COAT OF ARMS
Current President: Filipe Nyusi
Population: 30,098,197 (2020)
Land Size: 812,379 sq km (313,661 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Oct 20, 2020: Relief Agency On Alert As the Rainy Season Begins - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -- The Mozambican relief agency, the National Disaster Management Institute (INGC), in partnership with the community risk management committees, is putting in place preventive efforts in response to the rainy season, which begins in October, said on Monday the INGC delegate in the northern province of Nampula, Alberto Armando.
- Tue - Oct 20, 2020: Covid-19 Death Rate in Mozambique Remains Low - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -- The death rate in Mozambique from the Covid-19 respiratory disease remains lower than that of any other mainland southern African country that is keeping figures.
- Tue - Oct 20, 2020: Court Seeks Extradition of Ex-Credit Suisse Bankers - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -- The Mozambican Supreme Court has granted authorisation to the Attorney-General's Office (PGR) to seek the extradition to Mozambique of three bankers from Credit Suisse involved in the scandal of the country's "hidden debts", according to a report in Tuesday's issue of the Maputo daily "Noticias".
- Tue - Oct 20, 2020: Mozambican Forces Claim Death of 270 Insurgents - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -- The Mozambican defence and security forces claim to have killed 270 islamist terrorists in the region of Awasse, in Mocimboa da Praia district, in the northern province of Cabo Delgado, according to the website "Noticias de Defesa de Mocambique", which acts as an unofficial mouthpiece for the Defence Ministry.
- Tue - Oct 20, 2020: Covid-19 Cases Now Exceed 11,000 - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -- The number of cases of the Covid-19 respiratory disease diagnosed in Mozambique now exceeds 11,000, the Deputy National Director of Public Health, Benigna Matsinhe, announced on Monday.