COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Federal Presidential Republic
Current President: Omar al-Bashir
Population: 37,345,935 (2017)
Land Size: 1.8 million sq km (728,215 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mon - Aug 20, 2018: Eid Approaches, Food Prices Rise in Sudan - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Nyala / Kassala -Costs for food have gone up in several Sudanese states, while many government employees in South Darfur state have not received their salary for July. The situation has caused long queues in front of ATMs in Kassala.
- Mon - Aug 20, 2018: Celebrating Eid 'No Priority' for Sudan's Flood Victims - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Kassala / En Nahud / Darfur -Thousands of people still live in the open Kassala state after floods and rains caused the collapse of homes and buildings, days ahead of Eid El Adha. "My children asked me how our relatives can possibly visit us for the feast."
- Mon - Aug 20, 2018: Women Protest Drowning of Children At Khartoum Ministry - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum -Dozens of women staged a demonstration outside Khartoum's Ministry of Education yesterday after 22 students and a woman drowned in River Nile state on Wednesday.
- Mon - Aug 20, 2018: Security Service Bars Activist From Leaving Sudan - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum -The Sudanese security service barred a civil society activist from travelling from Khartoum Airport to Cairo, under the pretext that she has been permanently banned from travelling abroad.
- Mon - Aug 20, 2018: SPLM-N Agar - New Report On Reforms Needed for Democracy and Social Justice - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum -The Sudan People's Liberation Movement-North led by Malik Agar (SPLM-N Agar) has released a comprehensive study prepared by an independent panel of Sudanese experts on the key reforms needed to establish a democratic regime and social justice in Sudan.