COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta
Population: 19,553,397 (2020)
Land Size: 1.25 million sq km (482,077 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Jun 9, 2021: Sen. Snowe Condemns Malian Crisis - AllAfrica News: Mali
[New Dawn] Senator Edwin Melvin Snowe, a member of the ECOWAS Parliament has described the military takeover and refusal to relinquish power to civilian rule as troubling.Speaking in plenary at the ECOWAS Parliament in Abuja, Nigeria on Monday, Senator Snowe said every parliamentarian serving in the regional body was elected by their people and to allow the military Junta of Mali to send representation to the parliament, who are not elected would be a bad example and horrifying indication for the future.
- Wed - Jun 9, 2021: Algeria Beats Mali to Extend Unbeaten Record - AllAfrica News: Mali
[CAF] Defending African champions Algeria extended their unbeaten run to 25 matches, after defeating Mali 1-0 in a friendly match on Sunday evening.
- Wed - Jun 9, 2021: Partner of Missing French Journalist Fears Military Effort to Rescue Him - AllAfrica News: Mali
[RFI] Freelance journalist Olivier Dubois was kidnapped two months ago by members of the Group to Support Islam and Muslims, the most powerful jihadist alliance in the Sahel region of northern Africa. Speaking to RFI and France 24, the mother of his children, Déborah Al Hawi Al Masri, says she is frightened at the prospect of a military intervention and would prefer to see diplomatic negotiations for his release continue.
- Tue - Jun 8, 2021: Will Promises of Democratic Transition in Mali Convince France to Leave? - AllAfrica News: Mali
[VOA] Paris -- A promise Monday by Mali's new interim president to hold democratic elections by early next year appears to meet some conditions set by France to resume recently suspended cooperation with Malian forces. But some hope Paris is slowly heading for the exit when it comes to its yearslong Barkhane anti-terrorist operation in the Sahel.
- Tue - Jun 8, 2021: All Malians Must Find Solution to Crisis - Bombande - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Ghanaian Times] The way out of the Malian political crisis first lies in the hands of the citizenry, a Senior Mediation Adviser at the United Nations (UN) Department of Political and Peace building Affairs, Emmanuel Bombande, has said.