COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Pretoria (executive), Cape Town (legislative), Bloemfontein (judicial)Government: Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic
Current President: Cyril Ramaphosa
Population: 54,948,552 (2017)
Land Size: 1.22 million sq km (470,693 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Aug 17, 2018: Fudging, Obfuscation and Misdirection Hobble the Route to the Nitty-Gritty of Expropriation - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[Daily Maverick] The expropriation without compensation debate, and parliamentary public hearings on a constitutional amendment for this, have shone a harsh spotlight on 24 years of land reform failures in democratic South Africa. With the approaching 2019 elections, and under pressure from the deftly mobilising EFF, the governing ANC not only has confused issues, but also revealed it has no new thinking in the pipeline.
- Fri - Aug 17, 2018: Zondo Turns Down DA Request to Cross-Examine Witnesses At State Capture Inquiry - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[News24Wire] The chairperson of the judicial commission of inquiry into state capture, Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, has turned down the DA's application to access witnesses and directly participate in the proceedings due to get under way on Monday.
- Fri - Aug 17, 2018: Golf - Groenewald Grabs Maiden Igt Challenge Tour Win - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[Sascoc] Ruan Groenewald from Nelspruit has held off late charges from amateurs Aneurin Gounden and Gerhard Pepler to claim a maiden pro win in the IGT Challenge Tour #10 at Irene Country Club.
- Fri - Aug 17, 2018: Hockey - PHL Champions Cavemen Stunned By Gladiators - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[Sascoc] Thursday's CTM Premier Hockey League (PHL) saw the Maropeng Cavemen stunned by the Golden Gate Gladiators, with the Orange River Rafters putting on a class display to dispatch the Blyde River Bunters, the Drakensberg Dragons' first win, while the Namaqualand Daisies and Wineland Wings facing early elimination.
- Fri - Aug 17, 2018: Land Expropriation - 'This Is the Information We Have' - Rural Development Department - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[News24Wire] Government does not have a list it is using to target farmers but does have details of farms and their owners it has been negotiating with in the past, rural development department head Mashile Mokono said.