COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Port Louis
Government: Parliamentary Democracy
President: Paramasivum Pillay Vyapoory
Current Prime Minister: Pravind Kumar Jugnauth
Population: 1,356,388 (2017)
Land Size: 2,040 sq km (788 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Feb 15, 2019: Aurore Perraud - "I see nothing wrong with fielding candidates in Rodrigues" - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[L'Express] This week we talk to the PMSD's Aurore Perraud who has just been put in charge of the party's education file. We ask how her party views the government's education reform, the PMSD's strategy in this election year and why, after a long absence, the party is once again looking to conquer Rodrigues.
- Mon - Feb 11, 2019: Handing Over of Hydrographic Charts of Rodrigues Island and Le Morne - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] A new Hydrographic chart of Rodrigues Island and the first one of Le Morne were handed over, on Friday 8 January 2019, to the Minister Mentor, Minister of Defence, Minister for Rodrigues, Sir Anerood Jugnauth, by the High Commissioner of the Republic of India to Mauritius, Mr Tanmaya Lal, during a ceremony held at the New Treasury Building in Port Louis.
- Mon - Feb 11, 2019: Gelena - Rs 35 Million Disbursed to Help the People of Rodrigues - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] Government will disburse Rs 35 million for repair works to be carried out in the context of the destruction caused by cyclone Gelena in Rodrigues. The amount will be injected in the Chief Commissioner's Relief Fund of Rodrigues.
- Thu - Feb 7, 2019: Mauritius-EU - Third Concertation Meeting On Tuna Supply and Fishing Activities - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] The third Concertation Meeting between the European Union (EU) Fishing Industry and the Indian Ocean Tuna Processing Industry and, with focus on the tuna and fishing industry, opened this morning at the Intercontinental Resort in Balaclava.
- Thu - Feb 7, 2019: Safeguard Wetlands to Maintain a Resilient Ecosystem, Says Minister Seeruttun - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] 'Wetlands have a huge contribution in preserving the habitat of various species and maintaining a resilient ecosystem. We all need to double our efforts for safeguarding wetlands and sensitising the population about its significant advantages in the wake of harsh climatic conditions.'