COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Beji Caid Essebsi
Population: 11,000,000 (2014)
Land Size: 164,150 sq km (63,378 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Sat - Jan 20, 2018: Why Tunisians Are Back On the Streets 7 Yrs After Jasmine Revolution - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[The Conversation Africa] Seven years ago in January a popular uprising in Tunisia ousted President Zine el-Abidine Ben Ali. This year over 770 Tunisian civilians have been detained and one civilian has been killed in protests that commemorated what became known as the Jasmine Revolution.
- Tue - Jan 16, 2018: Rulers Fail to Live Up to Arab Spring Promise - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[RFI] Nearly one thousand people have been arrested in Tunisia in the biggest wave of social unrest since the revolution. Anger at new austerity measures has brought hundreds of Tunisians back onto the streets with the same demands they did back in 2011. Seven years on, protesters say the government has failed to live up to the promises of the Arab Spring.
- Mon - Jan 15, 2018: Fresh Protests in Tunisia On Anniversary of Arab Spring Uprising - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[Deutsche Welle] The anti-austerity rallies are the latest to hit Tunisia since the beginning of January. Sunday marks seven years since the North African country's peaceful transition to democracy.
- Sun - Jan 14, 2018: Tunisia Plans Social Reforms After Wave of Anti-Austerity Protests - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[Deutsche Welle] Tunisia's government has announced a new package of social reforms worth nearly $70 million. The North African country has been rocked by protests ahead of the seventh anniversary of the Arab Spring uprising.
- Fri - Jan 12, 2018: Police Harass Journalists Covering Tunisia Protests - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[RSF] Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns police harassment of journalists covering a ten-day-old wave of anti-austerity protests in Tunisia. The pressure has included the brief detention and interrogation of one reporter and the confiscation of another's phone.