COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: TripoliGovernment: Provisional Government
Chairman of the Presidential Council: Fayez al-Sarraj
Population: 6,890,535 (2020)
Land Size: 1.77 million sq km (685,524 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Sep 18, 2020: Migrant Disaster Stoked By EU Strategy - AllAfrica News: Libya
[ISS] Detention centres and corrupt coast guards prey on migrants, but the EU continues to support Libyan border authorities.
- Wed - Sep 16, 2020: Statement on the Mandate Renewal for the UN Support Mission - AllAfrica News: Libya
[State Department] The United States welcomes the renewal of the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) mandate in UNSCR 2542 (2020), which includes the creation of a new UN Special Envoy for Libya position. A Special Envoy to lead UNSMIL, with the backing of the Security Council, will be well positioned to focus on mediation with Libyan and international actors to end the conflict and help Libyans reach a lasting political solution.
- Wed - Sep 16, 2020: UN To Appoint Special Envoy, Extends Mandate of Mission to 2021 - AllAfrica News: Libya
[UN] The Security Council today decided to extend for one year the mandate of its integrated special political mission in Libya, listing a range of mediation and good offices tasks, while also charging the Secretary-General with conducting an independent review of its structure, priorities and staffing effectiveness.
- Wed - Sep 16, 2020: Several Members of UN Security Council Praise Libyan Dialogue in Bouznika - AllAfrica News: Libya
[MAP] United Nations -- Several members of the UN Security Council on Tuesday welcomed the inter-Libyan dialogue held in Bouznika and its outcome, considering it a "positive step" towards the rapid resumption of the political process and a way out of the crisis in Libya.
- Wed - Sep 16, 2020: President of Libyan High Council of State Welcomes Morocco's Efforts to Ensure Success of Libyan Dialogue - AllAfrica News: Libya
[MAP] Tripoli -- President of the Libyan High Council of State, Khaled Al Mechri, expressed, on Tuesday, gratitude for Morocco's efforts in order to ensure the success of the Inter-Libayn dialoguie held recently in Bouznika, near Rabat.