COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Port Louis
Government: Parliamentary Democracy
President: Paramasivum Pillay Vyapoory
Current Prime Minister: Pravind Kumar Jugnauth
Population: 1,364,283 (2018)
Land Size: 2,040 sq km (788 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Apr 24, 2019: The Number of Households Eligible Under the Social Register of Mauritius Keeps Fluctuating, Says Minister Wong - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] The number of households eligible under the Social Register of Mauritius (SRM) fluctuates as there are beneficiaries who move in while others move out of the Register. The SRM, a computer-based application to register and identify the poor and their socioeconomic profile, aims at informing policymakers on the effective demand for pro-poor policies. It is a crucial element of Government's anti-poverty policy.
- Tue - Apr 23, 2019: Tourism Sector Expected to Grow By 3.6% to Reach 1 450 000 Tourists This Year, Says Minister Gayan - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] The tourism sector for 2019, according to Statistics Mauritius, is expected to grow by 3.6% to reach 1 450 000 tourists, which is well above the growth rate of 3% required to reach two million tourists by 2030.
- Tue - Apr 23, 2019: Mauritius and Sweden to Further Strengthen Collaboration in Several Areas - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] Mauritius and Sweden will further strengthen their collaboration in several areas namely international law and order, women's empowerment, tourism and renewable energy for economic growth in a sustainable manner.
- Tue - Apr 23, 2019: Mauritians Eyeing More Investments in East Africa - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[East African] East Africa has recently seen a surge in investments from Mauritius, with banking, insurance, agriculture, telecoms, trade as well as the oil and gas sectors receiving most of the capital.
- Wed - Apr 17, 2019: National Assembly - Immigration (Amendment) Bill Voted - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] The Immigration (Amendment) Bill was voted in the National Assembly yesterday. The main objectives of the Bill are to amend the Immigration Act in view of the increase in the number of cases where non-citizens marry citizens for the sole purpose of acquiring the status of a resident. Hence, the Bill will: regulate the entry and stay of non-citizens in Mauritius and make provision for the grant of Residence Permit, Occupation Permit and Permanent Residence Permit to non-citizens signifying their intention t