only twice a week as they could no longer afford transport fares to and from work.
- Sat - Oct 19, 2019: Striking Doctors Snub Wage Talks As Govt Offers 100% Allowance Increase - AllAfrica News: Zimbabwe
[New Zimbabwe] ZIMBABWE'S striking doctors Friday snubbed wage negotiations in which government pledged an immediate 100 percent increase to their allowances to health workers.
- Sat - Oct 19, 2019: Cyclone Idai Death Toll Set to Double - CPU - AllAfrica News: Zimbabwe
[New Zimbabwe] Chimanimani -Tropical Cyclone Idai's death toll is set to double to over 680 but the announcement will be done only after a five-year administrative wait, an official said.
- Fri - Oct 18, 2019: Mnangagwa Vows Action Against Businesses Hiking Prices - AllAfrica News: Zimbabwe
[New Zimbabwe] President Emmerson Mnangagwa has vowed action against businesses which continue to hike their prices beyond the reach of poor locals.
- Fri - Oct 18, 2019: Malawian Migrants Blame Financial Woes On Sanctions - AllAfrica News: Zimbabwe
[New Zimbabwe] Malawian nationals living in Zimbabwe have been severely affected by their host country's economic tailspin.