Examine the two maps, then answer the questions below:
- What is the difference between these two maps?
- Which of the two maps is the most accurate image of Africa in the world?
Answer the following questions on your own, and then discuss your answers with a partner. Make sure to get a discussion happening.
- What happens when we see maps of Africa that show it being very small?
- How does that influence the way we think about Africa?
- What do we think when we see maps that show the United States being just about as big as Africa, even though in reality Africa is much, much bigger?
- What do you think now that you see how big Africa is?