COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta
Population: 17,885,245 (2017)
Land Size: 1.25 million sq km (482,077 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Dec 12, 2018: Over 200 Killed in Mali Ethnic Clashes - AllAfrica News: Mali
[CAJ News] Bamako -ETHNIC militias have killed more than 200 civilians during communal violence in central Mali this year.
- Sun - Dec 9, 2018: Ethnic Militia Committing 'Murder, Mayhem' - Rights Group - AllAfrica News: Mali
[HRW] Ethnic militias have killed over 200 civilians and burned dozens of villages in communal violence in central Mali during 2018, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today. Most victims have been ethnic Peuhl villagers targeted by Dogon and Bambara "self-defense groups" for their alleged support of Islamist armed groups linked to Al-Qaeda.
- Fri - Dec 7, 2018: Can You Build Resilience in Mali When the Bullets Are Flying? - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Seeking the support of central authorities who are "perceived as absent because they cannot meet the basic needs of the population" is often insufficient
- Fri - Dec 7, 2018: EU, France Step Up Security, Development Aid for G5 Sahel - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Deutsche Welle] The EU and France have increased their financial support for projects in the five Sahel states which sit on the southern rim of Africa's Sahara desert. Terrorism and lawlessness have blighted the region for years.
- Wed - Dec 5, 2018: On the Brink - Why 2019 May Be Another Bad Year for Beleaguered Mali - AllAfrica News: Mali
[The Conversation Africa] For Mali, 2018 opened with measured optimism. But the year is ending with a widening gap between what many expected and the harsh realities of daily life for ordinary Malians.