COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Port Louis
Government: Parliamentary Democracy
President: Paramasivum Pillay Vyapoory
Current Prime Minister: Pravind Kumar Jugnauth
Population: 1,356,388 (2017)
Land Size: 2,040 sq km (788 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Jun 22, 2018: Budget 2018-2019 - Pathway to Enhancing Employability - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] Budget 2018-2019 makes provision for Rs 1 billion to target some 14,000 unemployed. The aim is to chart the pathway towards enhancing employability and broadening the career aspirations of the youth with better access to the labour market.
- Fri - Jun 22, 2018: Budget 2018-2019 - Advancing a More Inclusive and Equitable Quality Education - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] Budget 2018-2019 lays emphasis on a more inclusive and equitable quality education through the implementation of several measures at the secondary, Technical and Vocational Education Training and tertiary education levels. To that end, a sum of Rs 17.2 billion has been earmarked for the expeditious implementation of educational changes and transformations and for bringing significant improvement in the education infrastructure.
- Fri - Jun 22, 2018: Loan Agreement for the Construction of Phase I of Flacq Teaching Hospital - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] A Loan agreement for the financing of the first phase of the construction and equipping of the Flacq Teaching Hospital project was signed yesterday between the Republic of Mauritius and the Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development at the Ministry of Health and Quality of Life in Port Louis.
- Fri - Jun 22, 2018: Mauritius Ranked Africa's Most Peaceful Country, and the Gambia Records Largest Improvement - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[This is Africa] Mauritius has been ranked in the top 20 of the world's most peaceful countries in the 2018 Global Peace Index (GPI). In the 12th edition of the Index, Mauritius was ranked number 20 out of 163 countries. On the continent Botswana came second, and ranked 29 globally. Sierra Leone was ranked (35), Madagascar (38), Ghana (41), Namibia (43), Malawi (44) and Zambia (48) respectively on the Global Index.
- Wed - Jun 20, 2018: Budget 2018-19 - Extending the Social Aid System for an Inclusive Society - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] Budget 2018-2019 consolidates the welfare system and strengthen support to vulnerable segment of the society. Focus is laid on inclusiveness whereby every citizen has equal rights with regards their adherence into the mainstream society.