COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Federal Presidential Republic
Current President: Omar al-Bashir
Population: 45,561,556 (2020)
Land Size: 1.8 million sq km (728,215 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Aug 3, 2021: Sudan's Nile Valley Reels As Flood Levels Peak - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] El Gezira / El Gedaref / Sennar -- High water levels and floods have wreaked havoc in El Gezira, El Gedaref, and Sennar states, as heavy rains continue to swell rivers, however Sudan's flood committee predicts that Nile levels will stabilise during the next three days.
- Tue - Aug 3, 2021: Violence Continues As Occupying Militants Refuse to Leave North Darfur Farms - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Tawila / El Fasher -- A farmer was killed and four others were injured on Sunday, when gunmen opened fire in the Gallab area in Tawila, North Darfur, in a continuation of the violence at the weekend that displaced hundreds of people.
- Tue - Aug 3, 2021: USAID Head - U.S.$700 Million to Support Sudan's 'Complex and Daunting' Transition - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum / Darfur -- Samantha Power, the Executive Director of the US Agency for International Development (USAID), has affirmed the determination of the Biden administration to move forward with its development partnership with Sudan to accomplish the tasks of the transition, which she described as complex and daunting.
- Tue - Aug 3, 2021: Cautious Optimism in Port Sudan As Spike in Covid-19 Cases Wanes - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Ayin English] The number of registered Covid-19 cases in Port Sudan, Red Seat State, declined in late July, says Dr. Alam al-Huda Abu-Keleb, Director of the Quarantine Administration and Epidemics Control Unit in the Federal Ministry. From mid-June into the third week of July this year, citizens of Port Sudan were burying 40 - 50 of their loved ones daily due to the pandemic. This figure decreased by nearly a half in the past week.
- Tue - Aug 3, 2021: New HIV Treatment Starts in Sudan - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[SudaNow] Khartoum -- The Federal Ministry of Health (FMoH), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), World Health Organization (WHO) and partners have commenced the roll-out of a new HIV treatment in Sudan, supported by the Global Fund.