COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz
Population: 4,067,564 (2015)
Land Size: 1.04 million sq km (398,000 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Wed - Sep 20, 2017: Minister Highlights Successful Efforts to Combat Terrorism - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[UN News] In his address to the United Nations General Assembly, the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Cooperation of Mauritania, Isselkou Ould Ahmed Izid Bih, welcomed the progress made in the fight against terrorism and migration through an approach based on dialogue and openness.
- Tue - Sep 19, 2017: Persecuted Journalists Received Moral Support - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[MFWA] A small group of Mauritanian journalists have organised a sit-in on September 11, 2017, to denounce the placement under judicial supervision of their colleagues.
- Tue - Sep 5, 2017: For the Records - Ecomansa Research Trip to Mauritania 'Successful' - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[The Point] The research trip undertaken by the University of The Gambia Economic and Management Students' Association (ECOMANSA) to Mauritania was a resounding success, the students said.
- Mon - Aug 28, 2017: Gambian Community in Mauritania Seeks Govt Help - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[The Point] The Gambian community in Mauritania has called for government support in the maintenance of the sole Gambian school in Mauritania.
- Fri - Aug 25, 2017: African Airlines Wait for Open Skies - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[Africa Renewal] Thousands of air travellers face complicated choices when flying between cities across the African continent. Although transiting through Europe when flying between two African cities is for the most part no longer necessary, still, choices remain constrained by sub-optimal travel conditions including long layovers, relatively high fares, uncertain flight schedules and poor quality of services, underscoring the challenges facing air carriers trying to attract passengers and at the same time make profits.