COAT OF ARMS
Government: Federal Parliamentary Government
Current President: Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed
Population: 12,316,895 (2014)
Land Size: 637,657 sq km (246,201 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Sat - Jan 20, 2018: Al Shabaab Denies Forcibly Recruiting Children to Fight - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Mogadishu/Nairobi -Somalia's Islamist militant group al Shabaab on Thursday denied that it was threatening and abducting civilians to hand over their children for indoctrination and military training.
- Sat - Jan 20, 2018: Govt Seeks U.S.$1.6 Billion to Feed Starving Citizens - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[East African] Despite the swift international response that saved millions of Somalis from starvation last year, an estimated 6.2 million people are still in need of humanitarian assistance.
- Thu - Jan 18, 2018: UN, Partners Seek U.S.$1.6 Billion to Protect Millions of Lives From Drought - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[UN News] While Somalia, with the international community's help, averted famine last year, long-term solutions for drought, conflict and displacement must still be found, the United Nations office in the country said Wednesday, launching the 2018 humanitarian response plan, which calls for $1.6 billion to protect the lives of 5.4 million people.
- Wed - Jan 17, 2018: Ethiopia Committed to Somaliland Peace, Stability - Hailemariam Desalegn - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[Ethiopian Herald] Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn and Somaliland President Musa Behi Abdi held discussions on various issues here in Addis yesterday.Prime Minister Hailemariam stated his country's commitment to Somaliland's peace and stability, saying, "Ethiopia is working aggressively to dismantle Al-Shabaab from the surrounding since it is our common enemy." The PM also underscored that any incident in Somaliland will have direct and indirect impact on Ethiopia.
- Wed - Jan 17, 2018: Inside Somalia's Wars - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[Independent (Kampala)] Kampala -When I flew to Mogadishu, Somalia's sandy capital, on December 16, 2017; I was filled with a heady mix of anxiety and excitement because of the image we all have of Somalia; bomb wreckages, lone wolf assassins, and Al Shabaab Muslim militants lurking in the shadows everywhere.