COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta
Population: 18,429,893 (2018)
Land Size: 1.25 million sq km (482,077 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: Is Organised Crime Fuelling Terror Groups in Liptako-Gourma? - AllAfrica News: Mali
[ISS] Illicit activities such as weapon, drug, motorcycle and fuel trafficking, cattle rustling, artisanal gold mining and poaching are at the heart of terror groups' survival. These activities also finance their establishment and expansion.
- Tue - Dec 10, 2019: Kadidia, the Taboo Breaker - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Plan International] "You are now a woman. If you greet a boy when having menstruation, you get pregnant. This is what my grandmother told me when I had my first period and this sentence traumatised me," says Kadidiatou S., President of a youth led association in Mali.
- Tue - Dec 10, 2019: Restoring the Dignity of IDP Girls and Women in Mali - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Plan International] Awa B., barely 20 years old, is now a widow and homeless. Thousands of girls and women face the same situation in Mali. They are Oura, Hawoye, Niamoye..., in English girls, women and widows living in a critical situation.
- Fri - Dec 6, 2019: New Tool Predicts Water-Related Conflict - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] London -Conflicts over water are likely to flare up in Iraq, Mali and India in the coming year, according to the developers of an app launched on Thursday which aims to help prevent violence by flagging up potential flashpoints.
- Thu - Dec 5, 2019: In 20 Years, Will Five Arid Nations Be a Sahelistan or a Desert Rose? - AllAfrica News: Mali
[allAfrica] Cape Town -Five countries in west Africa's Sahel region -- Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger -- are facing crises across multiple fronts, including the accelerated impact of climate change, rapid population growth and extreme poverty. As these challenges intensify, international attention has refocused on the conflicts that accompany those challenges. In Mali in November, over 50 soldiers were killed in a bold attack on a military base and 13 French troops died in a helicopter crash suppor