COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Dar Es Salaam
Government: Unitary Presidential Socialist Republic
Current President: Dr. John Magufuli
Population: 58,552,845 (2020)
Land Size: 945,087 sq km (364,900 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
note: Kiswahili (Swahili) is the mother tongue of the Bantu people living in Zanzibar and nearby coastal Tanzania; although Kiswahili is Bantu in structure and origin, its vocabulary draws on a variety of sources including Arabic and English; it has become the lingua franca of central and eastern Africa; the first language of most people is one of the local languages.
- Fri - Nov 27, 2020: Elections Provide a Global Lesson in Democracy - AllAfrica News: Tanzania
[Africa In Fact] While outgoing US President Donald Trump has repeated tantrums at the prospect of leaving the White House, a lesson in democracy from Malawi is worth paying closer attention to. Lazarus Chakwera was inaugurated as Malawi's sixth president on 6 July 2020 after winning a historic election, which was held after the judiciary overturned the 2019 presidential election and called for a fresh election. This is only the second time this has happened in an African country.
- Fri - Nov 27, 2020: Jamii Forums Founder Maxence Melo Convicted On Obstruction Charge, Released in Tanzania - AllAfrica News: Tanzania
[CPJ] Nairobi -- The Committee to Protect Journalists today expressed concern about the conviction of Maxence Melo, founder of the Tanzanian online discussion platform Jamii Forums, on charges of obstruction.
- Fri - Nov 27, 2020: Call for Tanzanians to Undergo Hepatitis B Screening - AllAfrica News: Tanzania
[Daily News] TANZANIANS have been urged to turn up for early screening of Hepatitis B as indications show the disease is on the increase.
- Fri - Nov 27, 2020: KCB to Acquire Two Banks in Rwanda and Tanzania - AllAfrica News: Tanzania
[Nation] KCB Group Plc has entered a deal to buy out two banks in Rwanda and Tanzania in what will cement its dominance in the East African region, weeks after its main rival Equity Bank pulled out of a similar deal.
- Fri - Nov 27, 2020: Bancabc Exits Tanzania As It Enters Debt Talks - AllAfrica News: Tanzania
[Daily News] Atlas Mara Ltd, the African banking group started by former Barclays Chief Executive Officer Bob Diamond, agreed to sell its Rwandan and Tanzanian operations as the lender started talks with debt holders about upcoming repayments.