Government: Republic; Multiparty Presidential Regime
Current President: Paul Biya
- Modest oil reserves and favorable agricultural conditions lend Cameroon one of the best-endowed primary commodity economies in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Commercial and economic leader in the sub-region.
- Highly dependent on commodity exports.
- Despite this, the economy in Cameroon suffers from economic mismanagement, pervasive corruption, and a challenging business environment (for local and foreign investors).
Population: 20 million (UN 2011)
Land Size: 475,442 sq km (183,568 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Cameroon Highlanders: 31%
- Equatorial Bantu: 19%
- Kirdi: 11%
- Fulani: 10%
- Northwestern Bantu: 8%
- Eastern Nigritic: 7%
- Other African: 13%
- Non-African: < 1%
- Indigenous beliefs: 40%
- Christian: 40%
- Muslim: 20%
- 24 major African language groups
- English (official)
- French (official)