COAT OF ARMS
Government: Federal Republic
Current President: Omar Bashir
Land Size: 1.8 million sq km (728,215 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Fri - Feb 24, 2017: DA Lays Criminal Charges for Government-Aided Al-Bashir Escape - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[DA] Today the Democratic Alliance (DA) lays criminal charges against members of Cabinet, the SAPS, Hawks, the NPA and senior government officials for contravening both the Rome Statute, as well as a High Court Order in aiding and abetting the prohibited escape of warlord Omar Al Bashir from South Africa in June of 2015.
- Fri - Feb 24, 2017: Opposition Party Lays Charges Against Govt Over Al-Bashir - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[News24Wire] DA leader Mmusi Maimane laid charges against the ministers of home affairs and international relations in Cape Town on Friday for letting Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir slip out of South Africa in 2015 to avoid being handed to the International Criminal Court (ICC).
- Fri - Feb 24, 2017: Armed Robberies - Central Darfur Woman Killed, Two Injured in South Kordofan - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Deleig / Abbasiya -A woman has died of gunshot wounds after militants stormed a shop in Deleig camp for the displaced in Central Darfur on Tuesday.
- Fri - Feb 24, 2017: 600 Homeless After East Darfur Camp Blaze - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Ed Daein -More than 600 people have been left homeless, destitute, and without food after a fire that broke out at camp El Neem north of Ed Daein in East Darfur destroyed 100 homes on Wednesday. One of the camp sheikhs explained that the intense wind helped the fire to spread. Provisions and agricultural crops were also destroyed, however no injuries or loss of life were reported.
- Fri - Feb 24, 2017: Detained Dr Mudawi Subject to 'Smear Campaign' By Sudan's State Media - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum -Detained Sudanese human rights defender Dr Mudawi Ibrahim is being subjected to a smear campaign by newspapers controlled by the National Intelligence and Security Service (NISS), according to his lawyer.