COAT OF ARMS
Government: Multiparty Democracy
Current President: Arthur Peter Mutharika
Population: 19,842,560 (2018)
Land Size: 118,484 sq km (45,747 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Aug 21, 2019: Elections Body Announced Figures That Were Not Verified By Auditors - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] Despite the Malawi Electoral Commission (MEC) failing to submit an electoral audit report in the in the ongoing constitutional case where opposition leaders are challenging results of the May 21 2019 presidential election, the document is now in public domain and dominates the discussion in different social media forums.
- Tue - Aug 20, 2019: Mutharika Lawyers Wrap Up Cross-Examination of Chilima - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] After eight days of gruelling cross examination, UTM Party leader Saulos Chilima remains in the witness box at the Constitutional Court in the ongoing presidential election court petition case as his legal team now starts re-examination.
- Tue - Aug 20, 2019: Court Censors MEC for Collusion With DPP in Malawi Poll Case - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] The Constitutional Court in the ongoing presidential election court petition case has censored the Malawi Electoral Commission (MEC) for its conduct particularly for appearing to act in collusion with the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) presidential candidate Peter Mutharika's lawyers.
- Tue - Aug 20, 2019: Malawi Tnm Super League Title Race Wide Open - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] Mighty Be Forward Wanderers ended the 2019 TNM Super League first round with a 2-3 loss against Moyale Barracks but still are the leaders in which they are set to receive a bonus of K1 million but title race is wide open and is probably going to be tight for the second phase.
- Tue - Aug 20, 2019: Former President Muluzi Offers to Help Quell Political Impasse - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] Former president Bakili Muluzi has once again asked for a meeting with the Human Rights Defenders Coalition (HRDC) to discuss their planned demonstrations on August 26 that have taken a new direction in that the organizers intend to shut down the airports and borders.