Current President: Joseph Kabila
- Much economic activity still occurs in the informal sector and is not reflected in GDP data.
- Renewed activity in the mining sector, the source of most export income, boosted Kinshasa’s fiscal position and GDP growth from 2006-08.
- Main exports: diamonds, copper, coffee, cobalt, and crude oil.
Population: 67.7 million (UN 2011)
Land Size: 2.34 million sq km (905,354 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Over 200 African ethnic groups
- Majority are Bantu (make up about 45% of the population);
- Kongo (all Bantu)
- Mangbetu-Azande (Hamitic)
- Roman Catholic: 50%
- Protestant: 20%
- Kimbanguist: 10%
- Muslim: 10%
- Other (includes syncretic sects and indigenous beliefs): 10%
- French (official)
- Lingala (a lingua franca trade language)
- Kingwana (a dialect of Kiswahili or Swahili)