COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Beji Caid Essebsi
Population: 11,403,800 (2017)
Land Size: 164,150 sq km (63,378 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Dec 13, 2018: Al-Bashir Lauds Sudan-Tuninsia Cooperation - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[SNA] Khartoum -President of the Republic, Field Marshal, Omer Al-Bashir has commended the joint cooperation between Sudan and Tunisia in all domains.
- Thu - Dec 13, 2018: Tunisia's Assault On Gay Men's--and Everyone's - Right to Privacy - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[HRW] "Ahmed" (not his real name) was only 17 when police came to his house in August 2017, searched his phone, interrogated him, and detained him. The next day, they took him to a hospital.
- Thu - Dec 13, 2018: Parliament Should Back Gender Equality in Inheritance - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[HRW] Tunis -Tunisia's parliament should take the landmark step of granting women equal rights in inheritance, Human Rights Watch said today. President Beji Caid Essebsi formally submitted a draft law to parliament on November 28, 2018, asking for urgent action on the measure.
- Mon - Dec 10, 2018: Libya Is Shutting Down El Sharara After Field Seized By Tribesmen - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Benghazi /Libya -Libya is shutting down production at its biggest oilfield after tribesmen and state security guards seized the El Sharara facility, field engineers and protesters said on Sunday, but there was no confirmation from state oil firm NOC.
- Thu - Dec 6, 2018: Coastline in Need of Climate Cash Boost - AllAfrica News: Tunisia
[Africa Renewal] Efforts to mobilize the cash needed to ensure that climate change does not lead to the irreversible damage of Tunisia's coastline are being undertaken by the North African country's government, with the support of the UN Development Programme (UNDP).