COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Yoweri Museveni
Population: 40,853,749 (2018)
Land Size: 241,038 sq km (93,072 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Jan 23, 2020: 2021 General Elections Will Be Free, Fair - Government - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[Monitor] With less than a year to the start of the 2021 general election campaigns, government has promised to comply with the key principles of the African Charter on Democracy, Elections and Governance- (ACDEG) by holding free and fair elections come 2021.
- Thu - Jan 23, 2020: Sheema Service Commission On the Spot Over Corruption - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[Monitor] Councillors in Sheema have resolved to suspend the district service commission over allegations of corruption.
- Thu - Jan 23, 2020: Mukono Councillors Oppose Government Directive On Hospital Management - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[Monitor] Mukono Municipal councillors have unanimously rejected a government directive to hand over the newly-elevated hospital to Mukono District.
- Thu - Jan 23, 2020: Exports Grow Despite Regional Trade Wars - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[Monitor] Despite border disputes and export blockades imposed on some of Uganda's goods, exports grew in 2019, according to data from Uganda Export Promotions Board (UEPB).
- Thu - Jan 23, 2020: FDC Rules Out Coalition With People Power Group - AllAfrica News: Uganda
[Monitor] The Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) party secretary general, Mr Nathan Nandala Mafabi, has ruled out any possibility of forming a coalition with People Power pressure movement, saying it is not a political party.