COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Port Louis
Government: Parliamentary Democracy
President: Paramasivum Pillay Vyapoory
Current Prime Minister: Pravind Kumar Jugnauth
Population: 1,356,388 (2017)
Land Size: 2,040 sq km (788 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Dec 12, 2018: Launching of Fire Safety and Emergency Preparedness Week 2018 - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] The 2018 edition of the Fire Safety and Emergency Preparedness Week, aimed at sensitising the public on the causes of fire incidents and educating citizens on precautionary measures to reduce fire risks, was launched this morning at the Municipal Council of Quatre Bornes. The theme this year is Every Second Counts.
- Wed - Dec 12, 2018: Minister Bodha Highlights Importance of International Standards for Road Safety - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] A two-day capacity building workshop aiming to raise awareness on the United Nations Convention on Road Safety among stakeholders engaged in the road safety prevention, kicked off yesterday in presence of the Minister of Public Infrastructure and Land Transport, Mr Nandcoomar Bodha at the Hennessy Park Hotel in Ebene.
- Tue - Dec 11, 2018: Get Some Exercise, and Call Me in the Morning - New Script for Doctors - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[WHO] A workshop on implementation of exercise prescription in Mauritius was held on 03 December 2018 at Gold Crest Hotel, Quatre Bornes. Dr Anwar Husnoo, the Minister of Health and Quality of Life in his speech, reiterated the government strong commitment to fight the NCD scourge. The latter, he stated, is accentuated by the low levels of physical activity in the Mauritian population with only 23% of the adult population meeting the World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations of 150 weekly minutes of physic
- Sun - Dec 9, 2018: Cartoon by PoV to illustrate African anti-corruption fight - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[L'Express] A cartoon by PoV has become the image to illustrate the fight against corruption in Africa. The Media Association of Southern Africa (MASA) decided to use it for its launch on December 9, 2018 - the year designated by the African Union (AU) as the year for "winning the fight against corruption".
- Fri - Dec 7, 2018: Mauritius Voted 'Golf Destination of the Year for Africa' - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[News24Wire] Cape Town -Mauritius has been honoured as the ' Golf Destination of the Year for Africa, Indian Ocean and the Gulf States' , at the prestigious IAGTO awards held in Slovenia in October.