COAT OF ARMS
Government: Multiparty Democracy
Current President: Arthur Peter Mutharika
Population: 19,842,560 (2018)
Land Size: 118,484 sq km (45,747 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Apr 9, 2020: New Music Group Brothaz Kornah in EP Project - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] Newly formed musical group, Brothaz Kornah, has promised fans to expect more "Malawian music for internal ears" in their upcoming untitled EP set to release in July this year.
- Thu - Apr 9, 2020: Govt Reverses Church Ban - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] The decision by Special Cabinet Committee on coronavirus (COVID-19) to impose a ban against church gatherings has been reversed by government, Malawi Council of Churches (MCC) has said.
- Thu - Apr 9, 2020: Govt Rejects Chilima's Solutions to COVID-19 Fight - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] Government says President Peter Mutharika holds the prerogative over the choice of the place to be, saying the country's vice-president Saulos Chilima cannot dictate to the Head of State to leave Sanjika Palace in Blantyre and relocate to Kamuzu Palace in Lilongwe.
- Thu - Apr 9, 2020: Angry Villagers Storm Dedza DC Office Accusing Village Head of Selling Their Land - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] Angry people from group village head (GVH) Kapesi, Traditional Authority (T/A) Kachere in Dedza on Friday stormed the district commissioner's (DC) office, accusing their GVH of selling their land to Dedza District Council.
- Thu - Apr 9, 2020: Catholic Cancels Good Friday 'Way of the Cross' to Avoid Spreading Coronavirus - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] The Catholic Church has this year banned the Way of the Cross on Good Friday, a religious tradition depicting the sufferings and consequent crucifixion of Jesus Chirst to adhere to social distancing measures and slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).