COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz
Population: 4,067,564 (2015)
Land Size: 1.04 million sq km (398,000 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Mon - Jun 12, 2017: AFCON 2019 - Zebras Stumble At First Hurdle - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[Botswana Daily News] Francistown -The Zebras exhibited an uninspiring performance at the Francistown Sports Complex on June 10 as they suffered defeat through a solitary Soudani Abdallahi goal at the hands of the visiting Mauritania.
- Thu - Jun 8, 2017: Former Mauritian Leader Calls for Strong Ties Between Private Sector and Govt in Zanzibar - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[Citizen] Zanzibar -Former Finance Minister and Deputy Premier of Mauritius, Dr Ramakrishna Sithanen on Wednesday called for the strengthening of partnerships between the private sector and the government in an effort to boost economic growth in Zanzibar.
- Mon - Jun 5, 2017: The European Union and the Sahel, Fact Sheet - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[PR Newswire] Brussels -The EU supports the Sahel countries - Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania, and Niger - in areas of shared interest such as security, migration, terrorism, the humanitarian response, resilience building and long-term development.
- Tue - May 23, 2017: Japan Contributes U.S.$6 Million to Assist Local Communities and Malian Refugees in Southern-Eastern Mauritania - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[WFP] The three agencies work in collaboration with the Government of Mauritania to strengthen security nationwide and protect Malian refugees and support vulnerable local communities in the country's semi-arid south-eastern Hodh ech Chargui region, where the harsh climate and instability have undermined livelihoods, increased displacements and deepened food insecurity.
- Mon - May 22, 2017: China Works Toward Helping Mauritania Industrialize, Expand Exports - Chinese FM - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[Focac] Nouakchott -China encourages its companies, guided by market principles, to invest in Mauritania and help the country develop its industries, visiting Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Friday.