COAT OF ARMS
Government: Constitutional Monarchy
Current King: King Mohammed VI
Current Prime Minister: Saadeddine Othmani
Population: 34,314,130 (2018)
Land Size: 710,850 sq km (274,461 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mon - Dec 9, 2019: Morocco and Algeria - Writing Their Next Chapters. How Will They Turn Out? - AllAfrica News: Morocco
[Moroccan American Center] A recent article using data from the Arab Barometer asked the question "Could Morocco see the next uprising after Sudan and Algeria?" While it was selective in its choice of data points, for example, attitudes toward religion, the point of the article, which echoes King Mohammed VI's recent messages, is that the government's programs are not working in terms of equitable distribution of opportunities and economic development. More importantly, many Moroccans, especially youth, are feeling marginalized and
- Mon - Dec 9, 2019: New Zealand Protesters Stand Up Against 'Stolen Blood Phosphate' Illegally Mined From Occupied Western Sahara - AllAfrica News: Morocco
[SPS] Christchurch (New Zealand) -New Zealand protesters organised a campaign and water flotilla in Christchurch, on Monday, to stand up against New Zealand company (Ravensdown) boat, "the Federal Crimson" carrying 55,000 tonnes of stolen "blood phosphate" from the illegally occupied territory of Western Sahara, the group of protesters indicated in various information they posted on their facebook pages.
- Wed - Dec 4, 2019: Haidar in an Act in Sweden - 'The Saharawi Cause Is the Responsibility of All Those Who Fight for Peace and Justice' - AllAfrica News: Morocco
[SPS] Stockholm (Sweden) -The Alternative Nobel Prize 2019, Aminetu Haidar, has asked international organizations and the entire European civil society to mobilize to end the serious human rights violations in the Occupied Areas of Western Sahara.
- Wed - Dec 4, 2019: Aminatou to Swedish Parliament - 'Your Decision to Recognize Sadr Delighted Us, but Failing to Implement It Was Regrettable' - AllAfrica News: Morocco
[SPS] Stockholm (Sweden) -Saharawi human rights defender and winner of 2019 Rights Livelihood Awar, Mrs. Aminatou Haidar, emphasized in the Swedish Parliament on Monday that the Parliament's decision to recognize the Saharawi Republic in 2012 was delightful but failing to implement it by the Swedish government in 2016 was regrettable.
- Wed - Dec 4, 2019: Landmark Proposals On Individual Freedoms - AllAfrica News: Morocco
[HRW] Tunis -The Moroccan parliament should adopt the groundbreaking proposals made by a government-appointed body to enshrine individual freedoms, Human Rights Watch said today. In a memorandum published on October 28, 2019, the National Human Rights Council (also known by its French acronym, CNDH) recommended decriminalizing consensual sex between nonmarried adults and granting more religious freedoms.