COAT OF ARMS
Government: Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic
President: Salva Kiir Mayardit
Population: 10,561,244 (2020)
Land Size: 644,329 sq km
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Feb 24, 2021: Govt Renews Push to Reduce Power Deficit - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[East African] South Sudan is directing massive effort to develop the power sector to reduce a deficit of 170 megawatts by building several generation plants, implementing South Sudan Electricity Master Plan, and expanding distribution systems.
- Tue - Feb 23, 2021: Urgent Action Needed to Tackle Triple Threat of Conflict, Flooding and Hunger - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[Norwegian Refugee Council] Rising levels of armed violence, and almost 500,000 people displaced by floods and looming famine in five states are deepening an already dire humanitarian crisis in South Sudan. Renewed fighting in many parts of the country has escalated to levels as serious as any, since the conflict started in 2013. Delivery of humanitarian assistance continues to face significant obstructions particularly in areas hardest-to-reach. Four aid workers have also been killed in the line of duty this year alone.
- Tue - Feb 23, 2021: Nation Holds Women's National League for First Time - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[Nation] Juba -- South Sudan last weekend held its first ever Women National Football League since it seceeded from Sudan nine years ago.
- Tue - Feb 23, 2021: Implementation of Peace Deal Has Been Slow, but There's Hope - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[East African] Five South Sudanese Parties signed the Revitalised Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan (R-ARCSS) in September 2018, putting the conflict in South Sudan to an end.
- Mon - Feb 22, 2021: South Sudan - the Path to Reconstruction - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[Cameroon Tribune] The country is steadily moving through a tight rope of peace after several years of civil war.