COAT OF ARMS
Government: Federal Parliamentary Government
Current President: Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed
Population: 11,259,029 (2018)
Land Size: 637,657 sq km (246,201 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: 2 Charged Over Travelling to Somalia 'To Join Al-Shabaab' - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[Nation] Two men were on Tuesday charged with travelling to a terrorist designated country, failing to report their departure to government authorities and sneaking out of Kenya.
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: Somalia's Intricate Agenda, Relations Unpacked - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[East African] Abdallah Ahmed Ibrahim, is the director of the East Africa Centre for Research and Strategic Studies. He was interviewed by The EastAfrican's Special Correspondent Fred Oluoch. Given the current political deadlock, it is unlikely that the current constitution will be completed by the current government. The new constitution was supposed to be an inclusive process that facilitates rebuilding of Somalia.
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: Somali Security Forces Kill 5 Al Shaabab Fighters to End Hotel Siege - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[Shabelle] Somali security forces shot dead five Al Shabab gunmen, who had killed five people including two soldiers in an attack on a hotel near the presidential residence in Mogadishu on Tuesday night.
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: Puntland Assembly Strips Lawmaker of Immunity - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[Shabelle] The lawmakers of Somalia's Puntland state have on Tuesday voted to strip parliamentary immunity from Abdihakim Mohamed Ahmed who ousted last month. The assembly in a majority vote (40/41) voted in favor of the bid to strip of the immunity from Ahmed.
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: Security Forces Kill Five Al-Shabab to End Hotel Siege - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[Dalsan Radio] Five heavily armed Islamic extremist rebels attacked the presidential palace in Somalia's capital Tuesday before all were killed by security forces in a shootout that spread from the heavily fortified government complex to a nearby hotel, police said.