COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz
Population: 3,840,429 (2018)
Land Size: 1.04 million sq km (398,000 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Aug 6, 2019: Mauritanian Blogger Free and in Exile After Five Years in Jail - Amnesty - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[RFI] A Mauritanian blogger who was freed after spending more than five years in jail under inhumane conditions, even after his sentence was served, has arrived in an unspecified European country, according to human rights group Amnesty International.
- Tue - Aug 6, 2019: Blogger Mohamed Mkhaïtir Released After Five Years in Detention for Publishing a Blog - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[AI London] Following the release of Mauritanian blogger Mohamed Mkhaïtir, who was sentenced to death and held in arbitrary detention for more than five years after publishing a blog on caste discrimination, Amnesty International's Campaigner Kiné Fatim Diop said:
- Tue - Aug 6, 2019: Mauritania On the Cusp of the Digital Change - Local Cloud Founder Yehdhih Ould Mohamed Moctar - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[Balancing Act] London -There are a number of larger African country markets that have started the digital change with higher rates of web and app use. But there are other smaller markets where this change has barely begun. Until recently Mauritania was one of those smaller countries. Russell Southwood spoke to Yehdhih Ould Mohamed Moctar, CEO and Founder Xseeg about his plans to open an independent data centre and a local cloud.
- Tue - Aug 6, 2019: Freed Blogger Arrives in Europe - Amnesty - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[VOA] A Mauritanian blogger, jailed for nearly six years in Mauritania, has said he only "saw the sun six times" during his incarceration.
- Thu - Aug 1, 2019: Angola At Inauguration of Mauritanian President - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[ANGOP] Luanda -The Ambassador, André Panzo, represents Angola at the inauguration ceremony of the new Mauritanian President, Mohammed Ould Ghazouani, set for August 1st.