Africa’s Rivers and Lakes
Carefully study the map of Africa’s rivers and lakes and the attached photographs. Answers to some of the questions will be provided by the map. Put your answers in your Activity Journal.
Map One: Africa’s Rivers and Lakes
Photographs 6.1- 6.8: These photos are meant to provide a visual context for the map work. There are no questions based on these photographs.
*All Photos:@Africa Focus, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Name the main rivers of Africa.
- Name the main lakes in Africa.
- What is the largest lake in Africa?
- Which countries border this lake?
- What is the longest river in Africa?
- What region of Africa has no major rivers flowing through it? Why?
- Geographers sometimes refer to rivers and lakes as the great highways of Africa. How are lakes and rivers similar to highways?
- What resources, if any, do rivers and lakes provide?
Go on to Activity Three or go to one of the other activities in Module Six
- Activity One: Location
- Activity Two: Africa’s Rivers and Lakes
- Activity Three: Africa’s Topography, Vegetation, and Climate
- Activity Four: Africa’s Natural Resources
- Activity Five: Four Maps of Movement
- Activity Six: Homework