COAT OF ARMS
Government: Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic
President: Salva Kiir Mayardit
Population: 10,204,581 (2018)
Land Size: 644,329 sq km
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: WHO Takes Health Care Services Directly to Flood-Affected Communities in Mayom County - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[WHO] "The recent flooding has made access to healthcare difficult from our village to Mankien town as we have been cut off because of the devastating floods", said Mrs Angelina Nyapiny Ter, a 68-year-old woman from Pibor village.
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: U.S. Sanctions 5 Security Chiefs Over Activists' Disappearance - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[East African] The US government is imposing financial restrictions on five South Sudanese security officials accused of kidnapping and torturing activists on Kenyan soil.
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: Govt 'Ignored' Advice On Number of States - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[East African] South Sudan's government may have ignored advice not to tinker with the number of states, in order to foster fragile peace and unity.
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: Deputy Chairman of Sovereignty Council Leaves for Juba - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[SNA] Khartoum -The First Deputy of the Transitional Sovereign Council, Lt. Gen. Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, Tuesday left for Juba heading the government delegation for the peace talks between the government and the armed struggle movements, scheduled to start there today (Tuesday).
- Tue - Dec 10, 2019: 'People Tell Us These Are the Worst Floods They Have Ever Seen' - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[MSF] In South Sudan, massive flooding has affected nearly a million people, leaving many stranded in their villages and cut off from essential health services. Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) mobile clinics are bringing care and essential supplies to some of the worst-affected areas. Here, MSF logistics coordinator Kim Phillips describes the situation on the ground in the northeast of the country.