COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Port Louis
Government: Parliamentary Democracy
President: Paramasivum Pillay Vyapoory
Current Prime Minister: Pravind Kumar Jugnauth
Population: 1,379,365 (2020)
Land Size: 2,040 sq km (788 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mon - Sep 14, 2020: Professor Narsinghen sees Mauritius less democratic than Zimbabwe in certain areas - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[L'Express] Professor Rajen Narsinghen shares his views on our democratic system, as the world celebrates this 15 September the International Day of Democracy. The Human Rights expert is worried about the attacks against our Democracy and goes on to explain that in some domains, Mauritius has become worse than Zimbabwe...
- Sun - Sep 13, 2020: Mauritians March in Second Post-Oil Spill Protest to Demand System Overhaul - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[RFI] Mauritians have taken to the streets for a second rally after the Wakashio oil spill, calling for a "new Mauritius". Thousands travelled to the remote south eastern coastal village of Mahebourg on Saturday, in a day of activism, music, food and art.
- Sat - Sep 12, 2020: Oil Spill Threatens Mauritian Blue Economy, Will Take Decades to Recover - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[SANF] An oil spill off the coast of Mauritius in July is threating the island nation's efforts to attain a blue economy.
- Sat - Sep 12, 2020: Mauritius Oil Spill - Japanese Ship Operator Pledges to Help Pay for Clean-Up - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[DW] The Japanese ship operator of the tanker that leaked over 1,000 tons of oil off the coast of Mauritius in July has pledged $9 million toward clean-up efforts. The oil spill has damaged mangroves and coral reefs.
- Thu - Sep 10, 2020: Yousuf Mohamed - "If there is belief and stamina, there CAN be change sooner than expected." - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[L'Express] This week, Weekly sits with heavy-weight Senior Counsel Yousuf Mohamed to talk about the protest march held in Port Louis on Saturday. We also took the opportunity to ask him about the outcome and the way this is likely to go.