COAT OF ARMS
Current President: Filipe Nyusi
Population: 27,233,789 (2018)
Land Size: 812,379 sq km (313,661 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Aug 21, 2019: Case Study Shows That Poverty Is About Much More Than Income - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[The Conversation Africa] What does it mean to be poor? On the face of it, this may not sound like a very difficult question. In developed countries, almost all official and everyday definitions refer to poverty in income terms. In this sense, low consumption power (income) and poverty are essentially synonymous.
- Tue - Aug 20, 2019: Nyusi Appoints Temporary Provincial Governors - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -Mozambican President Filipe Nyusi has appointed temporary governors for the provinces of Niassa, Cabo Delgado and Manica.
- Tue - Aug 20, 2019: Renamo Claims Frelimo Heads Of List Ineligible In Four Provinces - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -Mozambique's main opposition party, the former rebel movement Renamo, intends to appeal to the Attorney-General's Office (PGR) to overrule the National Elections Commission (CNE), which ruled at the weekend that it is quite in order for the ruling Frelimo Party to run as candidates for provincial governor in the forthcoming general elections people who are not resident or registered as voters in the provinces for which they are running.
- Tue - Aug 20, 2019: Elephant Population Now Said to Be Stable - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -The elephant population in Mozambique is now about 10,800, according to the elephant census carried out in 2018.
- Tue - Aug 20, 2019: Second Senior National Social Security Institute Figure Detained - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -The former general director of Mozambique's National Social Security Institute (INSS), Baptista Machaieie, was detained in Maputo on Monday, on the orders of the Central Office for the Fight against Corruption (GCCC), reports Tuesday's issue of the Maputo daily "Noticias".