COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mohamed Ould Ghazouani
Population: 4,005,475 (2020)
Land Size: 1.04 million sq km (398,000 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Sep 17, 2020: Secretary Pompeo's Phone Call With Mauritanian President Ghazouani - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[State Department] The following is attributable to Spokesperson Morgan Ortagus:
- Fri - Sep 11, 2020: South-South Cooperation to Tackle Climate Change - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[UNEP] For the International Day for South-South Cooperation on 12 September, we follow a pioneering, United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)-supported project that's using nature to adapt to climate change in three ecosystems - the coasts of Seychelles, the mountains of Nepal and the deserts of Mauritania.
- Tue - Sep 8, 2020: Senegal Line Up Morocco, Mauritania Friendlies - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[CAF] The Fédération Sénégalaise de Football (FSF) have confirmed two friendlies against Morocco and neighboring Mauritania next month.
- Thu - Sep 3, 2020: IMF Executive Board Completes Fifth Review Under the Extended Credit Facility Arrangement for the Islamic Republic of Mauritania, Approves Augmentation and Us$52 Million Disbursement - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[IMF] Washington, DC: Today, the Executive Board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) completed the fifth review under the three-year Extended Credit Facility (ECF) arrangement for the Islamic Republic of Mauritania. The arrangement was approved on December 6, 2017 with total access of SDR 115.92 million (about US$164 million at current exchange rates), or 90 percent of Mauritania's quota (see Press Release No. 17/468).
- Wed - Aug 19, 2020: Former President Questioned By Police for Second Day - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[RFI] Ex-Mauritanian president Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz slept overnight at national police headquarters in Nouakchott on Monday, and was being questioned by police for a second day on Tuesday, seemingly with regard to allegations of embezzlement during his tenure in office.