COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz
Population: 3,840,429 (2018)
Land Size: 1.04 million sq km (398,000 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Apr 25, 2019: Mauritania 'Blasphemy Blogger' Still in Jail - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[RFI] A Mauritanian blogger who came to world attention after being given the death penalty for blasphemy is being held in "temporary detention" despite serving jail time under a downgraded sentence.
- Wed - Apr 24, 2019: Expanding Trade Across the Maghreb - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[IMF] In 1989, the five Maghreb countries - Algeria, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco and Tunisia - established the Arab Maghreb Union to promote cooperation and economic integration. Thirty years later, there is still a largely untapped potential for regional trade among Maghreb countries.
- Thu - Apr 18, 2019: Mauritian Investors Eye Zimbabwe - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[The Herald] MAURITIAN companies are in Harare to explore business opportunities, citing an improved investment climate since the coming in of President Mnangagwa.
- Mon - Apr 15, 2019: Mauritania's Unfolding Landscape - Elections, Hydrocarbons and Socio-Economic Change - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[Chatham House] Mauritania stands at the threshold of a crucial political change. The actions of political leaders and wider society during this critical period could have large and far-reaching consequences in setting the course for the country's evolution.
- Fri - Apr 5, 2019: Bloggers Detained Over Alleged Publication of False News About President Abdel Aziz - AllAfrica News: Mauritania
[MFWA] The authorities in Mauritania have detained two popular bloggers on charges of publishing a false story about the government.