COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Yoweri Museveni
Land Size: 241,038 sq km (93,072 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Fri - Aug 18, 2017: Soldiers Beat Man to Death - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[Monitor] Grief struck residents of Mutungo ward in Kampala after a resident was killed in what locals called cold blood.
- Fri - Aug 18, 2017: Seventh Woman Murdered in Entebbe - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[Monitor] Barely a week after the murder of one Sarah Nakajjo, in Nkumba Bufulu, residents of neighbouring Kasenyi were left in shock last evening, after the body of Aisha Nakasinde a 25-year-old food vendor, was found murdered in the same way.
- Fri - Aug 18, 2017: Former Ambassador Found Guilty of Hate Speech - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[News24Wire] Former ambassador to Uganda Jon Qwelane was found guilty of hate speech, in the South Gauteng High Court on Friday. Judge Dimpheletse Moshidi said, "The offending statement is hurtful, harmful and incites propaganda hate towards the LGBT community."Moshidi said that Qwelane must turn to the LGBT community with an unconditional apology within 30 days.
- Fri - Aug 18, 2017: Pambazuka Essays Spur Entreprenueral and Intellectual Debate At Kampala International University - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[Fahamu] Like many young people across Africa, Ugandan youth face the challenge of acquiring appropriate skills and deploying them in achieving their dreams. An essay competition at Kampala International University gave students the opportunity to reflect on this issue and to explore solutions to youth unemployment.
- Fri - Aug 18, 2017: Museveni Concedes to Oppositon On Proposed Land Law Changes - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[RFI] Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni is to set up a special committee to examine land law after charges that proposed amendments to it will fuel land-grabbing. Plans to sell 10,000 hectares of land for investment have already sparked naked protests in the north of the country.