COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta
Population: 19,553,397 (2020)
Land Size: 1.25 million sq km (482,077 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Sun - Sep 20, 2020: Sudan Teaches Malians Not to Snuggle With the Military - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Nation] After being tired of their tyrant who soared to power democratically, Malians seem to have forgotten the danger coup d'états present so as to stoop before the putsch that arrested former president Ibrahim Boubacar Keita and forced him to dissolve his government and resign thereafter.
- Thu - Sep 17, 2020: Democracy, Dogmatism and Insecurity in Mali - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Centre 4s] After Niamey last week, the Economic Community of West African States, ECOWAS, is meeting tomorrow Tuesday in Accra, to further deliberate on the situation in Mali. Opposed to unconstitutional changes, only if initiated by the military, ECOWAS does not have a unanimous position on the case of Mali. A country that is experiencing an exceptional insecurity and political turmoil.
- Thu - Sep 17, 2020: ECOWAS Says Junta Needs to Pick Civilian Leaders 'Within Days' - AllAfrica News: Mali
[RFI] After meeting with the Mali junta leaders in Accra, Ghana on Tuesday, six leaders from the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) called on the junta to nominate a civilian transition government within days, not weeks.
- Thu - Sep 17, 2020: Former President Moussa Traore Dies Aged 83 - AllAfrica News: Mali
[RFI] Moussa Traore, the soldier who led Mali in a coup d'etat to rule the country with an iron fist until he was ousted an another coup in 1991, died at home in Bamako, the capital, on Tuesday, according to his family.
- Wed - Sep 16, 2020: Time to Resolve the Malian Crisis (2) - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Ghanaian Times] Ghana yesterday successfully hosted the extraordinary summit of the Economic Community of West Africa States (ECOWAS).