COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Federal Presidential Republic
Current President: Omar al-Bashir
Population: 43,120,843 (2018)
Land Size: 1.8 million sq km (728,215 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: EAC Speakers Question S. Sudan, Rwanda Absence From Meeting - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Monitor] The Speakers of parliaments from the East African Community (EAC) member states yesterday questioned the absence of Rwanda and South Sudan from the annual forum held at Kampala Serena Hotel to discuss regional integration.
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: Open Letter to the Friends of Sudan - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[ICG] Dear Friends of Sudan,
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: NGO Reveals Secret Financial Network of Main Militia - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] London -The Rapid Support Forces (RSF) militia, that supported the regime of ousted president Al Bashir, has built up a vast business empire that captured not only a large part of the country's gold industry, but has huge interests in many sectors of the Sudanese economy. The anti-corruption NGO Global Witness has published a report about the financial networks behind the RSF and their commander Lt Gen Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo 'Hemeti'.
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: Escalating Cycle of Violence in Eastern Sudan - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Port Sudan -On Monday, angry protestors closed the main roads from and to the city of Kassala, as a reaction to an assault by a Sudanese army force on civilians in Abugamol in Reefi Kassala locality on Saturday that resulted in the injury of 15 people.
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: Government Will Not Frustrate People Who Aspire for Peace - Daglo - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[SNA] Juba -Deputy Chairman of the Sovereignty Council, Lt. Gen. Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, stressed that the government will not frustrate the Sudanese people and leaders of the armed struggle movements who aspire for peace and that it is determined to achieve peace sooner rather than later.