COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Pretoria (executive), Cape Town (legislative), Bloemfontein (judicial)Government: Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic
Current President: Cyril Ramaphosa
Population: 55,380,210 (2018)
Land Size: 1.22 million sq km (470,693 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mon - Jun 17, 2019: Board of Inquiry to Look Into 'Shooting Incident' At Mozambique Border - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[News24Wire] The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) says a board of inquiry will investigate a 'shooting incident' between SANDF soldiers and Mozambican border police.
- Mon - Jun 17, 2019: Foskor Employee Who Fell From 6th Floor to Be Buried - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[News24Wire] An employee who plummeted to his death from the sixth floor of Foskor's concentration plant in Richards Bay is expected to be buried in KwaZulu-Natal on Saturday, the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (Numsa) has confirmed.
- Mon - Jun 17, 2019: Township Basketball Teams Celebrate Youth Day At the CTICC - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[GroundUp] About 800 youngsters celebrated Youth Day with a basketball tournament at the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC). The two-day Youth Day Classic Basketball Tournament kicked off on 16 June with township clubs including Delft Umoja, African Grassroot Hoops, City Mountain, Cape Waves from Nyanga and Nyanga rebels. A few teams also came from further afield - Johannesburg, Kimberly and the Vikapu Elite based in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Mon - Jun 17, 2019: This Youth Day, Young People Are Demanding Climate Justice - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[Daily Maverick] 'Why study for a future that I won't have?' That was the pointed question put forward by a teenager skipping school to protest against inaction on climate change. She was not alone in questioning what her future would look like if we failed to act. Across the country, in the build-up to Youth Day, young people rallied to demand ambitious climate action and climate justice now.
- Mon - Jun 17, 2019: Cold Reality for Evicted Family Living On Side of Road - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[News24Wire] In the heart of winter, a Western Cape family continues to brave the elements, sleeping in a tent on the side of a street in Paarl after being evicted from their home across the road.