COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Presidential Constitutional Republic
Current President: Julius Maada Bio
Population: 6,312,212 (2018)
Land Size: 71,740 sq km (27,669 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Jun 14, 2019: Sierra Leone's First Lady Confronted Over FGM Controversy - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Vancouver -First Lady Fatima Bio angered activists this year when she said in a televised interview that, as a circumcised woman, she would not speak out against FGM
- Wed - Jun 12, 2019: When You Are Closely Connected With the Powers That be - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[Concord] I had restrained myself from writing on this topic but I am forced to because my instinct could not allow me to be silent about it. I would start by giving a brief background so as to provide an insight into the topic under review. As a journalist working for one of the biggest Newspapers in Sierra Leone, I have several friends within the corridors of power. For some, we have been friends when studying at the university while others were practising journalists. There is that kind of strong bond with a few
- Wed - Jun 12, 2019: President Bio Woos Investors, Promises Conducive Business Environment - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[Concord] Around 300 investors gathered in London for the UK-Sierra Leone Trade and Investment Conference jointly supported by the UK and Sierra Leone governments.
- Wed - Jun 12, 2019: Fuel Scarcity in Freetown - Commercial Drivers, Workers, Pupils Stranded - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[Concord] Fuel scarcity has hit Sierra Leone's capital, Freetown since Sunday, causing long queues at gas stations and hampering the movement of vehicles and goods across the country.
- Wed - Jun 12, 2019: 'Mental Health Is Everybody's Business' - AllAfrica News: Sierra Leone
[Concord] Programs Manager of Mental Health Coalition Sierra Leone (MHCSL), Joshusa Abioseh Duncan, has last Friday averred that mental health is everyone's business, and that it is the right of everybody to enjoy the highest standard of physical and mental health.