COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: TripoliGovernment: Provisional Government
Chairman of the Presidential Council: Fayez al-Sarraj
Population: 6,890,535 (2020)
Land Size: 1.77 million sq km (685,524 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Nov 27, 2020: Understanding Libya Since Gaddafi - AllAfrica News: Libya
[The Point] Ulf Laessing's book Understanding Libya Since Gaddafi is published at a time when it has never been so important to know what is happening in Libya, but few outside the country and diaspora actually appreciate and comprehend events there. Libya post-2011 conjures up an image of chaos and disappointment at the perceived failure of the Arab Spring, but the story is more complex and nuanced than that.
- Mon - Nov 23, 2020: Rwanda Takes in 79 More Refugees Stranded in Libya - AllAfrica News: Libya
[East African] Some 79 refugees and asylum seekers stranded in Libya arrived in Rwanda's capital Kigali on November 19, the fourth batch to arrive in the country since Rwanda began hosting them in 2019.
- Fri - Nov 20, 2020: Challenges Ahead On Way to Secure and Prosperous Future - UN Official - AllAfrica News: Libya
[UN News] Following years of political instability and conflict, Libya is making substantial progress on the path to peace, the top UN official in the country told the Security Council on Thursday.
- Tue - Nov 17, 2020: Elections to Take Place in December 2021 - Senior UN Official - AllAfrica News: Libya
[UN News] National elections in Libya will take place on 24 December 2021, Stephanie Williams, the head of the UN mission in the country, announced on Friday during a virtual press conference.
- Mon - Nov 16, 2020: Deadlocks Scuttle Dialogue to Resolve Libya Crisis - AllAfrica News: Libya
[CAJ News] Tripoli -- TRIPOLI, (CAJ News) -- EFFORTS to secure peace through dialogue in the restive Libya have gotten off to an undesirable start as lingering concerns over the composition of forum participants haunt the process.