COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mohamed Ould Ghazouani
Population: 4,005,475 (2020)
Land Size: 1.04 million sq km (398,000 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mon - Aug 10, 2020: Mauritania Passes Law On False Publication Amidst Crackdown On Online Dissent - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[MFWA] Authorities in Mauritania have arrested a journalist, an opposition politician and number of citizens in a recent clampdown on freedom of expression online that includes the adoption of a new law on the publication of false information.
- Mon - Aug 10, 2020: President Appoints New Cabinet - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[allAfrica] Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Ghazouani has appointed veteran public administrator Mohamed Ould Bilal as Prime Minister hours after the previous government resigned amid an investigation into alleged high-level corruption, Aljazeera reports.
- Mon - Aug 10, 2020: Report - the Education Sector As an Engine for Inclusive Growth in Mauritania - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[World Bank] Improving education to foster social cohesion and support economic development
- Mon - Aug 10, 2020: Countries Urged to Target Smugglers After 27 Migrants Die At Sea - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[UN News] Two UN agencies are calling for greater action to dismantle smuggling and trafficking networks following the deaths of 27 migrants off the coast of Mauritania, northwest Africa.
- Fri - Aug 7, 2020: Migrant Boat Capsizes Off Coast, Leaving Just One Survivor - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[DW] A boat carrying around 40 migrants and refugees sunk off the coast, killing almost everyone on board. A UNHCR spokesman said the shipwreck was the fault of 'immoral and unscrupulous smugglers' arranging such journeys.