COAT OF ARMS
Government: Legal status of territory and issue of sovereignty unresolved
Current President: President in Exile, Brahim Ghali
Population: 619,551 (2018)
Land Size: 266,000 sq km (102,703 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mon - Aug 5, 2019: Aminatou Haidar, the 'Gandhi of Western Sahara' - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] New York -Aminatou Haidar, Sahrawi human rights defense icon was paid a glowing tribute by an American newspaper, labeling her the "Gandhi of Western Sahara" in a long portrait of her career and fight for peace.
- Mon - Aug 5, 2019: Unanimity On Role of Civil, Political Society Organizations in Raising Awareness of Sahrawi Cause - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Boumerdes, New York -Speaking at the Summer University of the executives of the Polisario Front and the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR), Algerian and Sahrawi experts on Saturday unanimously agreed on the need to bolster role of Sahrawi civil and political society organizations in raising the awareness of peoples worldwide of the legitimacy of the Sahrawi cause.
- Wed - Jul 31, 2019: Namibia Reiterates Support for Sahrawi People's Right to Self-Determination and Independence - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Boumerdes, Algeria -Ambassador of Namibia to Algeria, Mrs. Panduleni-Kaino Shingenge, has reiterated the firm support of Namibia for the right of the Sahrawi people to self-determination and independence, in accordance with the relevant United Nations resolutions.
- Wed - Jul 31, 2019: Moroccan Repression - Protection of Unarmed Sahrawis Required - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Boumerdes (Algeria) -Sahrawi Prime Minister Mohamed Wali Akeik called Saturday, in Boumerdes (50-km east of Algiers), on the UN Security Council and the UN Secretary-General to "assume full responsibility" in the protection of disarmed Sahrawi people, facing Moroccan repression.
- Tue - Jul 30, 2019: Finan and Vermeren - EU Violates Rulings of the European Court On Western Sahara to Pay the 'Good Conduct' of Morocco - AllAfrica News: Western Sahara
[SPS] Paris (France) -Mrs. Khadija Mohsen-Finan and Mr. Pierre Vermeren, assured in a collective article they published on July 27th on the French newspaper "Le Monde", that in order to pay the "good conduct" of Morocco, the European Union did not hesitate to violate the judgments of the European Court of Justice relating to Western Sahara.