COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta
Land Size: 1.25 million sq km (482,077 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Fri - Apr 20, 2018: Citizens Want Stability and Security, Former Minister Says - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Deutsche Welle] An old conflict is brewing in central Mali. Pastoralists and farmers are clashing, residents have been killed and thousands more have fled. DW spoke to Zahabi Ould Sidi Mohamed, a former minister of reconciliation.
- Fri - Apr 20, 2018: Negotiations With Jihadists? A Radical Idea Gains Currency in Mali - AllAfrica News: Mali
[IRIN] Bamako -In Mali, which has been wracked by violence and prone to increasingly frequent and deadly jihadist attacks, the once unthinkable is now open to discussion: is it time to negotiate with the extremists?
- Thu - Apr 19, 2018: Ethnic Violence Pushes Malians Into Burkina Faso Crisis Zone - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Dakar -Ethnic violence in central Mali has driven 3,000 people into northern Burkina Faso since February, straining dwindling food and medical supplies in that part of the West African nation, the United Nations said on Tuesday.
- Wed - Apr 18, 2018: Thousands Flee as Inter-Communal Violence Heats up - AllAfrica News: Mali
[VOA] A spike in inter-communal violence in central Mali has sent about 3,000 people fleeing to Burkina Faso over the past few weeks, the U.N. refugee agency reports.
- Tue - Apr 17, 2018: UN Condemns Killing of Peacekeeper in Mali - AllAfrica News: Mali
[VOA] The United Nations Security Council has condemned in "the strongest terms" a deadly extremist attack Saturday on a U.N. military camp in northern Mali.