COAT OF ARMS
Government: Untiary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Hery Martial Rajaonarimampianina
Population: 25,054,161 (2017)
Land Size: 587,041 sq km (226,658 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Oct 16, 2018: Madagascar Poised to Make Africa Cup of Nations History - AllAfrica News: Madagascar
[CAF] Madagascar will book a place at the Africa Cup of Nations tournament for the first time if they defeat visiting Equatorial Guinea on Tuesday.
- Mon - Oct 15, 2018: SA Lends a Modest Helping Hand in Super-Costly Polls - AllAfrica News: Madagascar
[Daily Maverick] After playing an important role in resolving the political conflict that threatened to scupper Madagascar's presidential elections, South Africa stands ready to help again. There are, however, limits to the extent of this assistance to this country with a small economy and very, very expensive elections.
- Wed - Oct 3, 2018: Elections - 36 Candidates, 4 (Ex-) Presidents, and a Lot of Money - AllAfrica News: Madagascar
[African Arguments] Madagascar is one of the poorest countries in the world, yet its elections rank among the most expensive.
- Wed - Sep 26, 2018: EU Deploys Election Observation Mission to Madagascar - AllAfrica News: Madagascar
[EASS] Statements by the HR/VP
- Mon - Sep 24, 2018: Education Can Help Protect Sawfishes in Mozambique and Madagascar - AllAfrica News: Madagascar
[The Conversation Africa] Of all sharks and rays worldwide, sawfishes - related to stingrays and manta rays - are considered to be the family at greatest risk of extinction. The long, toothed saw - which gives them their unique appearance - also makes them extremely vulnerable to entanglement in fishing nets. Their numbers have fallen because they are caught accidentally in industrial fishing nets. In addition to that, they are targeted by some fishermen because their fins can fetch high prices.