COAT OF ARMS
Government: Legal status of territory and issue of sovereignty unresolved
Current President: President in Exile, Brahim Ghali
Population: 619,551 (2018)
Land Size: 266,000 sq km (102,703 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mon - Dec 9, 2019: New Zealand Protesters Stand Up Against 'Stolen Blood Phosphate' Illegally Mined From Occupied Western Sahara - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Christchurch (New Zealand) -New Zealand protesters organised a campaign and water flotilla in Christchurch, on Monday, to stand up against New Zealand company (Ravensdown) boat, "the Federal Crimson" carrying 55,000 tonnes of stolen "blood phosphate" from the illegally occupied territory of Western Sahara, the group of protesters indicated in various information they posted on their facebook pages.
- Wed - Dec 4, 2019: Haidar in an Act in Sweden - 'The Saharawi Cause Is the Responsibility of All Those Who Fight for Peace and Justice' - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Stockholm (Sweden) -The Alternative Nobel Prize 2019, Aminetu Haidar, has asked international organizations and the entire European civil society to mobilize to end the serious human rights violations in the Occupied Areas of Western Sahara.
- Wed - Dec 4, 2019: Aminatou to Swedish Parliament - 'Your Decision to Recognize Sadr Delighted Us, but Failing to Implement It Was Regrettable' - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Stockholm (Sweden) -Saharawi human rights defender and winner of 2019 Rights Livelihood Awar, Mrs. Aminatou Haidar, emphasized in the Swedish Parliament on Monday that the Parliament's decision to recognize the Saharawi Republic in 2012 was delightful but failing to implement it by the Swedish government in 2016 was regrettable.
- Mon - Dec 2, 2019: South Africa Calls On UN to Urgently Appoint a Special Envoy for Western Sahara to Reach Freedom - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Pretoria (South Africa) -South African Minister of External Relations, Dr. Naledi Pandor, called this Monday on the UN Secretary General to urgently appoint a Special Envoy for Western Sahara with an aim to achieve the liberation and freedom of the last colony in Africa.
- Mon - Dec 2, 2019: South African Ministry for FA Organises a Memorial for the Late Saharawi Ambassador Bachir Radhi - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Pretoria (South Africa) -South African Ministry for External Relations and Cooperation organised on Monday morning an official Memorial for the late Saharawi Ambassador to Pretoria, Bachir Radhi, who passed away last Wednesday after a short period of illness.