COAT OF ARMS
Government: Multiparty Democracy
Current President: Lazarus Chakwera
Population: 21,196,629 (2020)
Land Size: 118,484 sq km (45,747 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Sat - Nov 28, 2020: Regional Leaders Plan 'Comprehensive' Response to Mozambique Attacks - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[The Herald] Gaborone -- SADC yesterday undertook to work on a robust regional response to the growing threat of terrorism and insurgency in parts of Mozambique, which it will put in action once finalised.
- Sat - Nov 28, 2020: Proteas Clinch Netball Test Series Against Malawi - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Namibian] THE Spar Proteas clinched the three-match Spar Challenge Test series against the Malawi Queens, with another decisive victory in the second match at the Sun City, Superbowl on Friday night.
- Sat - Nov 28, 2020: Mabedi Closing in On Final Malawi Squad for Cosafa U20 Champs - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Cosafa] Malawi coach Patrick Mabedi is closing in on his final squad for the 2020 COSAFA Men's Under-20 Championship after releasing more players from his provisional selection on Thursday.
- Fri - Nov 27, 2020: Elections Provide a Global Lesson in Democracy - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Africa In Fact] While outgoing US President Donald Trump has repeated tantrums at the prospect of leaving the White House, a lesson in democracy from Malawi is worth paying closer attention to. Lazarus Chakwera was inaugurated as Malawi's sixth president on 6 July 2020 after winning a historic election, which was held after the judiciary overturned the 2019 presidential election and called for a fresh election. This is only the second time this has happened in an African country.
- Fri - Nov 27, 2020: Police Arrest Man Over Sex Abuse of Boys - Charged With Sodomy - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] Malawi Police Service in Dowa have arrested a 21-year-old on sex abuse offences against young boys.