COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mahamadou Issoufou
Population: 18,638,600 (2016)
Land Size: 1.27 million sq km (489,000 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Wed - Sep 20, 2017: Floods Leave Tens of Thousands Homeless As Rebuilding Lags - AllAfrica News: Niger
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Niamey -"I used to have two houses, both of which collapsed with the rain"
- Tue - Sep 12, 2017: Niger, Guinea Progress in WAFU Cup - AllAfrica News: Niger
[CAF] After the slow start to day one, Sunday's batch of matches recorded six goals with Benin and Guinea going through to the next round of the 2017 WAFU Cup of Nations.
- Fri - Sep 8, 2017: Human Trafficking Accused Pastor Denied Bail Again - AllAfrica News: Niger
[News24Wire] The charismatic Nigerian pastor Timothy Omotoso failed to present any new facts to the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court in his second bail application, and will therefore remain behind bars for now.
- Tue - Sep 5, 2017: Ellen Consoles Niger - AllAfrica News: Niger
[NEWS] President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has sent a condolence and solidarity message to the President of the Republic of Niger, Mahamadou Issoufou, following heavy torrential rain resulting in the death of at least 44 persons and injury to an additional 11,000 persons as well as the destruction to homes, other infrastructure and livestock.
- Thu - Aug 31, 2017: Hundreds of Homes Destroyed in Flooding - AllAfrica News: Niger
[allAfrica] After last week's catastrophes in Maradi and Zinder, which left seven people dead and more than a thousand affected, torrential rains in the capital Niamey on Saturday destroyed several houses. More than 400 houses collapsed in the village of Gaba Goura after early morning rains. The 118 mm of rainfall left Gaba Goura, one of the oldest districts around the capital, flooded - leaving residents with nothing.