COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta
Population: 17,885,245 (2017)
Land Size: 1.25 million sq km (482,077 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Jun 21, 2018: As Millions Face Hunger in Sahel, More Accountability Is Needed to Attract Support, Warns Red Cross President - AllAfrica News: Mali
[IFRC] About 5.8 million people across Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania, Niger and Senegal are struggling to get enough food and require immediate assistance. To respond to their needs adequately, humanitarian actors need to manage well the funding they receive from their partners and well-wishers, warned Francesco Rocca, the President of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), during a visit to Guinea, from 18 to 20 June 2018.
- Fri - Jun 15, 2018: Presidential Elections Critical to Consolidate Democracy, Says UN Peacekeeping Chief - AllAfrica News: Mali
[UN News] Though the past 12 months had been the most encouraging in terms of advancing the peace process in Mali, security challenges still pose a dangerous threat, with civilians and security forces still being attacked, the top United Nations peacekeeping official told the Security Council on Thursday.
- Wed - Jun 13, 2018: The Niger-Mali Border - Subordinating Military Action to a Political Strategy - AllAfrica News: Mali
[ICG] The Nigerien government and its allies' use of military force and non-state armed proxies to curtail jihadist groups along the Niger-Mali border is stoking intercommunal conflict. Niger should instead adopt a political approach which includes reconciliation, dialogue and, in some cases, pardons for militants.
- Fri - Jun 8, 2018: Migrant Superheroes, Dodgy Donors, and Redesigning Aid - the Cheat Sheet - AllAfrica News: Mali
[IRIN] Geneva -Every Friday, IRIN's team of specialist editors offers a round-up of humanitarian trends and developments from around the globe.
- Fri - Jun 8, 2018: Education Lifeline in Mali Under Attack - UNICEF - AllAfrica News: Mali
[VOA] The U.N. Children's Fund (UNICEF) reports education in war-torn Mali is in a state of crisis and in urgent need of international support to repair the damaged education system and get children back to school.