COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Pretoria (executive), Cape Town (legislative), Bloemfontein (judicial)Government: Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic
Current President: Cyril Ramaphosa
Population: 55,380,210 (2018)
Land Size: 1.22 million sq km (470,693 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Apr 9, 2020: Ramaphosa Extends Coronavirus Lockdown, Slashes Cabinet Ministers' Salaries - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[allAfrica] Cape Town -South Africa's President Cyril Ramaphosa has extended the country's coronavirus lockdown by another two weeks, effectively closing down free movement and much of the economy until the end of April. He also announced a temporary 33 percent pay cut for himself and members of his Cabinet and appealed to business executives to follow their example.
- Thu - Apr 9, 2020: President Cyril Ramaphosa - Extension of Coronavirus COVID-19 Lockdown to the End of April - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[Govt of SA] My Fellow South Africans,
- Thu - Apr 9, 2020: Police Record 2,300 Gender-Based Violence Complaints in First Week of Lockdown - Not 87,000 - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[Africa Check] High rates of gender-based violence are a huge concern for South Africa.
- Thu - Apr 9, 2020: Unions Accuse Employers of Flouting Lockdown Rules - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[New Frame] The Covid-19 lockdown has been plagued by employers failing to provide workers with suitable protective gear while others have been downright breaking the law, say unions.
- Thu - Apr 9, 2020: Is Gender-Based Violence Not a Serious and Violent Crime, Minister Cele? - AllAfrica News: South Africa
[Daily Maverick] Minister of Police Bheki Cele proudly announced to the nation on Sunday that he was happy with recent crime stats since the beginning of the Covid-19 lockdown. He said 'serious and violent crimes numbers were down', a fact he attributed to the ban on alcohol.