COAT OF ARMS
Government: Multiparty Democracy
Current President: Arthur Peter Mutharika
Population: 19,842,560 (2018)
Land Size: 118,484 sq km (45,747 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Sat - Oct 19, 2019: Malawi Flagship Newspaper Nation Closed in Tax Dispute - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] The Malawi Revenue Authority (MRA) has shut down the flagship newspaper The Nation, which is critical of the government, accusing it of failing to pay taxes.
- Fri - Oct 18, 2019: Malawian Migrants Blame Financial Woes On Sanctions - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[New Zimbabwe] Malawian nationals living in Zimbabwe have been severely affected by their host country's economic tailspin.
- Fri - Oct 18, 2019: VP Chimulirenji Donates Maize to Karonga Flood Victims - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] State Vice President, Everton Chimulirenji says government is committed to assisting people who were affected by floods during the 2018/19 rain season to reduce the impact of the disaster on their livelihoods.
- Fri - Oct 18, 2019: Prosecute Cops Found On Wrong Side of the Law, Inspectorate Told - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] Opening a refresher course on Child Protection and Gender Based Violence in Dowa, Director of Research and Planning in the Malawi Police Service Dr George Kainja has been bold enough to admit that members of the pubic have lost trust in the police. The admission is coming at a time when pubic trust is at the lowest ebb since the dawn of democracy. Although he has made an assurance that the police is doing something about it, it remains to be seen whether this will materialise.
- Fri - Oct 18, 2019: Govt Condemns Alleged Sexual Harrassment by Police Officers - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] The Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare on Thursday issued a statement to condemn allegations by rights groups that Malawi police officers raped women, defiled girls and tortured them during demonstrations in Lilongwe over presidential election results.