COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz
Population: 4,067,564 (2015)
Land Size: 1.04 million sq km (398,000 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Tue - Apr 10, 2018: Force Feeding Burdens Obese Girls With Diabetes, Heart Disease - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Nouakchott -When Souadou Isselmou was made to eat buckets of porridge as a child in southern Mauritania, she hated it so much she would hide food under her armpits and throw it in the toilet.
- Thu - Apr 5, 2018: U.S. Congress Lashes IMF On Slave State - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[CAJ News] Casablanca -IN language rarely seen among nations, some of Donald Trump's closest allies have attacked an International Monetary Fund (IMF) loan to Mauritania, accusing the country of torture, theft and slavery.
- Sat - Mar 31, 2018: Mauritania Jails Slave-Owner for 20 Years in Harshest Ruling - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Dakar -Two slave-owners in Mauritania face 10 and 20 years in prison after a court handed down the country's harshest anti-slavery ruling yet, activists said on Friday.
- Sat - Mar 31, 2018: Court Jails Slave Owners for Up to 20 Years - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[Deutsche Welle] A court in Mauritania has sentenced two slave owners to between 10 and 20 years in jail. Human rights activists have celebrated the ruling, which they say is the harshest anti-slavery decision in the country's history.
- Thu - Mar 29, 2018: Administrative Obstacles Keep Kids From School - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[HRW] Tunis -Mauritania's national civil registration process is preventing some children from attending public school and taking mandatory national examinations, Human Rights Watch said today. The government should change its policies to ensure that no school-age child is deprived of the right to education because of a lack of proper identity documents.