Government: Untiary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Andry Rojoelina
- Agriculture, including fishing and forestry, is a mainstay of the economy, accounting for more than one-fourth of GDP and employing 80% of the population.
- Major exporter of apparel.
Population: 25,683,610 (2018)
Land Size: 587,041 sq km (226,658 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Malayo-Indonesian (Merina and related Betsileo)
- Cotiers (mixed African, Malayo-Indonesian, and Arab ancestry – Betsimisaraka, Tsimihety, Antaisaka, Sakalava)
- Indigenous African Religions: 52%
- Christian: 41%
- Muslim: 7%
- French (official)
- Malagasy (official)