COAT OF ARMS
Government: Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Macky Sall
Population: 15,589,485 (2016)
Land Size: 196,722 sq km (75,955 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Tue - Sep 19, 2017: Activists in Dakar Demand End to Colonial-era Currency - AllAfrica News: Senegal
[VOA] Protesters gathered in several West African capitals Saturday to demand their countries abandon the CFA franc in favor of a common African currency. Passions over the issue have been reignited since Senegal arrested and expelled an activist for burning a CFA bill at a rally last month.
- Mon - Sep 18, 2017: Success Against Salt - Farmers Battle Major Climate Change Threat - AllAfrica News: Senegal
[IRIN] Dioffior -Climate change makes life harder for Senegalese farmers in many different ways: shorter rainy seasons, more frequent and longer dry spells and droughts, a lower water table, floods, coastal erosion, destruction of mangroves, and disruption of fish stocks. But most pernicious of all is the salinization of soil across large tracts of coastal and riverine farmland.
- Sat - Sep 16, 2017: Nigeria's D'Tigers Overpower Senegal, Zoom Into Afrobasket Final - AllAfrica News: Senegal
[Premium Times] The Nigeria senior men's basketball team, D'Tigers, have qualified for the final of the 2017 Afrobasket championship following their hard-earned 76-71 win over Senegal on Friday night.
- Fri - Sep 15, 2017: President Sisi Sends Message to Senegal's President - AllAfrica News: Senegal
[Egypt Online] Senegalese President Macky Sall received a message from President Abdel Fatah El Sisi expressing Egypt's appreciation of Dakar's support for Moshira Khattab, the Egyptian candidate to the post of director general of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
- Fri - Sep 15, 2017: Nigeria's d'Tigers Face Very Tough Senegal in Afrobasket Semis - AllAfrica News: Senegal
[Premium Times] Nigeria's D'Tigers are the defending champions while Friday opponents, Senegal are trying to reach the final for the first time since 2005.