COAT OF ARMS
Government: Legal status of territory and issue of sovereignty unresolved
Current President: President in Exile, Brahim Ghali
Population: 603,253 (2017)
Land Size: 266,000 sq km (102,703 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Oct 19, 2018: UN Adopts Resolution for Self-Determination of Sahrawi People - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] United Nations -The Special Political and Decolonization Committee (Fourth Committee) has adopted a draft resolution on Western Sahara, reaffirming the inalienable right of the Sahrawi people to self-determination.
- Wed - Oct 17, 2018: Algeria Reaffirms Western Sahara 'Is a Decolonization Issue Between Polisario Front, Morocco' - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[Algerie Presse Service] The Western Sahara conflict is a decolonization issue between the Polisario Front and Morocco, affirmed Tuesday in New York Algeria's Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Ambassador Sabri Boukadoum.
- Tue - Oct 16, 2018: Sahel - Prevention and Conflict Management - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[Centre 4s] For the last few years, the Sahel Sahara region has been deeply weakened by violent and multidimensional conflicts. These conflicts affect people, economies, institutions as well as the relationships with the region external partners. Their extension, towards both the Gulfs of Benin and of Guinea will not take long and one has to be blind to ignore it.
- Mon - Oct 15, 2018: Calling for Renewed Efforts to End Decades-old Western Sahara Conflict, Security Council Extends Mission - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[UN] 27 April 2018 - The Security Council today extended the mandate of the United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara (MINURSO) until 31 October 2018, calling for a "realistic, practicable and enduring" political solution to end the decades‑old conflict.
- Mon - Oct 15, 2018: President of Republic Receives South African Deputy Minister of International Relations and Cooperation - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Shaheed Al-Hafed -President of the Republic, Secretary-General of the POLISARIO Front, Brahim Ghali, received on Sunday at the Presidency of the Republic Deputy Minister of International Relations and Cooperation of South Africa, Luwellyn Tyrone Landers, who is on working visit in the Sahrawi Republic.