COAT OF ARMS
Government: Legal status of territory and issue of sovereignty unresolved
Current President: President in Exile, Brahim Ghali
Population: 619,551 (2018)
Land Size: 266,000 sq km (102,703 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Apr 17, 2019: Frente Polisario´s Representative to UN Meets With UNSC President - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] New York, United States -The representative of the Frente POLISARIO to the United Nations, Dr. Sidi Mohamed Omar, met yesterday with Ambassador Christoph Hooschen, Permanent Representative of Germany to the United Nations and current President of the Security Council.
- Mon - Apr 15, 2019: Security Minister Bids Farewell to Outgoing SADR Ambassador - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Kampala -Minister of Security of the Republic of Uganda, Honorable General Elly Tumwine, on Sunday bid farewell to outgoing Ambassador of the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR) to the Republic of Uganda, Habib Mahfoud Boukhreis.
- Tue - Apr 9, 2019: ANC Reiterates Support for Sahrawi People's Right to Self-Determination and Independence - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Pretoria -The African National Congress (ANC) has reaffirmed support for the right of the Saharawi people to self-determination and independence, in the statement of the Party for the year 2019 regarding international relations and cooperation.
- Mon - Apr 8, 2019: Efforts of UN Personal Envoy Hampered By Morocco's Intransigent Position - President of Republic - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Reykjavik -President of the Republic, Secretary-General of the POLISARIO Front, Brahim Ghali, has reaffirmed that the efforts of the Personal Envoy of the UN Secretary-General for Western Sahara, President Horst Koehler, collide with Morocco's intransigent position, which is contrary to the resolutions of the Security Council, seeks to impose preconditions that deviate from the legal framework of the solution, and violate international legitimacy.
- Fri - Apr 5, 2019: The Saharawi Republic Is a Result of People's Right to Self-Determination - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] The long-standing problem of Western Sahara seems to reach its end as the new Special Envoy of the UNSG, H.E. Hurst Kohler, the Germany's former president, was able to get back on track the negotiations on self-determination of the people of Western Sahara after six years of breakdown. Under his auspices, on 5 and 6 of December last year in Geneva, a roundtable held between both parties of the conflict, the Polisario Front and the kingdom of Morocco, besides to Algeria and Mauritania as observers. Kohler s