COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Beji Caid Essebsi
Population: 11,516,189 (2018)
Land Size: 164,150 sq km (63,378 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Apr 24, 2019: Expanding Trade Across the Maghreb - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[IMF] In 1989, the five Maghreb countries - Algeria, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco and Tunisia - established the Arab Maghreb Union to promote cooperation and economic integration. Thirty years later, there is still a largely untapped potential for regional trade among Maghreb countries.
- Mon - Apr 15, 2019: CAF Confed Cup - Sfaxien Victorious At Home and Through to the Semis - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[CAF] CS Sfaxien beat Nkana 2-0 in Sfax, Tunisia, on Sunday for a spot a the semi-finals of the Confederation Cup.
- Thu - Apr 11, 2019: Tunisian Investors Prospect Cameroon - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[Cameroon Tribune] Managers of some 10 companies from Tunisia will spend one week in Cameroon to avail themselves of investment opportunities.
- Mon - Apr 8, 2019: President Says He Wants to 'Open the Door to Youth', Will Not Run Again - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[RFI] Tunisian's 92-year-old president told Nidaa Tounes party members at the national conference on Saturday that he would be stepping aside at the end of his term and would not stand for re-election in November.
- Fri - Apr 5, 2019: Truth Commission Outlines Decades of Abuse - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[HRW] Tunis -Tunisia's Truth and Dignity Commission on March 26, 2019 made public its five-volume report analyzing and exposing the institutional networks that enabled human rights abuses over five decades, Human Rights Watch said today. The commission outlined the role of former presidents Habib Bourguiba and Zine el- Abidine Ben Ali and other top officials in the torture, arbitrary detention, and numerous other abuses of thousands of Tunisians.