COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Faure Gnassingbé
Population: 8,176,449 (2018)
Land Size: 56,785 sq km (21,925 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Jun 14, 2019: Nation Failing in Mission to Eradicate Child Labour, Says UN Rapporteur - AllAfrica News: Togo
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Dakar -Togo ranks 45th out of 167 countries on the Modern Slavery Index, which estimates that 50,000 people are slaves in the country of 7.4 million
- Mon - Jun 10, 2019: First Togo-European Union Economic Forum - AllAfrica News: Togo
[Togonews] The government of Togo, in close collaboration with the Delegation of the European Union to Togo, is organising the first Togo-EU Economic Forum - 'Le Rendez-vous des opportunites'.
- Tue - May 28, 2019: A New Off-Grid Operator in Togo - AllAfrica News: Togo
[Togonews] The Off-grid is the cheapest and fastest way to connect rural people to electricity. The Togolese government has understood this well by launching a few months ago a project called 'CIZO' which aims to connect 2 million inhabitants in the next five years through solar kits.
- Tue - May 28, 2019: UN Expert On Contemporary Forms of Slavery to Visit Togo - AllAfrica News: Togo
[OHCHR] Geneva / Lome -During her country visit, Bhoola will focus on issues such as forced labour, domestic servitude and child labour in different sectors. The Special Rapporteur also wishes to assess how the Government of Togo is preventing and addressing these harmful phenomena.
- Fri - May 17, 2019: Togo Authorities Urged to Investigate Attack On Journalist's Car - AllAfrica News: Togo
[RSF] Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls on the Togolese authorities to conduct a swift and thorough investigation into a clearly targeted attack on investigative reporter Loïc Lawson's car after he published a story about a questionable real estate acquisition involving a minister.