COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta
Population: 19,553,397 (2020)
Land Size: 1.25 million sq km (482,077 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Jul 1, 2020: UN Extends Mali Peacekeeping Mission As Violence, Protests Continue - AllAfrica News: Mali
[RFI] The United Nations Security Council has renewed the mandate of its peacekeeping mission in Mali, MINUSMA, for a further twelve months. The seven-year operation has been beefed up and given extra powers, despite a divergence between the United States and France over the mission's effectiveness.
- Sun - Jun 28, 2020: "Even Though COVID-19 Threatens Us Daily, I Can't Stop My Fight" - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Plan International] "Before COVID-19, I was free to do what I wanted to do, I went about my business and didn't have to worry about what tomorrow will bring," says Maman. The consequences of the coronavirus pandemics on Mali are many and varied, including the closing of schools, workplaces and markets. Although the curfew imposed last March has recently been lifted to the delight of all; the need to respect the barrier measures remains.
- Fri - Jun 26, 2020: Mass Protests Add Pressure On Keita - AllAfrica News: Mali
[The New Humanitarian] London -- Tens of thousands have taken to the streets following contested elections, and as violence rises in the country.
- Wed - Jun 24, 2020: Mali's girl leaders make themselves heard in fight against COVID-19 - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Plan International] "You are the virus! You want to infect us," say some people when they meet the group of girl advocates out in their community in Mali raising awareness about COVID-19. It is not an easy task as rumours and false information have left some people thinking that the disease is just a myth or not as dangerous as they are being told.
- Wed - Jun 24, 2020: Ensuring PASS+ pupils continue their studies at home - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Plan International] "I didn't have the chance to go to school when I was younger because I was sick all the time and the school is about 6km from our village," explains 12-year-old Alama who like many other girls in Mali has had her education interrupted by COVID-19.