COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta
Population: 17,885,245 (2017)
Land Size: 1.25 million sq km (482,077 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Aug 17, 2018: Incumbent Keita Declared Victor After Disputed Vote - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Deutsche Welle] Mali electoral officials have named President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita the winner of a poll marred by violence and accusations of fraud. Opposition leader Soumaila Cisse had already called on his supporters to "rise up."
- Thu - Aug 16, 2018: President Wins Presidential Runoff Vote in Landslide - AllAfrica News: Mali
[VOA] Incumbent President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita of Mali has won a landslide victory in the West African nation's presidential runoff election.
- Wed - Aug 15, 2018: UN Chief Appeals for Calm As Mali Presidential Election Draws to a Close - AllAfrica News: Mali
[UN News] Peace and Security
- Wed - Aug 15, 2018: All-Africa and Gambian Boxing Champion Foday to Defend Belt in Mali - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Foroyaa] Super-middleweight All-African Boxing Champion Gambia's Foday Badjie has been accorded a chance to defend his belt.
- Tue - Aug 14, 2018: After Mali's Runoff, Challenges Remain - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Atlantic Council] Protected by some 36,000 troops especially deployed to counter attacks by jihadist terrorists and other militants that had disrupted voting at 644 polling places (out of 23,041) during the first round just two weeks ago, millions of Malians went to the polls Sunday to vote in the presidential runoff between the incumbent head of state, Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta, commonly known by his initials "IBK," and Soumaïla Cissé, a former finance minister.