COAT OF ARMS
Government: Federal Parliamentary Government
Current President: Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed
Population: 12,316,895 (2014)
Land Size: 637,657 sq km (246,201 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Thu - Jul 20, 2017: The Somali Pirates Are Back (Spoiler Alert - They Never Really Left) - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[IRIN] An IRIN investigation reveals the extent to which Somalia's pirates are back in business and this time it's as much about smuggling weapons to extremist groups
- Thu - Jul 20, 2017: Kenyan Soldiers Kill Al-Shabaab Chief in Southern Somalia - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[Nation] The Kenya Defence Forces says it has killed a senior Al-Shabaab commander.
- Thu - Jul 20, 2017: Car Bomb Hits Ministry of Sports Building - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[Dalsan Radio] Staff Injured After Car Explosion Hits Sports Ministry Building . A bomb set in a vehicle belonging to Ministry of Sports exploded at the headquarters . The driver of the vehicle who is a a staff at the Ministry was injured in the explosion.
- Thu - Jul 20, 2017: Young Refugees Cleared to Travel to Waiting U.S. Foster Families - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[VOA] Young refugees from Somalia and Eritrea who are eagerly awaited by American foster families have been cleared to travel to the United States, Lutheran Social Services (LSS) tells VOA.
- Wed - Jul 19, 2017: Ex Electoral Delegates Join SNA for Own Security - AllAfrica News: Somalia
[Dalsan Radio] Following a spate of assassinations some electoral delegates who elected the MPs in the last election have joined the government armed forces. Some of delegates who refused to give their names to the reporters stated that since Al-Shabaab is out there to kill them, it is only reasonable for them to join the army.