COAT OF ARMS
Government: Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic
President: Salva Kiir Mayardit
Population: 10,204,581 (2018)
Land Size: 644,329 sq km
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Apr 24, 2019: Peacekeeping Dilemmas - What We Learned From Talking to People in Conflict Zones - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[The Conversation Africa] With the recent overthrow of former Sudanese president Omar al-Bashir, Khartoum's ability to continue to guarantee the peace process in neighbouring South Sudan may be in question.
- Mon - Apr 22, 2019: Will Pope Francis' Kiss Bring Lasting Peace to South Sudan? - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[Nation] Under a fortnight ago, world media was abuzz with captivating images of Pope Francis down on his knees and kissing the feet of four South Sudanese leaders, namely President Salva Kiir Mayardit, Vice President Taban Deng Gai, former Vice President Riek Machar Teny Dhurgon, and former Cabinet Minister Mama Rebecca Nyandeng de Mabior, widow of the late Dr John Garang de Mabior, the long-time larger-than-life leader of the Sudan People's Liberation Army/Movement (SPLA/M).
- Mon - Apr 22, 2019: Peace Pact Intact Despite Bashir Exit - Oryem - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[Monitor] Months of protests in Sudan led to the ousting and arrest of Omar al-Bashir last week. Ugandan authorities have been monitoring the developments in Khartoum closely, with Kampala saying it could offer Bashir asylum. Sunday Monitor's Frederic Musisi talked to State minister for International Relations Henry Oryem Okello about the state of affairs in the region.
- Mon - Apr 22, 2019: River of Dollars Flowing From South Sudan Into Kenya, Uganda - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[East African] Kenya and Uganda have failed to stop the flow of illicit money through their economies and are now facing the risk of blacklisting by global financial regulators, a new report says.
- Mon - Apr 22, 2019: Opposition Seeks Delay in Transitional Govt Formation - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[New Times] South Sudan's main opposition group Sudan People's Liberation Movement/Army-In Opposition (SPLM-IO) on Friday sought delay in the formation of a transitional government in May.