COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Faure Gnassingbé
Population: 7,552,318 (2015)
Land Size: 56,785 sq km (21,925 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Wed - Sep 20, 2017: Govt to Hold Referendum On Presidential Limit - AllAfrica News: Togo
[Togonews] Togo will hold a referendum to decide on the politically divisive issue of presidential term limits following weeks of intense protests by opposition parties.
- Mon - Sep 18, 2017: Togo Panel Approves Constitutional Reform Plan - AllAfrica News: Togo
[Togonews] A parliamentary panel on Friday approved a bill to revamp the constitution and introduce a presidential term limit.
- Fri - Sep 15, 2017: Gagging of the Media - Journalists Barred From Covering Demonstration - AllAfrica News: Togo
[MFWA] Two senior journalists were prevented from covering the recent demonstrations in Togo by the authorities in the country, with the camera of one of them seized.
- Wed - Sep 13, 2017: No Time to Waste in Implementing Togo's Reforms - AllAfrica News: Togo
[ISS] Weeks after their first protest on 19 August that led to two deaths, opposition parties in Togo continue to maintain pressure on the government. As a result of this and last month's demonstrations by thousands of people in several cities and among the diaspora, the government adopted a draft of a consitutional reform bill on 5 September.
- Tue - Sep 12, 2017: Togo Should Learn From the Gambia - AllAfrica News: Togo
[Foroyaa] The call for change of government after decades of rule by one family is echoing the clarion call for an end to self-perpetuating rule which governed the Campaign of Coalition 2016 during last year' presidential election in The Gambia.