COAT OF ARMS
Government: Legal status of territory and issue of sovereignty unresolved
Current President: President in Exile, Brahim Ghali
Population: 652,271 (2020)
Land Size: 266,000 sq km (102,703 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Sep 16, 2020: Bachelet Wants to Dispatch New Mission to Western Sahara - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Geneva (United Nations) -- UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet said Monday, in Geneva, that she "look forward to discussing" the parameters of a new technical mission to Western Sahara in order to "identify critical human rights issues" in the territory.
- Wed - Sep 16, 2020: UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Reported Moroccan Harassment Against Saharawi Human Rights Defenders - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Geneva (UN) -- The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Ms. Michelle Bachelet, informed the UN Human Rights Council about harassment and reprisal of Saharawi human rights defenders by Moroccan authorities, in the annual report of UN Commissioner, her Office and the UN Secretary General.
- Mon - Sep 7, 2020: Boukadoum Reiterates Algeria's Support for Self-Determination Right - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Algiers -- Head of the Algerian diplomacy, Sabri Boukadoum, reiterated Algeria's consistent position regarding the inalienable right of Sahrawi people to self-determination in accordance with international legitimacy.
- Mon - Sep 7, 2020: Sahrawi People's Right to Self-Determination - Polisario Wants Concrete Actions From UN - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] New York (United Nations) -- The Polisario Front said Sunday it expects "concrete actions" from the United Nations that demonstrate the willingness of the UN to hold a referendum on self-determination in occupied Western Sahara, pointing to the inaction of the Security Council and the General Secretariat.
- Mon - Aug 31, 2020: Ministerial Delegation Inspects Units Specialized in Combating Smuggling and Organized Crime - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Liberated Teritories -- The ministerial delegation, which is visiting the liberated territories of the Sahrawi Republic as part of the policy of accelerating their development and reconstruction, has arrived at the headquarters of the Special Units on Combating Smuggling and Organized Crime.