COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Presidential Constitutional Republic
Current President: Julius Maada Bio
Population: 6,163,195 (2017)
Land Size: 71,740 sq km (27,669 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Aug 14, 2018: Gun Fire Rocks Arua Town As Security Forces Disperse Crowds - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[Monitor] Security forces on Monday evening fired live bullets to disperse supporters of Opposition supporters who were marching in the town.
- Thu - Aug 9, 2018: Sierra Leone and Liberia Express Willingness to Ratify the African Court Protocol Soonest - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[africancourt] Arusha, 8 August 2018: The Republic of Sierra Leone and the Republic of Liberia have expressed their willingness to ratify the Protocol establishing the African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights and deposit the special declaration under Article 34(6) to allow individuals and NGOs to access the Court directly. The assurances were given by President Julius Maada Bio of the Republic of Sierra Leone and President George Weah of the Republic of Liberia during separate courtesy calls in Freetown and Monrovia re
- Wed - Aug 8, 2018: Sierra Leonean Journalist Isha Sesay Leaves CNN After 13 Years - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[This is Africa] After 13 years of working with CNN, Sierra Leonean journalist Isha Isatu Sesay has left. At a time when stories from the continent are under-reported Isha wants to focus more on telling narratives from the continent.
- Wed - Aug 8, 2018: Sierra Leone to Ratify AU Court Protocol - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[Citizen] Arusha -Sierra Leone says it would ratify the protocol that established the African Court on Human and People's Rights (AfCHPR) because it believed in dispensation of justice.
- Wed - Aug 8, 2018: Lawmakers Order Release of Container Drugs Held At Quay - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[Concord] Plans by the Sierra Leone Ports Authority to auction a container loaded with HIV/AIDs, Malaria and Tuberculosis drugs was thwarted last week after lawmakers reached a resolution for the drugs to be released immediately and distributed to various health centres across the country.