COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mahamadou Issoufou
Population: 19,866,231 (2018)
Land Size: 1.27 million sq km (489,000 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: Is Organised Crime Fuelling Terror Groups in Liptako-Gourma? - AllAfrica News: Niger
[ISS] Illicit activities such as weapon, drug, motorcycle and fuel trafficking, cattle rustling, artisanal gold mining and poaching are at the heart of terror groups' survival. These activities also finance their establishment and expansion.
- Tue - Dec 10, 2019: UN High Commissioner for Human Rights to Open Office in Niger - AllAfrica News: Niger
[OHCHR] Geneva/Niamey -The agreement was finalized after it was signed on 9 December in Niamey by Niger's Minister of Justice, Marou Amadou, following the earlier signature by High Commissioner Bachelet in Geneva on 28 November.
- Thu - Dec 5, 2019: In 20 Years, Will Five Arid Nations Be a Sahelistan or a Desert Rose? - AllAfrica News: Niger
[allAfrica] Cape Town -Five countries in west Africa's Sahel region -- Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger -- are facing crises across multiple fronts, including the accelerated impact of climate change, rapid population growth and extreme poverty. As these challenges intensify, international attention has refocused on the conflicts that accompany those challenges. In Mali in November, over 50 soldiers were killed in a bold attack on a military base and 13 French troops died in a helicopter crash suppor
- Thu - Dec 5, 2019: Macron Demands Answers From Sahel Presidents on French Troops - AllAfrica News: Niger
[RFI] President Emmanuel Macron announced that he invited the presidents of the five countries of the region on December 16th to Pau in the south of France. His objective: that they clarify their position on the French presence at a time when anti-French sentiment is growing in several Sahelian countries.
- Thu - Nov 28, 2019: How a Tiny Wasp is Fighting a Crop-Munching Worm - AllAfrica News: Niger
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Borgo Beri, Niger -As millet-destroying worm thrives in drier conditions, farmers learn how to breed wasps that can control the pest damaging their food supplies and incomes