COAT OF ARMS
Current President: Filipe Nyusi
Population: 30,098,197 (2020)
Land Size: 812,379 sq km (313,661 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Sat - Jan 16, 2021: Nyusi Swears New CNE Members Into Office - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -- Mozambican President Filipe Nyusi on Friday swore into office the 17 members of the National Elections Commission (CNE).
- Sat - Jan 16, 2021: Illegal Fishing Declines in Bazaruto National Park - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -- The administration of the Bazaruto Archipelago National Park (PNAB), Mozambique's largest marine conservation area, has recorded a significant reduction in illegal fishing cases, by nearly half, in 2020 compared with the previous year.
- Sat - Jan 16, 2021: Covid-19 - 735 New Cases and Five Deaths - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -- The Mozambican health authorities on Friday recorded the second highest daily total of new cases of the Covid-19 respiratory disease since the start of the pandemic.
- Fri - Jan 15, 2021: How Do We Reverse the Resource Curse? - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[Africa In Fact] Scholar Richard Auty first coined the phrase 'resource curse' in 1993 to illustrate the confounding nature of the relationship between natural resource abundance and under-development. Intuitively we expect that natural resources would provide the bedrock for development. To the contrary, empirical evidence suggests a strong correlation between natural resource wealth and poor development outcomes, at least since the early 1970s. For instance, where resource dependency - the proportion of a country's resou
- Thu - Jan 14, 2021: Josina Machel's Former Boyfriend Seeks Injunction - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -- A Maputo judge has granted businessman Rufino Licuco an injunction seeking to forbid his former girlfriend, Josina Machel, daughter of Mozambique's first President, Samora Machel, from using his name or image.