COAT OF ARMS
Government: Multiparty Democracy
Current President: Lazarus Chakwera
Population: 21,196,629 (2020)
Land Size: 118,484 sq km (45,747 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Feb 24, 2021: Govt Commits to Build 2 500 Houses - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] Chikwawa Central member of parliament (MP) Salim Bagus has said State security personnel surely deserve better accommodation like everyone else and asked government to construct houses for police officers and a fence at Nchalo Police Station.
- Wed - Feb 24, 2021: VP Chilima Says Resilient Policies Crucial for Post Covid-19 Comeback - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] Resilient policies and strategies are crucial for Least Developed Countries (LDCs) to enable them jump start the economy after the devastation caused by Covid-19, Malawi's Vice President Saulos Chilima said on Tuesday.
- Wed - Feb 24, 2021: Sumbuleta's Sexual Harassment Assault Investigations Delays Over Covid-19 Scare - MHRC - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] Malawians will have to wait a little longer to know findings of the investigations into alleged sexual harassment of female workers at the public broadcaster, the Malawi Broadcasting Corporation (MBC).
- Wed - Feb 24, 2021: People's Party Upbeat of Retaining Zomba Changulame Seat - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] People's Party (PP) says it will do everything possible to retain Zomba Changalume Parliamentary seat, which fell vacant following the death of John Chikalimba, who was the party's Chief Whip in Parliament while Malawi Congress Party (MCP) says its management team will decide this week how it feature candidates in the forthcoming by-elections.
- Wed - Feb 24, 2021: Govt Abandons Telecentres in Favour of Connect a School Programme - Kazako - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] The Tonse Alliance administration has abandoned the telecentres projects in favour of an initiative called Connect a School Programme to enhance access to information and communications technology (ICT) in schools.