COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: JubaGovernment: Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic
President: Salva Kiir Mayardit
Population: 12,340,000 (2015)
Land Size: 644,329 sq km
Major Ethic Groups:
- Fri - Aug 18, 2017: Simple Concoction Found to Halt Fall Armyworm - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[VOA] A farmers' group in South Sudan's Imotong state says it has found a way to combat the dreaded fall armyworm, which has devastated crops across the state.
- Fri - Aug 18, 2017: A War Without End - Neighbours Carry the Burden of Fleeing Millions - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[IRIN] Kijaria -More than a million South Sudanese refugees have now crossed the border into Uganda in what is the world's fastest-growing refugee crisis. Analysts say the chances of forging peace are becoming slimmer and so the war and the flow of desperate people is set to continue, further straining an already struggling aid operation.
- Thu - Aug 17, 2017: Number of Refugees in Uganda Tops 1 Million - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[Deutsche Welle] Refugees from South Sudan continue to flee the civil war across the Ugandan border, with their number now topping one million, according to the UN. Uganda has called for help with housing and feeding the newcomers.
- Thu - Aug 17, 2017: Parliament Suspends Debate on Budget - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[VOA] South Sudan's parliament have suspended debate on a $451 million budget as questions linger over how government agencies will be financed and how money was spent during the past fiscal year.
- Wed - Aug 16, 2017: Cathedral Becomes Refuge of Last Resort for Displaced - AllAfrica News: South Sudan
[IRIN] Wau -The Catholic cathedral in Wau, South Sudan's second largest city, is now a sanctuary for more than 13,000 people who have fled the country's vicious civil war, but with insecurity rife and markets collapsed, help is scarce and food in short supply.