COAT OF ARMS
Government: Federal Parliamentary Government
Current President: Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed
Population: 11,259,029 (2018)
Land Size: 637,657 sq km (246,201 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Aug 21, 2019: U.S. Says Airstrike in Somalia Kills Al-Shabaab Militant - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[Shabelle] The U.S. military says it has conducted an airstrike targeting an al-Shabaab militant in the vicinity of Qunyo Barrow, Somalia, killing a militant.
- Wed - Aug 21, 2019: President Thanks Qatar's Contribution for Infrastructure Building - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[Shabelle] The President of the Federal Republic of Somalia, Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo, yesterday expressed thanks to the State of Qatar for its contribution in building his country's infrastructure, including Hobyo Port project.
- Wed - Aug 21, 2019: Jubaland Moves Closer to Presidential Election Deadline - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[Shabelle] Jubbaland regional parliament will take over the responsibility of managing the upcoming elections in the state ahead of the presidential elections.
- Wed - Aug 21, 2019: Regional Election Raises National, East African Tensions - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[VOA] Somalia's regional state of Jubaland will this week elect a new president, but the electoral process has been marred by threats, intimidation, violence and outside interference.
- Wed - Aug 21, 2019: Speculation Arises on Somalia's Plot to Auction Oil Blocks - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[Nation] The maritime border dispute between Kenya and Somalia now under arbitration at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) is likely to get murkier as details emerge that Somalia has scheduled to auction oil blocks within the contested sea territory in December, even before the ICJ delivers judgment on the matter in the first week of September.