COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mahamadou Issoufou
Population: 18,638,600 (2016)
Land Size: 1.27 million sq km (489,000 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Wed - Aug 16, 2017: Niger Smugglers Take Migrants On Deadlier Saharan Routes - UN - AllAfrica News: Niger
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Dakar -"Cars break down, drivers get lost and migrants get abandoned"
- Mon - Aug 14, 2017: Forces Conduct Unauthorized Search of UN Main Base - AllAfrica News: Niger
[Deutsche Welle] Nigerian forces raided the UN's compound in Maiduguri, the epicenter of a conflict with Islamist group Boko Haram. The search could hurt the already fragile relationship between the military and the world body.
- Tue - Aug 1, 2017: Return of Nigerian Refugees Should Be Voluntary - AU - AllAfrica News: Niger
[VOA] The African Union Peace and Security Council has urged Cameroon to ensure the repatriation of Nigerian refugees fleeing Boko Haram is done on a voluntary basis.
- Tue - Aug 1, 2017: Fear of Boko Haram Drives Thousands to Flee From Niger to Chad - AllAfrica News: Niger
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Dakar -Fear of Boko Haram attacks has driven at least 7,000 people from Niger to seek refuge in Chad in the last week, and thousands more may cross the border if the violence escalates, the United Nations said.
- Tue - Jul 25, 2017: Rumoured Killings in Bakassi - Nigerian Community Refutes Allegations - AllAfrica News: Niger
[Cameroon Tribune] A crisis meeting chaired by the SDO of Ndian held on July 20, 2017 in Idabato.