COAT OF ARMS
Government: Multiparty Democracy
Current President: Arthur Peter Mutharika
Population: 19,842,560 (2018)
Land Size: 118,484 sq km (45,747 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Jan 23, 2020: The Blessed Generation Set to Drop a Single - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] After releasing two singles in a space of two months, Blantyre based Gospel Music group, the Blessed Generation is set to release another single titled 'Thandizeni' expected to hit the airwaves on Saturday, January 26.
- Thu - Jan 23, 2020: Medical Council Sets Up Inquiry On Kottana's Death - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] Officials of Medical Council of Malawi say they are setting up an inquiry on the death of Kottana Chidyaonga following conflicting reports on the cause of her death with some saying she died of snake bite whilst others say it was due to termik poisoning.
- Thu - Jan 23, 2020: Court Quashes Warrant Which Led to Arrest of Mpinganjira - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] A Magistrate Court in Zomba on Wednesday late night quashed an arrest warrant obtained by Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) from Lilongwe Magistrate Court against prominent businessman Thomson Mpinganjira, owner of FDH Bank over allegations he tried to bribe judges hearing a legal challenge to the re-election of President Peter Mutharika.
- Thu - Jan 23, 2020: Country to Have High End Manufacturing Company - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] Malawi is soon expected to have a pharmaceutical manufacturing company that specialises in manufacturing high value products following discussions of a possible investment in the pharmaceutical industry which has come on the sidelines of the just ended UK-Africa Investment Summit.
- Thu - Jan 23, 2020: First Capital Bank Boss Calls for Criminal Justice Reforms - AllAfrica News: Malawi
[Nyasa Times] First Capital Bank Group chairperson Hitesh Anadkat on Tuesday handed over a 384-bed prison block to Chichiri Prison in Blantyre worth K350 million with a call to encourage community sentence programmes and drastically reduce the use of custody on minor offences.