COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mahamadou Issoufou
Population: 18,638,600 (2016)
Land Size: 1.27 million sq km (489,000 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Wed - Apr 26, 2017: Energy Firm Renews Resolve to Eliminate Malaria - AllAfrica News: Niger
[CAJ News] Lagos -EXXON Mobil, the international oil and gas company, has renewed its support for local and global organisations working to end malaria around the world. The company works with partners across Angola, Cameroon, Chad, Equatorial Guinea, Nigeria, Papua New Guinea and Tanzania to raise awareness and advocate for solutions to fight the disease. Planned activities and public events include voluntary testing and counseling sessions, mosquito net distribution, community clean-up campaigns, school engagements, and p
- Tue - Apr 25, 2017: Defense Minister Meets Nigerian Counterpart - AllAfrica News: Niger
[SNA] Khartoum -Defense Minister, General, Awad Mohammed Ahmed Ibn-Auf received, Monday, at his office, the Nigerian Defense Minister, General, Mansour Mohammed Dan and reviewed with him the defense and security coordination and cooperation between the two countries.
- Sun - Apr 23, 2017: New African Union Chief Puts Peace Back On the Agenda - AllAfrica News: Niger
[ISS] The scene is not a familiar one at the African Union (AU): the AU Commission (AUC) chairperson, in shirtsleeves, walking in the blazing sun down an unpaved alley in a war-torn country. Yet this picture of Moussa Faki Mahamat, the new AUC chairperson, on a visit to South Sudan, is probably the first of many.
- Sat - Apr 22, 2017: The Region in Niger Quietly Piloting a Boko Haram Amnesty - AllAfrica News: Niger
[African Arguments] The bold experiment is proving attractive, but comes fraught with dangers.
- Fri - Apr 21, 2017: Victory for Students After Protests - AllAfrica News: Niger
[Deutsche Welle] Students have succeeded in their quest for education reform in Niger's universities. After a student was killed in ongoing protests, the government replaced its education minister and initiated dialogue with students.