COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta
Population: 18,429,893 (2018)
Land Size: 1.25 million sq km (482,077 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Aug 14, 2019: Child Soldiers and Deaths Surge As Violence Worsens - AllAfrica News: Mali
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Dakar -The number of children forced to join armed groups in Mali has doubled since last year amid worsening jihadist and ethnic violence, the United Nations said on Tuesday.
- Tue - Aug 13, 2019: UN Warns of Spike in Grave Violations Against Children in Mali As 'The New Normal' - AllAfrica News: Mali
[UN News] Voicing great concern over a sharp increase in the killing and maiming of children in Mali due to ongoing fighting and instability, the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) and partners on Tuesday, called on all warring parties to stop attacks and "keep them out of harm's way".
- Sat - Aug 10, 2019: Malians Need Protection as Country Descends into Chaos - UN - AllAfrica News: Mali
[VOA] The U.N. refugee agency is urging countries to provide international protection and asylum to people fleeing the increasingly chaotic conditions in Mali.
- Fri - Aug 9, 2019: AFL Sixth Batch of Peacekeepers Complete Training Heads for Mali - AllAfrica News: Mali
[New Republic] A contingent of the Armed Forces of Liberia is expected to be deployed in Mali as part of the ongoing United Nation Peacekeeping Mission in that West African State. The troops to be deployed have completed pre-deployment training at the Camp Sande Ware Barracks located in Careysburg, that have prepared them for any circumstances that they may encounter while on the mission in Mali.
- Thu - Aug 8, 2019: Experts Prepare Liberian Troops for Mali - AllAfrica News: Mali
[New Dawn] British and French military experts have completed weeks of training Liberian military personnel at Camp Ware in Careysburg, Montserrado County in preparation for the sixth deployment of Liberian troops to Mali this September on a UN peacekeeping operation.