COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Port Louis
Government: Parliamentary Democracy
President: Paramasivum Pillay Vyapoory
Current Prime Minister: Pravind Kumar Jugnauth
Population: 1,356,388 (2017)
Land Size: 2,040 sq km (788 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Oct 19, 2018: Search for Oil to Begin in Seychelles-Mauritius Managed Area - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Seychelles News Agency] A new survey to explore potential oil reserves is expected to begin in an area jointly managed by Seychelles and Mauritius.
- Wed - Oct 17, 2018: Mauritius Hosts International Association of Insolvency Regulators Annual Conference 2018 - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] The International Association of Insolvency Regulators (IAIR) Annual Conference and Annual General Meeting kicked off yesterday at the Sugar Beach Resort, Flic en Flac, in presence of the Minister of Financial Services and Good Governance, Mr Dharmendar Sesungkur, the IAIR Chair, Registrar of Companies, and Director of Insolvency Service, Mrs Prabha Chinien, and other personalities.
- Wed - Oct 17, 2018: Report of the Commission of Inquiry On Drug Trafficking Contains Some 460 Recommendations, Says Prime Minister - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] The Report of the Commission of Inquiry on Drug Trafficking contains some 460 recommendations. The Committee under the aegis of the office of the Secretary to Cabinet and Head of the Civil Service has held several working sessions with representatives of Ministries/Departments/Organisations concerned with a view to expediting the implementation of the recommendations contained in the Report.
- Wed - Oct 17, 2018: Octopus Fishery Reopens After Two-Months' Ban - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] The re-opening of octopus fishery was held yesterday at the Mahebourg Fish Landing station after a two-month ban from 15 August to 15 October, in the presence of the Minister of Ocean Economy, Marine Resources, fisheries and Shipping, Mr Premdut Koonjoo.
- Wed - Oct 17, 2018: Government Is Stepping Up the Relentless Battle Against Drug Trafficking, Says Prime Minister - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] Government is devoting all the necessary resources to step up the relentless battle against drug trafficking in a sustainable manner. In the crusade against drug trafficking, there will be no retreat no surrender, come what may.