Unit Two: Studying Africa through the Social Studies
Module Ten: African Politics and Government
Activity Seven: Evaluate (Homework)
Current Events: Diamonds and Warfare: The Africa Connection
You have now completed a number of lessons that have focused on African politics and government. You now have information that will help you every time you hear a story about Africa on the TV news or read a report about Africa in the newspaper. Unlike many of our fellow citizens, you will have basic background information that will help you understand and interpret the stories that you hear or read. In fact, you may find yourself thinking-"that interpretation is a bit silly, doesn't the reporter know . . ."
Now it's time to test how well you understand African politics. We have developed a special current events story called Diamonds and Warfare: The African Connection. After you have read the report, complete the attached exercises and when completed, please put in your Exploring Africa Web Journal.
Or go to:
- Activity One: Engage (What's in a Word?)
- Activity Two: Explore (Pre-Colonial Political Systems)
- Activity Three: Expand I (Political Legacy of Colonialism)
- Activity Four: Expand II (Post-Colonial Government)
- Activity Five: Explain I (Second Liberation)
- Activity Six: Explain II (International Relations)
- Activity Seven: Evaluate (Homework)
- Suggested Readings
- Printable Resources