COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta
Population: 18,429,893 (2018)
Land Size: 1.25 million sq km (482,077 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Sat - Oct 19, 2019: Expanding Sahara Leaves Broken Families and Violence in Its Wake - AllAfrica News: Mali
[IPS] Bamako, Mali/Cotonou, Benin -Abdoulaye Maiga proudly displays an album showing photos of him and his family during happier times when they all lived together in their home in northern Mali. Today, these memories seem distant and painful.
- Mon - Oct 14, 2019: UN Food Depot in Mali Vandalized - AllAfrica News: Mali
[VOA] A demonstration in central Mali Saturday turned from protests about the deployment of Malian troops to Burkina Faso to the looting of a nearby U.N. supply depot, VOA's French to Africa service and the United Nations said.
- Tue - Oct 8, 2019: Why ICC Judges Rejected a Request to Disband Pre-Trial Chamber I - AllAfrica News: Mali
[International Justice Monitor] The plenary of judges at the International Criminal Court (ICC) have unanimously dismissed a defense request to disqualify all judges of Pre-Trial Chamber I that is handling the case of Malian militant Al Hassan Ag Abdoal Aziz Ag Mohamed Ag Mahmoud. Pre-Trial Chamber I is composed of judges Reine Alapini-Gansou, Péter Kovács, and Marc Perrin de Brichambaut.
- Tue - Oct 8, 2019: Mali - Detainee Restraints Causing Grievous Injuries - AllAfrica News: Mali
[HRW] Some Malian military units are using a method to restrain detainees during counterterrorism operations that has led to amputations and other serious injuries, Human Rights Watch said today. The Defense Ministry should urgently adopt international standards for treating prisoners and end the abusive practice, which amounts to torture or other cruel and inhuman treatment.
- Tue - Oct 8, 2019: Cotton Is Trade and That's Why It Matters - AllAfrica News: Mali
[ITC] From Africa to China, cotton remains an important commodity across the world, but four states from West Africa - Benin, Burkina Faso, Chad and Mali (also known as the Cotton 4 countries) - have taken the initiative and applied to the United Nations General Assembly for official recognition of World Cotton Day on 7 October.