COAT OF ARMS
Government: Legal status of territory and issue of sovereignty unresolved
Current President: President in Exile, Brahim Ghali
Population: 603,253 (2017)
Land Size: 266,000 sq km (102,703 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Feb 6, 2019: Oott - Conasadh Asks UN for an Independent and Complete Investigation Into Saharawi Citizen Death Circumstances in Occupied Dakhla - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Bir Lehlu (Liberated Territories of the Saharawi Republic), 05 Feb, 2019 (SPS) - The National Saharawi Commission for Human Rights (CONASADH) asked the United Nations for an independent and complete investigation into the circumstances of the death of Saharawi citizen Sidahmed in occupied Dakhla, accusing the Moroccan occupation government of the legal and criminal responsibility of this atrocious crime and of all the deliberate murders committed against the Sahrawi citizens.
- Fri - Feb 1, 2019: Saharawi Journalist Assaulted By Moroccan Police - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[Fahamu] The coordinator of Saharawi video activist group Equipe Mediawas assaulted, injured and interrogated by Moroccan police in the Moroccan colony of Western Sahara.
- Wed - Jan 30, 2019: Congress of French Communist Youth Endorses Motion in Support of Sahrawi People's Struggle - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Paris (France) -The participants in the 42nd Congress of the French Communist Youth Movement unanimously endorsed a motion on Western Sahara calling for support of the struggle of the Sahrawi people to exercise their right to self-determination, as provided for in international law, the resolutions of the UN General Assembly and Security Council.
- Wed - Jan 30, 2019: UN Security Council Urged to Take Steps to Build Momentum in Peace Talks - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[UN] New York -Earlier today (January 29, 2019), the Personal Envoy of the UN Secretary-General for Western Sahara, Mr Horst Kӧhler, briefed the UN Security Council.
- Thu - Jan 24, 2019: OOTT and Abroad Communities Ministry Slams Moroccan Authorities Repression Against Sahrawi Masses in the Occupied Parts of Western Sahara - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Chahid El Hafed -The Ministry of the Occupied Territories and Abroad Communities has strongly criticized of the Moroccan authorities' repression and harassment against the Sahrawi people the occupied parts of Western Sahara, in communiqué issued by it on the horizon of theThe King of Spain's upcoming visit to Morocco, a copy of which obtained by SPS