COAT OF ARMS
Current President: Filipe Nyusi
Population: 30,098,197 (2020)
Land Size: 812,379 sq km (313,661 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Apr 15, 2021: WFP Appeals for U.S.$82 Million to Help Displaced People - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[East African] The UN says it will need at least $82 million to feed and provide basic necessities to thousands of people displaced by an ongoing insurgency in Mozambique.
- Thu - Apr 15, 2021: SADC Parliamentary Forum Committee Calls for Action to Combat Strife in Mozambique - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[Parliament of South Africa] The escalating strife in Mozambique took centre stage at a statutory meeting of the Standing Committee on Democratisation, Governance and Human Rights and Constitutionalism of the Southern African Development Community Parliamentary Forum (SADC-PF). Members of the committee recognised that if this fragile situation is not attended to, it could lead to a much bigger human catastrophe and spill over into neighbouring states.
- Thu - Apr 15, 2021: We Cannot Sit Back, Watch Mozambique Terror - President - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[The Herald] ROBUST action will be taken against insurgents in neighbouring Mozambique as an attack on any member state is an attack on all, while in Zimbabwe Zanu PF structures should ensure communities are on high-security alert to preserve the peace in the country, President Mnangagwa said.
- Thu - Apr 15, 2021: Two Arrested Over Attack On Police Station - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -- The Mozambican police have arrested two individuals suspected of involvement in an armed attack early on Saturday morning against a police station in the administrative post of Capirizanje, in Moatize district, in the central Mozambican province of Tete.
- Thu - Apr 15, 2021: Terrorists Stole Perhaps a Million Dollars in Palma - AllAfrica News: Mozambique
[AIM] Maputo -- The Islamist terrorists who attacked the town of Palma in the northern Mozambican province of Cabo Delgado on 24 March stole over 30 million meticais (about 536,000 US dollars at current exchange rates) from one of the town's banks, according to a report in Wednesday's issue of the independent newssheet "Carta de Mocambique".