COAT OF ARMS
Government: Federal Parliamentary Government
Current President: Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed
Population: 12,316,895 (2014)
Land Size: 637,657 sq km (246,201 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Fri - Apr 28, 2017: EU Condemns the Recent Executions in Somalia - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[Shabelle] The European Union considers the death penalty to be a cruel and inhumane punishment, which fails to provide deterrence to criminal behaviour and represents a denial of human dignity and integrity.
- Fri - Apr 28, 2017: Erdogan Says West Ignores Famine in Somalia - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[Shabelle] The West has ignored the plight of 14 million people facing famine in Africa, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Wednesday. Turkey would continue to stand alongside "suffering people trying to keep alive in poverty," he added at an Ankara press conference with Somalian President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed.
- Fri - Apr 28, 2017: Military Courts Executes Terror Suspects - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[CAJ News] Mogadishu -CONCERN is growing over the execution of terror suspects by the military courts in Somalia. This follows a second spate of execution in April, with four alleged Al-Shabaab members killed in the southwestern Baidoa. There have also been several security personnel executed for killing civilians, including two police officers for murders that took place in Afgoye and Hudur respectively A delegation of the European Union expressed regret at the spate of executions. While the delegation condemned all acts of te
- Fri - Apr 28, 2017: Army Using Excessive Force Against Somali Civilians - Report - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[VOA] Kenya and Ethiopia have used excessive force against Somali civilians amid efforts to halt cross-border attacks by al-Shabab, according to an internal report by aid agencies working in Somalia.
- Fri - Apr 28, 2017: No Confirmation of Reported Changes to U.S. Immigration Policies for Somalis - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[VOA] Somalia's ambassador to the U.S., Ahmed Isse Awad, says U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has informed his embassy the agency will no longer arrest illegal Somali immigrants in their homes or at their workplaces. However, federal authorities have not confirmed that there has been any shift in policy.