COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: BanjulGovernment: Republic
Current President: Adama Barrow
Population: 1,925,000 (2014)
Land Size: 11,295 sq km (4,361 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Feb 24, 2017: Jazz Appreciation - Quincy Jones: the Maestro - AllAfrica News: Gambia
[The Point] As we prepare to celebrate Jazz Appreciation Month and International Jazz Day in the month of April, we are excited to feature one of the most celebrated and influential Jazz musicians of the 20th Century. He is an American record producer, conductor, arranger, composer, television producer, film producer, instrumentalist, and Jazz trumpeter. His career spans six decades in the entertainment industry, and he has a record 79 Grammy Award nominations, and a Grammy Legend Award given in 1991. His contribution
- Fri - Feb 24, 2017: IEC Trains Journalists, Csos Prior to Parliamentary Elections - AllAfrica News: Gambia
[The Point] The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) on Wednesday organized a day-long training session for media personnel and members of civil society organizations (CSOs), as part of activities leading to the National Assembly Elections slated for 6 April 2017.
- Fri - Feb 24, 2017: The Need to Amend the Elections (Amendment) Act - AllAfrica News: Gambia
[Foroyaa] On the 20 July 2015 ex-president Jammeh's government enacted the Elections (Amendment) Act 2015 which made it a requirement among other things for political parties to pay one million dalasi and have ten thousand members to be registered by the IEC to function as a party.
- Fri - Feb 24, 2017: Daba Marena's Wife Questions the Whereabouts of Her Husband After Being Missing for More Than 11 Years - AllAfrica News: Gambia
[Foroyaa] Yafa Kinteh, one of the wives of the former National Intelligence Agency (NIA) Director, Daba Marena who was arrested in 2006, visited Foroyaa's office on the 16 February, to raise concern about the whereabouts of her husband. Daba has been missing for more than 11 years without appearing in court for any trial.
- Fri - Feb 24, 2017: Fatoumata Tambajang Reassigned, 5 Other Ministers Appointed - AllAfrica News: Gambia
[Foroyaa] President Adama Barrow has appointed and reassigned Mrs. Fatoumata Tambajang as Minister of Women's Affairs, overseeing the portfolio of the Office of Vice President, according to a press release issued by the Office of the President yesterday, February 22, 2017.