COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Beji Caid Essebsi
Population: 11,516,189 (2018)
Land Size: 164,150 sq km (63,378 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Aug 21, 2019: Politics Splinters As Presidential Election Approaches - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[Chatham House] After close to 100 candidate applications, Tunisia's presidential election on 15 September will feature 27 confirmed candidates, reflecting the country's fluid political situation and an ongoing split between traditional parties and alliances and enduring anti-establishment populism. The election has been moved up from its originally scheduled November date following the death of President Beji Caid Essebsi on 25 July.
- Mon - Aug 19, 2019: Battle of Carthage - Tunisia Demolishes Homes to Protect Ancient Site - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Carthage, Tunisia -Sessi's house and nine other buildings were razed to the ground in a government operation to clear illegal homes from the area that used to be a battleground for gladiators
- Fri - Aug 16, 2019: Young Democracy Faces Its Toughest Test - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[The Conversation Africa] Tunisia has been popularly hailed as the only successful political transition to emerge from the wider Arab Spring movement. The culmination of this transition was the election of Mohamed Beji Caid Essebsi in 2014.
- Thu - Aug 15, 2019: 26 Presidential Candidates Approved to Run Next Month - Electoral Commission - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[RFI] Tunisia's electoral commission has approved some 26 candidates, including two women, to run for president next month, it announced on Wednesday. Some 71 other applicants were denied a spot on the ballot.
- Fri - Aug 9, 2019: Changing the Migration Horizon From North Africa to Europe - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[ISS] New leadership is coming into power at the European Union (EU). In July, newly elected and re-elected members of parliament began their work at the European Parliament. In November the top leadership will change.