COAT OF ARMS
Government: Legal status of territory and issue of sovereignty unresolved
Current President: President in Exile, Brahim Ghali
Population: 603,253 (2017)
Land Size: 266,000 sq km (102,703 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Sat - Aug 18, 2018: Morocco Transforms Western Sahara Towns Into 'Real Prison' - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Boumerdes -The minister of the Occupied Territories and Saharawi Community Abroad, Bachir Mustapha Sayed, said Moroccan occupation authorities has transformed the towns of occupied Western Sahara into a "real large prison," where "all kinds of human rights abuses are committed."
- Wed - Aug 15, 2018: Where Is Algeria? - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[Moroccan American Center] In 2007, shortly after Morocco tabled its initiative for autonomy to resolve the dispute in Western Sahara, David Welch, at that time the Assistant Secretary of State for the Middle East, told a Congressional committee that the United States welcomed Morocco's proposal and found it "serious and credible." Conversely, he testified, "the Polisario proposal does not seem, in our judgment, to contain new ideas." The Moroccan initiative was a substantial goodwill gesture to address repeated calls since 2003 fro
- Sun - Aug 12, 2018: Pope Francis Receives Sahrawi Children in Vatican - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Rome -Pope Francis received Sahrawi children in the Vatican in Rome, in presence of Polisario Front's representative in Italy Omar Mih and representatives of associations supporting the Sahrawi cause, as well as thousands of people from all over the world who came to visit the Catholic Church headquarters.
- Thu - Aug 9, 2018: Frente Polisario 'Ready and Willing to Engage in the Negotiation Process' - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[Polisario Front] New York -Today, Personal Envoy for Western Sahara Mr. Horst Köhler briefed the UN Security Council on his recent visit to the region and the next steps he intends to take. Taking note of the briefing, the Frente POLISARIO reiterates its commitment to cooperate fully with the Personal Envoy in the framework of the UN political process, and stands ready to engage in the negotiation process, as called for by the Security Council.
- Wed - Aug 8, 2018: Sahrawi Republic and Botswana Establish Diplomatic Relations At Ambassadorial Level - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) -The Sahrawi Republic and the Republic of Botswana signed Monday in Addis Ababa a joint statement on the establishment of diplomatic relations at the ambassadorial level.