COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mahamadou Issoufou
Population: 18,638,600 (2016)
Land Size: 1.27 million sq km (489,000 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Wed - Mar 15, 2017: Opposition Leader in Court Probe Over Baby Trafficking - AllAfrica News: Niger
[Deutsche Welle] Niger's opposition leader Hama Amadou, who was forced to run his campaign for the presidency from a prison cell, is being investigated for baby trafficking. Some suspect political intrigue.
- Wed - Mar 15, 2017: Niger Politician Jailed Over Baby-Trafficking - AllAfrica News: Niger
[Deutsche Welle] Hama Amadou, an opposition leader in the Sahel state of Niger has been sentenced to a year in prison on a charge of baby-smuggling. Amadou's defense lawyers have claimed that the ruling is politically motivated.
- Tue - Mar 14, 2017: Opposition Leader Sentenced to Jail in Absentia for Baby Smuggling - AllAfrica News: Niger
[VOA] An appeals court in Niger has found an exiled opposition leader guilty of baby smuggling and sentenced him to one year in prison. Hama Amadou, who was the main challenger to President Mahamadou Issoufou in last year's presidential election, has been living in France and was tried in absentia.
- Fri - Mar 10, 2017: Eritrea to Ethiopia, Mosul Worsens, and Boko Haram Bombs - the Cheat Sheat - AllAfrica News: Niger
[IRIN] Geneva -Every week, IRIN's team of editors takes a look at what lies ahead on our humanitarian agenda and curates a selection of some of the best reports, opinion, and journalism you may have missed:
- Wed - Mar 8, 2017: Jails Reduced to Breeding Ground for Terrorists - AllAfrica News: Niger
[CAJ News] Lagos -NIGERIA'S overcrowded prisons have been cited as a fertile ground for recruiting Boko Haram terrorists and other extremists carrying out deadly attacks in the West African country. The problem is most rife at the Kirikiri medium security prison in the commercial capital of Lagos where more than 3 500 inmates, including 208 females are held. The female prison currently has about 11 babies and 6 pregnant women. The facility is meant to hold 1 700 inmates. Of major concern is that a majority of these are awai