COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mahamadou Issoufou
Population: 22,772,361 (2020)
Land Size: 1.27 million sq km (489,000 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Jul 7, 2020: What Role for the Multinational Joint Task Force in Fighting Boko Haram? - AllAfrica News: Niger
[ICG] The Executive Summary of the ICG report,"What Role for the Multinational Joint Task Force in Fighting Boko Haram".
- Tue - Jul 7, 2020: How to Step Up the Fight Against Boko Haram - AllAfrica News: Niger
[allAfrica] Cape Town -- The joint military force comprising soldiers from Cameroon, Chad, Niger and Nigeria which is fighting Boko Haram insurgents has won ground but more needs to be done to make it fully effective, says a newly released 40-page report from the International Crisis Group.
- Thu - Jul 2, 2020: Niger Presidential Election - Two Heavy Weight Candidates Known - AllAfrica News: Niger
[Cameroon Tribune] The Minister of Interior Mohamed Bazoum and the former military junta Djibo Salou have made public their intention to run in December.
- Sat - Jun 27, 2020: Dialogue With Terrorists Should Start With Community Voices - AllAfrica News: Niger
[ISS] Dialogue as a plausible method for countering violent extremism has gained traction in the past year as international and regional actors consider new ways to end terrorism in the Lake Chad Basin region. A violent insurgency initiated by Boko Haram in Nigeria's north-east has spread to communities in Cameroon, Chad and Niger, resulting in a protracted conflict with dire humanitarian consequences.
- Tue - Jun 23, 2020: Deported Kiza Lounge Owner Now Free to Return to Kenya - AllAfrica News: Niger
[Nairobi News] Oumarou Moumouni Ali, Niger's consul to Kenya and owner of the controversial Kiza Lounge in Nairobi's Kilimani suburb, is free to return to Nairobi, nearly a year after he was deported over allegations of international crime links.