COAT OF ARMS
Government: Legal status of territory and issue of sovereignty unresolved
Current President: President in Exile, Brahim Ghali
Population: 652,271 (2020)
Land Size: 266,000 sq km (102,703 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mon - Jul 6, 2020: EU Does Not Recognize Morocco's Sovereignty Over Western Sahara - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Brussels -- The High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Josep Borrell, affirmed that the EU's position on Western Sahara is guided by UN Security Council resolutions and considers that Western Sahara is a non-self-governing territory, whose final status will be determined by the results of the UN-led processes, which the EU fully supports.
- Fri - Jul 3, 2020: France Obstructs Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Occupied Western Sahara - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Madrid -- A European university study revealed how France prevented the expansion of the mandate of the UN Mission (MINURSO) to monitor human rights in occupied Western Sahara, in the Council of security of the United Nations.
- Thu - Jul 2, 2020: President of Republic Makes Appointments At Level of Presidency of Republic and Other Institutions - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Chahid El-Hafed -- President of the Republic, Secretary-General of the Frente POLISARIO has issued a decree containing appointments at the Presidency of the Republic and other national institutions, based on the powers conferred on him by the constitution.
- Tue - Jun 30, 2020: President Gali Underlines Need to Continue Complying With Preventive Measures to Keep Camps Free of Covid19 - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Chahid El Hafed -- The President of the Republic, Mr. Brahim Gali, stressed the need to continue adhering to the preventive measures and control of the spread of the noval coronavirus, in order to guarantee that the Camps of Saharawi Refugees and the Liberated Territories of the Saharawi Republic remain free of contagions.
- Tue - Jun 30, 2020: SPLA Dismantles the Drug Trafficking Network and Seizes 3775 Kg of Hashish From Morocco - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Agüenit (Sadr Liberated Areas) -- In the midst of an international health alert due to the effects of COVID-19 where the countries of the region with armored borders, the Saharawi National Army has been forced to redouble efforts and activities in the face of the increase in cells of organized crime and drug trafficking from Morocco through the military wall of occupation that divides the territory of Western Sahara.