COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Port Louis
Government: Parliamentary Democracy
President: Ameenah Gurib-Fakim
Current Prime Minister: Sir Anerood Jugnauth
Population: 1.3 million (UN 2014)
Land Size: 2,040 sq km (788 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Fri - Apr 20, 2018: World Heritage Day Observed amidst Fears for Local Heritage - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[L'Express] The international day for sites and monuments - also known as the World Heritage Day - was observed on Wednesday.
- Thu - Apr 19, 2018: Several Activities Organised to Mark International Day for Monuments and Sites 2018 - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] An award ceremony for the second Heritage Short Film Competition organised by the National Heritage Fund (NHF) in collaboration with the Mauritius Film Development Corporation on the theme "Contribution of our heritage in nation building" was held yesterday at the Rajiv Gandhi Science Centre in Bell Village. The ceremony lies in the context of activities to commemorate the International Day for Monuments and Sites 2018, observed on 18 April. The Minister of Arts and Culture, Mr Prithvirajsing Roopun, and o
- Thu - Apr 19, 2018: Title - Cassam Uteem "ashamed" of the way Mauritians treated Chagossians - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[L'Express] Cassam Uteem, former president of the Republic and a long-time supporter of the Chagossian cause, declared he felt "ashamed" of the way Mauritians treated Chagossians at their arrival in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
- Thu - Apr 19, 2018: Gender Caucus - National Assembly Speaker Elaborates On Findings and Recommendations of Two Reports - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] The key findings and recommendations of two reports issued by the Gender Caucus following studies carried out on Sociological Profiling of Perpetrators of Domestic Violence and Gender Audit in the Civil Service respectively were elaborated yesterday by the Speaker of the National Assembly, and President of the Caucus, Mrs Santi Bai Hanoomanjee, at a press conference at the National Assembly in Port Louis.
- Thu - Apr 19, 2018: Mauritius to Host SIDS Forum and Regional Preparatory Meeting - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] Mauritius together with the United Nations would co-host the Small Island Developing States Global Business Network (SIDS-GBN) Private Sector Partnership Forum and a SIDS Regional Preparatory Meeting for the Africa, Indian Ocean, Mediterranean and South China Sea (AIMS) region, from 21 to 25 May 2018.