COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Presidential Constitutional Republic
Current President: Julius Maada Bio
Population: 6,312,212 (2018)
Land Size: 71,740 sq km (27,669 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Apr 7, 2020: IMF Executive Board Concludes 2019 Article Iv Consultation With Sierra Leone - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[IMF] The Executive Board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) completed the 2019 Article IV consultation with Sierra Leone on April 3, 2020. At the same time, the Board also completed the second review of Sierra Leone's performance under their program supported by the IMF's Extended Credit Facility (ECF) arrangement. A press release on the ECF review was issued separately.
- Mon - Apr 6, 2020: Disowned by her family at 13 for falling pregnant - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[Plan International] At eight months pregnant, 13-year-old Aisatu* sits in silence listening to music playing from a badly tuned FM radio. As dusk falls, Aisatu from Sierra Leone is another day closer to becoming a child mother -- something that she did not plan for, nor wants.
- Mon - Apr 6, 2020: "I did not imagine that my parents would want me to go through FGM to get around their economic struggles." - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[Plan International] Sierra Leonians are well known for their exuberant celebrations to mark the big occasions in their lives. People love to come together to celebrate momentous events such as anniversaries or achievements. 16-year-old Mary has always loved these parties, especially weddings. "Weddings are lovely because I get to see my cousins and enjoy the music, dancing, and of course all the food."
- Mon - Apr 6, 2020: IMF Executive Board Completes Second Review of Sierra Leone's Extended Credit Facility - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[IMF] The Executive Board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) completed the second review of Sierra Leone's performance under the program supported by an Extended Credit Facility (ECF).
- Mon - Apr 6, 2020: Govt Tightens Restrictions After First 2 Coronavirus Cases - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[VOA] Sierra Leone is the latest African country to launch a nationwide attack against the deadly coronavirus after two unrelated people tested positive for the virus in the capital, Freetown.