COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mahamadou Issoufou
Population: 18,638,600 (2016)
Land Size: 1.27 million sq km (489,000 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Wed - Nov 22, 2017: More Remains of U.S. Army Soldier Killed in Niger are Found - AllAfrica News: Niger
[VOA] Additional remains of U.S. Army Sergeant La David Johnson were found in Niger on November 12, an unnamed U.S. official said Tuesday. Johnson and three other U.S. soldiers were killed on October 4 when their convoy was ambushed as it left the village of Tongo Tongo.
- Fri - Nov 17, 2017: 'We're Looking At Africa in 2050', Says Top Official - AllAfrica News: Niger
[Deutsche Welle] We need to create jobs, help facilitate trade and address the challenges of the Africa of the future, says Donald Yamamoto, who is in charge of African affairs at the US State Department.
- Wed - Nov 15, 2017: Ibrahim Mahmoud Receives Nigerian Ambassador - AllAfrica News: Niger
[SNA] Khartoum -Assistant of the President of the Republic and Deputy Chairman of the National Congress for the Party's Affairs, Engineer Ibrahim Mahmoud Hamid, received in his office at the Republican Palace Tuesday the Ambassador of Nigeria to Sudan and discussed means of strengthening the cooperation between the ruling parties in the two countries.
- Wed - Nov 15, 2017: Ibrahim Mahmoud Meets Nigerian Ambassador to Khartoum - AllAfrica News: Niger
[SNA] Khartoum -The assistant of the president of the republic, the Deputy Chairman of the National Congress Party for the Party's Affairs, engineer, Ibrahime Mahmoud, discussed with the Nigerian ambassador to Khartoum ways to enhance cooperation between the ruling parties in the two countries, for the development of common interests.
- Tue - Nov 14, 2017: Niger - a Reminder of Why the U.S. Military's Presence Africa Needs Constant Scrutiny - AllAfrica News: Niger
[The Conversation Africa] On October 4 an American Special Forces team was ambushed by a contingent of Islamic State affiliated fighters in Niger. Four American soldiers were killed and two wounded. The team of 12 soldiers was returning from a meeting with community leaders when it ran into a group of up to 50 terrorists.