COAT OF ARMS
Government: Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic
President: Salva Kiir Mayardit
Population: 10,204,581 (2018)
Land Size: 644,329 sq km
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Aug 21, 2019: Attack On Darfuri Traders in Leaves 11 Dead - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[Radio Dabanga] El Mujlad -Eleven Misseriya cattle traders were killed in an armed robbery in Unity state in South Sudan on Sunday.
- Tue - Aug 20, 2019: South Sudan's Kiir Meets With Darfur Rebel Leader - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[East African] South Sudan President Salva Kiir on Wednesday the head of Darfur rebel faction Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) Dr Gibril Ibrahim Mohammed in efforts to restore peace and stability in the northern neighbour Sudan.
- Tue - Aug 20, 2019: There Will Always Be Challenges: Being an Aid Worker in South Sudan - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] I would love to hear women speaking up, this will help to change cultural norms. And I want to see men supporting them - men and women need to work together
- Tue - Aug 20, 2019: Why Peace Process Is Stalled One Year On - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[The Conversation Africa] The prospect of peace in South Sudan has never been less certain. This is despite the fact that a peace agreement was signed less than year ago. The 2018 settlement revived a failed 2015 agreement between President Salva Kiir and opposition leader Riek Machar.
- Mon - Aug 19, 2019: Not Waiting for Handouts: Five Stories of Resilience From One of The World's Largest Refugee Camps - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[UN] Today there are more than 70 million people around the world who have been forced from their homes. As crises get more prolonged, the only home that entire generations know, are refugee camps. The average length of displacement is rising, estimated at 26 years, and as of 2018, 78 per cent of all refugees were in protracted refugee situations. The stories we hear about them often show us their unsurmountable challenges, but life in the camps is more than scrambling for food and waiting for a better fut