COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta
Population: 19,553,397 (2020)
Land Size: 1.25 million sq km (482,077 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Dec 3, 2021: Sweden and UN Agencies Launch Multi-Year Project to Strengthen Food and Nutrition Security in Mali #AfricaClimateCrisis - AllAfrica News: Mali
[WFP] The Government of Sweden, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), and the World Food Programme (WFP) have signed a four-year programme to strengthen the resilience of vulnerable communities affected by food insecurity, malnutrition, and the effects of climate change in the Malian regions of Segou and Sikasso.
- Thu - Dec 2, 2021: Modern Slavery Is Far From Abolished - AllAfrica News: Mali
[DW] Despite international efforts to abolish slavery, it is well and truly alive in certain parts of the world. Global warming and the COVID-19 pandemic are not helping matters.
- Wed - Dec 1, 2021: On Being Knighted by Mali - Despite Coup and Pandemic Delays - AllAfrica News: Mali
[CFA] Washington, DC -- When Ambassador Mahamadou Nimaga told me a few months back that Vivian Lowery Derryck, Chic Dambach and I were going to be Knighted by the Mali government, of course I was surprised as well as deeply honored! Not more than a week later the government of Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta was overthrown!
- Wed - Dec 1, 2021: Five Thoughts on Becoming a Knight of Mali's National Order - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Bridges Institute] Washington, DC -- When then-Malian Ambassador to the U.S. Mahamadou Nimaga told me that he had asked the Malian government to honor my decade of working with Malians and other supporters to restore and strengthen Malian democracy, I thanked him and continued our conversation on Islamist incursions and militias. When, after the August 2020 coup, he said that the honor was still in the works, I thanked him again and continued our conversation about MINUSMA.
- Fri - Nov 26, 2021: Meaningful Investment in Girls' Education Key to Resisting Violent Extremism Recruitment in Mali and Niger - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Daily Maverick] Focus on girls' schooling from an early age is essential for building their resilience and financial independence.