COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: DakarGovernment: Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Macky Sall
Population: 15,589,485 (2016)
Land Size: 196,722 sq km (75,955 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Fri - Apr 20, 2018: IPI Chair Visits Senegal, Gambia to Promote World Congress - AllAfrica News: Senegal
[IPI] The chairman of the International Press Institute, a global network of editors, journalists and media executives, will join a high-level delegation of political, business and media leaders on a study tour to Senegal and Gambia from April 22 to 28, officials announced today.
- Fri - Apr 20, 2018: Govt Clamps Down On Protests Over Plan to Amend Electoral Law - AllAfrica News: Senegal
[Deutsche Welle] Senegal's plan to amend its electoral law ahead of presidential elections in 2019 has sparked a series of protests. Human rights campaigners say the government's response is a cause for concern.
- Thu - Apr 19, 2018: Right to Peaceful Protest Must be Respected - AllAfrica News: Senegal
[AI] The Senegalese authorities must protect the right to peaceful protest and ensure the security forces refrain from using excessive force as anti-government demonstrations are planned today in the capital Dakar, Amnesty International said.
- Mon - Apr 16, 2018: Music Icon N'dour Set for Kigali Mo Ibrahim Show - AllAfrica News: Senegal
[East African] Senegalese singer and songwriter Youssou N'Dour is expected in Kigali for his inaugural performance on April 29, to headline the Mo Ibrahim Concert at this year's Mo Ibrahim Governance Weekend.
- Wed - Apr 11, 2018: Senegal Scaling Solar Tender Produces One of the Lowest Electricity Costs in Africa - AllAfrica News: Senegal
[PR Newswire] Dakar, Senegal -The World Bank Group's Scaling Solar program, designed to help remove obstacles to developing large-scale solar power in developing countries, has set a new benchmark in Senegal resulting in two bids that will produce electricity for under 4 Euro cents (roughly 5 US cents) per kilowatt hour. The deal will provide one of the cheapest sources of electricity in Sub-Saharan Africa.