COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mohamed Ould Ghazouani
Population: 4,005,475 (2020)
Land Size: 1.04 million sq km (398,000 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Dec 2, 2021: Modern Slavery Is Far From Abolished - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[DW] Despite international efforts to abolish slavery, it is well and truly alive in certain parts of the world. Global warming and the COVID-19 pandemic are not helping matters.
- Mon - Nov 29, 2021: Mauritania's National Day - 2021 - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[State Department] On behalf of the United States of America, I send best wishes and congratulations to Mauritania on celebrating 61 years of independence.
- Thu - Nov 4, 2021: Three Algerian Nationals Cowardly Murdered On Nouakchott-Ouargla Road - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[Algerie Presse Service] ALGIERS-Three (3) Algerian nationals were cowardly murdered after their trucks were "barbarically bombarded" on the road linking Nouakchott to Ouargla, said Wednesday a statement of the Presidency of the Republic, which referred to several factors pointing to Morocco's occupation forces in Western Sahara as "having committed this cowardly murder with sophisticated weaponry."
- Thu - Nov 4, 2021: Filt 2021 - Chedli Klibi's Edition Invites Mauritania and Celebrates Chinguetti's Manuscript, 'Sorbonne of Desert' - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -- 300 Arab and foreign publishing houses, 150 Tunisian exhibitors and 22 countries are participating this year in the 36th edition of the Tunis International Book Fair (FILT) which, after a postponement since 2019 caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, is back to be organised at the Kram Exhibition Centre on November 11-21, 2021.
- Tue - Nov 2, 2021: UK Med Critical Care Emergency Medical Team On Mission in Mauritania - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[WHO-AFRO] Ben Zaid Hospital welcomed on Monday, October 11, an emergency medical team from the UK MED, through the Secretariat Emergency Medical Team (EMT) of the World Health Organization (WHO). The deployment of this team follows a request from the Ministry of Health to support the country's efforts to manage severe cases of COVID-19 and to help strengthen the skills of local national teams.