COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mahamadou Issoufou
Population: 19,866,231 (2018)
Land Size: 1.27 million sq km (489,000 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Apr 3, 2020: IOM Steps Up Response for Migrants Stranded Amid COVID-19 Lockdown - AllAfrica News: Niger
[Africa Renewal] The International Organization for Migration (IOM) in Niger is currently assisting 2,371 stranded migrants across the country in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic and is concerned about the significant number of migrants still arriving in Niger despite a nationwide lockdown.
- Wed - Mar 25, 2020: Journalist Arrested Over COVID-19 Report - AllAfrica News: Niger
[CPJ] New York -Authorities in Niger should immediately release journalist Kaka Touda Mamane Goni and halt legal proceedings against him, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.
- Mon - Mar 23, 2020: Niger's President Receives Message From Sisi On GERD - AllAfrica News: Niger
[Egypt Online] Niger President Mahamadou Issoufou on Friday 20/03/2020 received a message from President Abdel Fattah El Sisi on the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD)'s file.
- Fri - Mar 20, 2020: Akwatialine Residents Worried About Influx of Migrants From Niger ... in the Wake of COVID-19 Pandemic - AllAfrica News: Niger
[Ghanaian Times] Kumasi -Some residents of Akwatialine, particularly those close to the Central Mosque, in Kumasi, are living in anxiety following the influx of migrants from Niger in the wake of the spread of COVID-19.
- Thu - Mar 19, 2020: Coronavirus and Upcoming Elections - What Are the Options? - AllAfrica News: Niger
[allAfrica] At the rapid rate at which the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, has been spreading, it was only a matter of time before Africa was affected. At the time of writing, cases of COVID-19 were confirmed in 18 African countries . But what seems to have been relatively unexplored, is the impact the virus might have on core political processes, one of which is elections.