COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Lobamba (royal/legislative,) Mbabane (administrative)
Government: Unitary Parliamentary Absolute Diarchy
Current King: Mswati III
Land Size: 17,364 sq km (6,704 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Thu - Jan 18, 2018: Human Rights Watch Calls Out Six Nations on Violations - AllAfrica News: Swaziland
[HRW] Johannesburg -Southern African governments clamped down on vocal journalists, activists, and opposition politicians in 2017, Human Rights Watch said today in its World Report 2018 .
- Thu - Jan 18, 2018: Swaziland Civil Liberties Worsen - AllAfrica News: Swaziland
[Swazi Media] Civil liberties in Swaziland have deteriorated in the past year, a leading global freedom group has reported.
- Mon - Jan 15, 2018: Swaziland Near Last for Human Rights - AllAfrica News: Swaziland
[Swazi Media] Swaziland's economy is in free fall and the infrastructure of the kingdom ruled by King Mswati III as sub-Saharan Africa's last absolute monarch is crumbling. Government bills go unpaid and the health service is near collapse. There is no money to pay state pensions to those who reach the eligible age of 60 this year. Public servants have been on strike and look certain to do so again in the coming months. Members of the Swaziland Amy with the support of their commanders have systematically sexually assaul
- Tue - Jan 9, 2018: Schools Crisis Over Christian Teaching - AllAfrica News: Swaziland
[Swazi Media] Swaziland's schools are in crisis because of lack of funds and teachers, the kingdom's Minister of Education and Training Phineas Magagula said.
- Sun - Jan 7, 2018: 'Editor Flees After Death Threat' - AllAfrica News: Swaziland
[Swazi Media] Swazi editor Zweli Martin Dlamini has fled to neighbouring South Africa after he received death threats. He had written a story about absolute monarch King Mswati III's shady dealings in the telecommunications industry, writes Kenworthy News Media.