Africa’s Rivers and Lakes
Carefully study the map of Africa’s rivers and lakes and the attached photographs. Answers to some of the questions will be provided by the map.
Map One: Africa’s Rivers and Lakes
Photographs 6.1- 6.8: These photos are meant to provide a visual context for the map work. There are no questions based on these photographs.
*All Photos:@Africa Focus, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Name the main rivers of Africa.
- Name the main lakes in Africa.
- What is the largest lake in Africa?
- Which countries border this lake?
- What is the longest river in Africa?
- What region of Africa has no major rivers flowing through it? Why?
- Geographers sometimes refer to rivers and lakes as the great highways of Africa. How are lakes and rivers similar to highways?
- What resources, if any, do rivers and lakes provide?
Go on to Activity Three or go to one of the other activities in Module Six
- Activity One: Location
- Activity Two: Africa’s Rivers and Lakes
- Activity Three: Africa’s Topography, Vegetation, and Climate
- Activity Four: Africa’s Natural Resources
- Activity Five: Four Maps of Movement
- Activity Six: Homework