COAT OF ARMS
Government: Legal status of territory and issue of sovereignty unresolved
Current President: President in Exile, Brahim Ghali
Population: 619,551 (2018)
Land Size: 266,000 sq km (102,703 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Jun 12, 2019: RSF Report - Western Sahara, A News Blackhole - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[RSF] In its report on press freedoms in Western Sahara, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) sheds light on a territory cut off from the rest of the world, a veritable news black hole that has become a no-go zone for journalists.
- Mon - Jun 3, 2019: Moroccan Authorities Deport Sahrawi Human Rights Activist - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] El-Aaiun -The Moroccan authorities have forcibly deported head of the Association for the Protection of Sahrawi Prisoners in the Moroccan Prisons, Abderahman Zayu, from his workplace in El-Aaiun, the occupied capital of Western Sahara, towards Qal'at al-Saragna, north of Marrakech.
- Tue - May 28, 2019: Political Momentum Must Be Maintained On Western Sahara Despite Resignation of UN Envoy - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[Oxfam] After nearly two years in the role, Personal Envoy of the UN Secretary-General for Western Sahara Horst Koehler announced his resignation due to health reasons on 22 May, 2019.
- Sat - May 25, 2019: President of Republic Arrives in South Africa to Take Part in Inauguration of President-Elect Cyril Ramaphosa - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Johannesburg (South Africa) -President of the Republic, Secretary-General of the Frente POLISARIO, Brahim Ghali, arrived in South African city of Johannesburg to take part in the ceremony for the inauguration of South African President-elect Cyril Ramavosa.
- Thu - May 23, 2019: German Ex-President Horst Köhler Quits UN Western Sahara Role - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[Deutsche Welle] Horst Köhler, who was president of Germany for six years, has left his post as UN envoy for the territory of Western Sahara. His departure on health grounds leaves efforts to resolve a decades-long dispute in limbo.