COAT OF ARMS
Current President: Filipe Nyusi
Population: 30,098,197 (2020)
Land Size: 812,379 sq km (313,661 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Aug 7, 2020: Explosive Compound That Decimated Beirut Was Meant for Mozambique - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[Daily Maverick] The deadly consignment had been ordered by the Fabrica de Explosivos de Mozambique, (FEM) a company which manufactures commercial explosives, The New York Times and other media have reported.
- Thu - Aug 6, 2020: Afreximbank Commits U.S.$400 Million To LNG Project - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[Afreximbank] The African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank), Africa's foremost multilateral trade finance institution, is supporting the advancement of Mozambique's energy industry and economy by committing up to US$400 million in guarantees and direct lending to the Area 1 LNG Project. The total Project is estimated to cost about US$24 billion and is set to be the largest private foreign direct investments in Africa, and one of the largest LNG projects in the world. It will play a key role in Mozambiqu
- Thu - Aug 6, 2020: Could It Be Third Time Lucky for Lasting Peace? - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[DW] A year after the Mozambican government signed a peace agreement with the opposition party RENAMO, the country has yet to achieve its main goal: putting an end to armed violence and ensuring lasting peace and prosperity.
- Mon - Aug 3, 2020: 500 Malawian Returnees From SA Arrive, As Mozambique Deports 45 Malawians - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[Nyasa Times] Over 500 returnee Malawians have arrived in the country from South Africa as Mozambique has deported 45 over lack of proper travel documents.
- Mon - Aug 3, 2020: Covid-19: Emergency Measures End As Cases Jump - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[Mozambique News Reports And Clippings] The state of emergency, decreed on 1 April, expired at midnight on Wednesday 29 July. The constitution limits a state of emergency to a maximum of 120 days, and so Nyusi could not extend it. With the end of the state of emergency, many of the restrictive measures cease to have the force of law - but in his speech to the nation on Wednesday, the President urged people to continue obeying them anyway, as a matter of public health.