COAT OF ARMS
Current President: Filipe Nyusi
Population: 26,573,706 (2017)
Land Size: 812,379 sq km (313,661 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Aug 17, 2018: Debt Crisis - Who Will Pay the Bill? - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[Deutsche Welle] As Mozambique's hidden debt scandal continues, groups are pushing for the secret loans that triggered the financial crisis to be declared illegal.
- Fri - Aug 17, 2018: New Media Fees Assault Press Freedom - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[HRW] Mozambique's government should cancel recently imposed exorbitant fees on local and foreign media operating in the country. The new fees are a huge setback for press freedom and access to information in Mozambique.
- Fri - Aug 17, 2018: Chinese Company Accused of Illegal Logging in Inhambane - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -Residents and the local authorities in the district of Funhalouro, in the southern Mozambican province of Inhambane, have accused Chinese loggers of illegally felling trees in the Tome administrative post, reports Thursday's issue of the independent daily "O Pais".
- Fri - Aug 17, 2018: Former Prisons Director On Trial - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -The Mozambican Public Prosecutor's Office on Thursday urged the Maputo City Court to hand down an "exemplary" sentence against the former National Director of Prison Services in the Justice Ministry, Luis Cezerilo, who is accused of abusing his office and making false statements.
- Fri - Aug 17, 2018: Nyusi Opens SADC Lawyers Conference - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -Mozambican President Filipe Nyusi on Thursday urged lawyers from the countries of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) to play their role in the challenges of guaranteeing sustainable and transparent management of natural resources, as a contribution towards attaining social justice.