COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Paul Kagame
Population: 11,262,564 (2015)
Land Size: 26,338 sq km (10,169 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Thu - Nov 23, 2017: Civil Rights Group Petitions for Govt to Release Diane Rwigara - AllAfrica News: Rwanda
[This is Africa] A civil rights group has petitioned the government of Rwanda to release Diane Rwigara, presidential aspirant who is in prison together with her sister and mother. Nearly 3,000 people have so far signed the online petition demanding that the Rwandan government releases the three women.
- Thu - Nov 23, 2017: Rwanda's Door Wide Open to All African Brothers and Sisters Still Held in Captivity - AllAfrica News: Rwanda
[Rwanda Govt] Rwanda, like the rest of the world, was horrified by the images of the tragedy currently unfolding in Libya, where African men, women and children who were on the road to exile, have been held and turned into slaves. Given Rwanda's political philosophy and our own history, we cannot remain silent when human beings are being mistreated and auctioned off like cattle.
- Thu - Nov 23, 2017: Rwanda Opens Doors to Stranded Migrants - Will Others Follow Suit? - AllAfrica News: Rwanda
[New Times] Murmurs that some armed groups in Libya were selling - as slaves - stranded migrants seeking greener pastures across the Mediterranean had been doing the rounds for some time. But it was not until footage of an actual sale was shared online that the world woke up in shock.
- Thu - Nov 23, 2017: Senators Tour Isange One-Stop Centre - AllAfrica News: Rwanda
[New Times] Members of the senatorial Standing Committee on Political Affairs and Good Governance, yesterday, visited Isange One-Stop Centre at Kacyiru Hospital to assess its impact in responding to incidences of gender-based violence and child abuse.
- Thu - Nov 23, 2017: Penal Code Review - Provision on Mercy Killing Ignites Debate - AllAfrica News: Rwanda
[New Times] Should family members of a terminally ill patient who is going through a lot of pain have a right to end the patient's life? Should it only be legal if the terminally ill patient authorises it in writing?