COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Federal Presidential Republic
Current President: Omar al-Bashir
Population: 45,561,556 (2020)
Land Size: 1.8 million sq km (728,215 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Nov 27, 2020: It's Time for Results As Sudan Enters Second Year of NDC Partnership - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[IPS] Khartoum -- Earlier this year, when heavy rains caused massive flooding in Sudan, a three-month state of emergency was declared in September. The floods which began in July, were the worst the country experienced in the last three decades and affected some 830,000 people, including 125,000 refugees and internally displaced people.
- Fri - Nov 27, 2020: Khartoum Tightens Cybercrime Law As Army Pursues "Fake News" - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[CPJ] Dura Qambo was on vacation in Egypt in July when a friend called to warn her to stop criticizing the Sudanese army online, she told CPJ. Earlier that day, the army had announced on Facebook that it had appointed a Special Commissioner in May to sue anyone who insults or defames the military on the internet.
- Fri - Nov 27, 2020: Recent Amnesty Resolution Undermines the Prospects for Accountability and Peace - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[International Justice Monitor] Who would have believed that an agreement with Darfuri armed movement's leaders would be used to justify granting amnesty to the Janjaweed for atrocities committed against innocent civilians in Darfur? And yet, that appears to be exactly what has happened.
- Fri - Nov 27, 2020: UN High Commissioner for Refugees Visits Sudan As New Refugee Arrivals Cross 43,000 - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[UNHCR] This is a summary of what was said by UNHCR spokesperson Babar Baloch -- to whom quoted text may be attributed -- at today's press briefing at the Palais des Nations in Geneva.
- Fri - Nov 27, 2020: Insecurity in South Sudan Slows Business At Nimule to a Trickle - AllAfrica News: Sudan
[East African] The Nimule one-stop border post between Uganda and South Sudan is currently operating at a quarter of its capacity, creating inefficiencies in border operations.