COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Federal Presidential Republic
Current President: Omar al-Bashir
Land Size: 1.8 million sq km (728,215 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Wed - May 24, 2017: North Darfur State's Workers Trade Union Hails Victories Achieved By Armed Forces and RSF - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[SNA] Al-Fasher -The Workers Trade Union of North Darfur State has highly commended victories scored by the Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) over rebels and mercenaries during the past days , an attempt that aimed to get Darfur back to court of war after state of peace and stability the region experienced during the past period.
- Wed - May 24, 2017: National Prime Minister Affirms Sudan Readiness to Boost Joint Arab Work - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[SNA] Khartoum -The First Vice-President of the Republic and National Prime Minister, Lt. Gen. Bakri Hassan Salih has underlined Sudan readiness to work for boosting the joint Arab work ina way that serves interests of the Arab and Islamic nation.
- Wed - May 24, 2017: Port Sudan Students Expelled, Suspended, Fined for Sit-in - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Port Sudam -On Tuesday the administration of the Red Sea University in Port Sudan issued decisions of final and temporary dismissal and imposed stiff fines on 17 students who organised a sit-in at the university demanding better services and postponement of examinations.
- Wed - May 24, 2017: 12 Dead, Homes Destroyed in South Darfur Ammo Dump Blast - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Nyala -At least 12 people have died, 18 others injured, and hundreds of homes destroyed after catastrophic explosions rocked an ammunition storage facility in the South Darfur capital of Nyala on Sunday evening.
- Wed - May 24, 2017: Anger Over Cost of New El Gedaref State Legislative Council Building - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] El Gedaref -Residents and activists in El Gedaref have expressed dismay at the state government's allocation of SDG 420 million ($62 million) for the construction of a new headquarters for the State Legislative Council.