COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Faure Gnassingbé
Population: 7,552,318 (2015)
Land Size: 56,785 sq km (21,925 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Sat - Jan 20, 2018: Nation Needs International Support to Overcome Stalemate - AllAfrica News: Togo
[ISS] While Togo's political and civil society actors agree that political dialogue is vital in order to bring stability to the country, political actors disagree on the dialogue's nature, format, objectives and prerequisites. African Union (AU) president Alpha Condé proposed 23 and 26 January for the opening of the talks following his 15 and 16 January meeting with the coalition of 14 opposition parties. The dialogue was initially announced by Togo's President Faure Gnassingbé in November 2017.
- Sat - Jan 13, 2018: Africa's Generational War - AllAfrica News: Togo
[Democracy Works] In Kenya, President Uhuru Kenyatta finally secured a second term on Nov. 28 after two flawed elections, outbreaks of violence, and a series of court battles.
- Fri - Jan 12, 2018: Govt Bans Opposition Demonstrations in Three Cities Over 'Security Concerns' - AllAfrica News: Togo
[MFWA] In a continuing show of force against opposition demonstrators and citizens, authorities in Togo have announced a ban on political rallies in three cities in the north of the country - Sokodé, Bafilo and Mango.
- Thu - Jan 11, 2018: Mixed Outlook for Africa in 2018 - AllAfrica News: Togo
[Chatham House] Africa's political and economic trends, as well as its security arrangements, will continue to diverge in the coming year.
- Thu - Jan 11, 2018: Oyinlomo Quadri, Marylove Coast to Medals Zone At 2018 AjJC Qualifiers in Togo - AllAfrica News: Togo
[Guardian] Team Nigeria continued to justify its high rating at the 2018 ITF/CAT West and Central Africa Junior Championship Qualifiers in Togo, as four of its players set up semifinal meetings in the boy's 16 and under, as well as the boys' 14 and under categories.