COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: TripoliGovernment: Provisional Government
Chairman of the Presidential Council: Fayez al-Sarraj
Population: 6,754,507 (2018)
Land Size: 1.77 million sq km (685,524 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Jun 14, 2019: From 'Easy' Juba, Criminal Gangs Find Legal Ways to Smuggle People - AllAfrica News: Libya
[East African] While the world's attention is focused on ensuring peace returns to South Sudan, the country's capital Juba is turning into yet another lucrative hub of human trafficking on the continent.
- Fri - Jun 14, 2019: Rethink State-Building in the Middle East and North Africa - AllAfrica News: Libya
[Chatham House] To have any chance of success, post-conflict governance models for Iraq and Libya must acknowledge 'hybrid' armed groups and incorporate them in rebuilding the state, but focus on improving their accountability.
- Tue - Jun 11, 2019: Migrants and Refugees With TB 'Left to Die' in Detention Centres - AllAfrica News: Libya
[UN News] Migrants and refugees suffering from tuberculosis are being left "effectively to die" in a Libyan detention centre south of Tripoli, the UN human rights office, OHCHR, said on Friday, citing reports that those returned to shore by the coastguard have been disappeared or sold to traffickers.
- Sun - Jun 9, 2019: Thousands Flee Devastating Floods in Southwest - AllAfrica News: Libya
[VOA] The U.N. refugee agency reports heavy flooding has devastated whole neighborhoods in the city of Ghat in south-west Libya forcing thousands of people to flee for their lives.
- Mon - Jun 3, 2019: 149 Victims Rescued From War Torn Tripoli - AllAfrica News: Libya
[CAJ News] Tripoli -SOME 65 children are among 149 vulnerable refugees and asylum-seekers evacuated from Libya amid violent clashes in a deteriorating security situation in the capital Tripoli.