COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz
Population: 4,067,564 (2015)
Land Size: 1.04 million sq km (398,000 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Tue - Nov 21, 2017: Mauritanian Authorities Change Legal Code, Could Retry Mohamed Cheikh Ould Mohamed - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[CPJ] New York -Mauritanian authorities on November 16 approved an amendment to the country's penal code that could allow courts to retroactively retry freelance blogger Mohamed Cheikh Ould Mohamed, who was convicted of blasphemy in 2014, and potentially re-sentence him to death, the state-owned news agency AMI and Agence France-Pressereported. The Committee to Protect Journalists today condemned this change in the country's legal code and called on Mauritanian authorities to release Mohamed immediately.
- Mon - Nov 20, 2017: Ambassador Mawdo C. Juwara, Presents Letters of Credence to Mauritania - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[Foroyaa] Ambassador Mawdo C. Juwara on Tuesday 14th November presented his Letters of Credence to Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz, President of Mauritania at a ceremony held at the Presidential Palace in Nouakchott, a press release from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of The Gambia reveals.
- Wed - Nov 8, 2017: Mauritanian President Concludes Visit to Sudan - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[SNA] Khartoum -Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz has concluded two day-visit to Sudan during which he led his country's delegation to the meeting of the joint Sudanese-Mauritanian High Committee.
- Wed - Nov 8, 2017: Sudan, Mauritania Sign Number of MoU and Executive Programs - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[SNA] Khartoum -Sudan and Mauritania singed in the Republican Palace, Tuesday , and in the presence of President of the Republic, Field Marshal Omer Al-Bashir and Mauritanian President, Mohamed Ould Abdel-Aziz, a number of Memorandums of Understanding and Executive Programs.
- Wed - Nov 8, 2017: President Al-Bashir - We Are Satisfied With Level of Relations With Mauritania - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[SNA] Khartoum -President of the Republic, Foield Marshal Omer Al-Bashir has said that the visit of Mauritanian President to Sudan was successful and fruitful by considering memorandums of understanding and executive programs signed by the two sides at the end of the Joint Sudanese -Mauritanian Higher Committee sessions in the Republican Palace, Tuesday.