COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Port Louis
Government: Parliamentary Democracy
President: Paramasivum Pillay Vyapoory
Current Prime Minister: Pravind Kumar Jugnauth
Population: 1,364,283 (2018)
Land Size: 2,040 sq km (788 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Sat - Oct 19, 2019: "The IMF will see the pension increase as madness, especially in such troubled times" - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[L'Express] With the announcement of the dissolution of parliament and the date of the general election, Weekly speaks to Jocelyn Chan Low, historian and political observer. He talks about the possible implications of a short electoral campaign, the impact of the proposed pension increase in the face of a looming global financial crisis, and gives his assessment of the economic situation in the country.
- Thu - Oct 17, 2019: International Day for the Eradication of Poverty 2019 - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] This year marks the 30th anniversary of the adoption of the Convention on the Rights of the Child on 20 November 1989. This landmark human rights treaty sets out the civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of every child, regardless of their race, religion or abilities. The commemoration of October 17 each year demonstrates how greater participation can be achieved by enabling people from all walks of life to come together to respect the human rights and dignity of people living in poverty.
- Tue - Oct 15, 2019: Mauritius to Host International Conference On Diabetes and Associated Diseases - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[Government of Mauritius] The Ministry of Health and Quality of Life, in collaboration with the World Community on Prevention of Diabetes Foundation, Spain and the Diabetes Foundation Mauritius, will organise an International Conference on Diabetes and Associated Diseases from 21 to 23 October 2019.
- Tue - Oct 15, 2019: Snooping on citizens - How an Israeli company might come to determine our politics - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[L'Express] Surveillance of political opponents is becoming a major issue with reports appearing on social media that with the aid of an Israeli firm, the government is snooping on its opponents. Weekly takes a look at the growing role of an Israeli firm - ECI - and how it's coming to play an outsized role within our local politics.
- Mon - Oct 14, 2019: The Commonwealth Secretary-General - "Over US$ 500 million worth of climate change projects for island states" - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[L'Express] Trade ministers of member countries of the Commonwealth met in London on the 10th of October. What was the purpose of this meeting?