COAT OF ARMS
Current President: Filipe Nyusi
Population: 26,573,706 (2017)
Land Size: 812,379 sq km (313,661 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Jun 22, 2018: Islamist Terrorism - An Emerging Threat? - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[Atlantic Council] In October 2017, a little-known Islamist insurgency by the name of "Ahlu Sunna wa-Jama" or "Swahili Sunnah," attacked the town of Mocimboa da Praia in Mozambique's northern Cabo Delgado province. The attack began a campaign of terror that has paralyzed Mozambique's northern coast and threatened $30 billion in offshore natural gas projects, a key lifeline for Mozambique's future development. As casualties rise and civilian displacement continues, the government's heavy security response has not effectively
- Thu - Jun 21, 2018: Security On Alert After Mozambique Attacks - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[Nyasa Times] Government has said its security agents are on alert after Islamists attacks in Mozambique.
- Thu - Jun 21, 2018: Ruling Party Split Over Govt Election Bill - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[Mozambique News Reports And Clippings] The special session of parliament scheduled for today and Friday, 21-22 June, has been postponed, parliament's Permanent Commission announced late Wednesday afternoon. No new date has been set. The session was scheduled to consider the draft election and local government law changes submitted to parliament by the Council of Ministers. These relate to the constitutional amendments which end separate election of mayors and say that the person who heads the list of the party that gains the most votes for asse
- Thu - Jun 21, 2018: Basketball Team Lines-Up Friendly Against Mozambique Ahead of Wcup Qualifiers - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[New Times] Rwanda senior basketball team will face Mozambique in two friendly games over the weekend at Amahoro indoor stadium as part of intensive preparations for Window 2 of the 2019 FIBA World Cup - African Qualifiers scheduled for June 29-July 1 in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Wed - Jun 20, 2018: Nyusi Urges Farmers to Use Mozambican Currency - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -Mulombo (Mozambique), 20 Jan (AIM) - Mozambican President Filipe Nyusi on Wednesday urged the people of Mulombo district, in the central province of Zambezia, to use the Mozambican currency, the metical, and not to accept payment for their crops in the Malawian kwacha.