COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Yoweri Museveni
Population: 43,252,966 (2020)
Land Size: 241,038 sq km (93,072 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Jul 7, 2020: Miners Reveal Tales of Horror Meted Out By Police Minerals Protection Unit - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[Oil in Uganda] From the onset, they were only muffled voices as victims of persecution feared to speak out. Nonetheless, word always seeped from deep within the hills of Kassanda district, of horrific tales of torture at the hands of what has now become hostile security agents, notably among them, officers of the police minerals protection unit (PMPU).
- Tue - Jul 7, 2020: Civil Society Fraternity Voices Concern Over Capture of Mining Sector - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[Oil in Uganda] Early this year a shocking video footage of heavily armed security personnel facing off with other security colleagues emerged in the media. In the footage, armed men dressed in counter-terrorism police uniforms were seen exchanging with colleagues from another unit in a heated exchange that nearly degenerated into a fully blown shootout. The footage showed police struggling to restrain a colleague dressed in regular police uniform who engaged in a heated exchange with the heavily armed personnel, but even
- Tue - Jul 7, 2020: 10 Arrested Over Makerere Student's Murder - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[Monitor] Police in Kampala say they have arrested at least 10 people in connection to the murder of a third year veterinary student of Makerere University.
- Tue - Jul 7, 2020: Court Blocks Sacking of Mak University Secretary - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[Monitor] Kampala -- The High Court in Kampala has blocked the suspension of Makerere University Secretary, Dr Charles Barugahare, until the case challenging his forced leave is finalised.
- Tue - Jul 7, 2020: Four New Cities Lack Piped Water - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[Monitor] Kampala -- The Ministry of Local Government has said it is beginning to plan the creation of standard social amenities in the seven new cities, which became operational last week.