COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Port Louis
Government: Parliamentary Democracy
President: Paramasivum Pillay Vyapoory
Current Prime Minister: Pravind Kumar Jugnauth
Population: 1,379,365 (2020)
Land Size: 2,040 sq km (788 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Nov 27, 2020: The reply of the director of public prosecutions (DPP) - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[L'Express] Below is the reply of the director of public prosecutions (DPP) to the open letter sent to his office in these columns.
- Tue - Nov 24, 2020: Sir Harilal Vaghjee - The speaker then... and now - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[L'Express] With the National Assembly and its speaker, Sooroojdev Phokeer, under withering criticism of late, the question must be asked whether the parliament was always like that? To answer to that, we must turn to Sir Harilal Vaghjee, the first, and longest-serving speaker of Mauritius' parliament, to see how far the institution has fallen from its halcyon days.
- Thu - Nov 19, 2020: Ambiance au Parlement - «I am the loudspeaker, why are you shouting ?» - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[L'Express] C'est dans un silence de cathédrale que Pravind Jugnauth a commencé à répondre à la PNQ. Il avait, à ce moment-là, toute l'attention de ses ministres et députés et celle de l'opposition. Dès qu'il «révèle» que les enquêtes de l'ICAC le concernant Angus Road avaient été «discontinued», le soulagement dans les rangs de la majorité devient audible. Le bourdonnement de «h
- Tue - Nov 17, 2020: After-effects of the pandemic - How Covid-19 impacts the relationship between state and business - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[L'Express] Business Mauritius has taken State plan to overhaul the pension system into the CSG to the Supreme Court; meanwhile, lawyer Hervé Duval is challenging several government decisions.
- Thu - Nov 12, 2020: Angus Road and parliament - Was Phokeer allowed to change the PNQ? - AllAfrica News: Mauritius
[L'Express] The Angus Road scandal took on a new twist in the National Assembly on Tuesday with the Leader of the Opposition Arvin Boolell arguing that the Speaker of the National Assembly Sooroojdev Phokeer changed his PNQ, not allowing him to ask whether the Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth broke the Financial Intelligence and Anti-Money Laundering Act in payments to the Bel-Air Sugar Estate. Was Phokeer allowed to do this? And does it set a new, dangerous precedent in the already troubled relations between Phokeer a