COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: TripoliGovernment: Provisional Government
Chairman of the Presidential Council: Fayez al-Sarraj
Population: 6,754,507 (2018)
Land Size: 1.77 million sq km (685,524 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Apr 25, 2019: 'Horrific' Attack On Migrants At Detention Centre Condemned - AllAfrica News: Libya
[AI London] Yesterday's wounding of refugees and migrants at a detention centre south of Tripoli must be investigated as a war crime
- Wed - Apr 24, 2019: Thousands of People At Risk As Fighting Escalates in Tripoli - AllAfrica News: Libya
[MSF] Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is extremely concerned for the safety of civilians in Tripoli as escalating fighting forces thousands of Libyan families to flee their homes and seek shelter. We urgently call for the immediate evacuation of the more than 3,000 refugees and migrants trapped in detention centers who are at risk of being caught in the crossfire.
- Wed - Apr 24, 2019: Expanding Trade Across the Maghreb - AllAfrica News: Libya
[IMF] In 1989, the five Maghreb countries - Algeria, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco and Tunisia - established the Arab Maghreb Union to promote cooperation and economic integration. Thirty years later, there is still a largely untapped potential for regional trade among Maghreb countries.
- Wed - Apr 24, 2019: Children's Lives and Well-Being in Danger As Fighting Intensifies in Tripoli, Libya - AllAfrica News: Libya
[Unicef] New York/Tripoli -Joint statement by Henrietta Fore, UNICEF Executive Director, and Virginia Gamba, Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict
- Wed - Apr 24, 2019: Tripoli Government Attempts to Pressure France Over Haftar Support - AllAfrica News: Libya
[RFI] The French government has rejected claims by Libya's UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) that it has been supporting Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, whose forces have launched a military offensive to take the capital Tripoli. Libya's interior ministry said it was suspending all relations with France over support for Haftar and his Libyan National Army (LNA).