COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mahamadou Issoufou
Population: 19,245,344 (2017)
Land Size: 1.27 million sq km (489,000 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Jun 22, 2018: Grandi Praises Generosity of Niger for Hosting Thousands of Refugees - AllAfrica News: Niger
[Africa Renewal] Grandi had just flown from Libya with 122 refugees rescued from brutal detention and evacuated by UNHCR under an agreement with Niger. It was the 13th such flight, bringing more than 1,200 people out of hellish conditions.
- Thu - Jun 21, 2018: As Millions Face Hunger in Sahel, More Accountability Is Needed to Attract Support, Warns Red Cross President - AllAfrica News: Niger
[IFRC] About 5.8 million people across Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania, Niger and Senegal are struggling to get enough food and require immediate assistance. To respond to their needs adequately, humanitarian actors need to manage well the funding they receive from their partners and well-wishers, warned Francesco Rocca, the President of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), during a visit to Guinea, from 18 to 20 June 2018.
- Sat - Jun 16, 2018: Meet Pan-Africanist Nigerian Filmmaker, Photographer Taye Balogun - AllAfrica News: Niger
[East African] Taye Balogun is a Nigerian-born filmmaker-cum-photographer, activist, pan-Africanist and social campaigner who has been in the film scene for over eight years.
- Wed - Jun 13, 2018: The Niger-Mali Border - Subordinating Military Action to a Political Strategy - AllAfrica News: Niger
[ICG] The Nigerien government and its allies' use of military force and non-state armed proxies to curtail jihadist groups along the Niger-Mali border is stoking intercommunal conflict. Niger should instead adopt a political approach which includes reconciliation, dialogue and, in some cases, pardons for militants.
- Wed - Jun 6, 2018: Grand Mufti Deplores Terrorist Attack On Niger Mosque - AllAfrica News: Niger
[Egypt Online] Grand Mufti Shawqi Allam condemned on Tuesday 5/6/2018 a terrorist attack that targeted a mosque in Niger's southeastern city of Diffa, leaving 10 worshipers dead.