COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Federal Presidential Republic
Current President: Omar al-Bashir
Land Size: 1.8 million sq km (728,215 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Tue - Jan 23, 2018: Mounting Insecurity Halts Arusha Vegetable Exports to S. Sudan - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Daily News] Arusha -WITH mounting security concerns among truck owners ferrying farm produce from Tanzania to South-Sudan via Kenya, onion producers in Arusha have temporarily suspended vegetable exports to Juba.
- Mon - Jan 22, 2018: It Is the Economy - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[SudaNow] The tense situation currently engulfing the country is a result of long delayed economic measures that should have been implemented seven years ago, when South Sudan opted for separation taking with it more than 75 percent of known oil reserves that has been providing the treasury with hard currency.
- Mon - Jan 22, 2018: CHAN 2018 - Sudan Goalie Ends Morocco's Winning Run - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[CAF] Playmaker Achraf Bencharki missed a penalty five minutes into the second half as Sudan held Morocco in an entertaining goalless draw in their Group A ultimate clash on Sunday in Casablanca.
- Sun - Jan 21, 2018: Protests Over Price Hikes Continue - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum / Rabak -On Friday, demonstrations against the huge price hikes continued in the Sudanese capital for the fourth day in a row. Protests were also reported in Rabak, the capital of White Nile State.
- Fri - Jan 19, 2018: Sudan Arrests Journalists, Confiscates Papers for Reporting On Inflation Protests - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[CPJ] New York -Sudanese authorities should cease harassing and arresting journalists and confiscating newspapers, and should allow journalists to report on matters of public interest without fear of reprisal, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.