COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Yoweri Museveni
Population: 40,853,749 (2018)
Land Size: 241,038 sq km (93,072 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Apr 9, 2020: 27 Criminal Files Lined Up Against Businessman Abid Alam, Says Col Nakalema - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[Monitor] The State House Anti-Corruption Unit on Wednesday handed city businessman Abid Alam over to the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) to for questioning into alleged crimes he committed last Saturday at Bukoba and Bukompe villages, Nalutuntu Parish, Nalutuntu Sub County in Kassanda South Constituency.
- Thu - Apr 9, 2020: Foreigners Bribe Security to Cross Borders - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[Monitor] Continuous infiltration of foreigners into the country through secret border points after bribing security forces is frustrating the government strategy to curb the spread of deadly coronavirus.
- Thu - Apr 9, 2020: Coronavirus - MPs Question Plan for House to Sit in Shifts - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[Monitor] Kampala -Dr Diana Atwine the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health in a Thursday morning tweet questioned the continuous sitting of Parliament in the wake of Covid-19 pandemic, yet one of the guidelines to stop the disease is social distancing.
- Thu - Apr 9, 2020: Forces On the Spot Over Women Beating in Arua - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[Monitor] Two elderly women in Arua District are nursing injuries they sustained during the implementation of presidential directives aimed at controlling the spread of the global coronavirus endemic.
- Thu - Apr 9, 2020: Employers Ask Government to Suspend NSSF, Paye - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[Monitor] Employers and workers through their associations have asked government to differ collection of Pay As You Earn (PAYE), National Social Security Fund (NSSF) and Value Added Tax (VAT) to enable them go through the lockdown that has seen most businesses temporarily close.