COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: DakarGovernment: Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Macky Sall
Population: 14,668,522 (2017)
Land Size: 196,722 sq km (75,955 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Oct 19, 2018: Early Warnings, Late Response to Senegal's Food Crisis - AllAfrica News: Senegal
[IRIN] Namarel -Signs that 2018 would be tough on herders appeared more than a year ago
- Thu - Oct 18, 2018: Teen Girls Sexually Exploited, Harassed in Schools - AllAfrica News: Senegal
[HRW] Video: Senegalese activists campaign against sexual abuse in schools
- Thu - Oct 18, 2018: Migrant Returnees Become Storytellers - AllAfrica News: Senegal
[IPS] Dakar -Khoudia Ndiaye and Ndeye Fatou Sall set up a smartphone on a tripod to begin recording a video interview with Daro Thiam in Hann Bel-Air, a neighbourhood in Senegal's capital Dakar. Hann Bel-Air is the departure point for many of the migrants who leave the city and country on irregular routes - boats to Spain, crossing the Sahara desert to the Mediterranean Sea, or to countries nearby.
- Wed - Oct 17, 2018: Issa Diop Swears Allegiance to France Not Senegal or Morocco - AllAfrica News: Senegal
[FirstTouch] The battle of retaining African talent to represent African nations continues with another promising star swearing allegiance to France. West Ham United new signing, Issa Diop follows a pack of other players of African descent who prefered to play for France. For us, it still remains a mystery why the numbers continue to increase especially considering how African teams have gotten stronger in recent years and are as good as any other team in the world. Tinotenda Magiya explores why.
- Wed - Oct 17, 2018: How An App is Helping Farmers Fight Malnutrition - AllAfrica News: Senegal
[Deutsche Welle] Dakar -Achieving zero hunger by 2030 is still a distant goal for most African countries. Yet Senegal is making strides towards reducing malnutrition and improving livelihoods.