COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: TripoliGovernment: Provisional Government
Chairman of the Presidential Council: Fayez al-Sarraj
Population: 6.4 million (UN 2011)
Land Size: 1.77 million sq km (685,524 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Nov 23, 2017: Report On Slave Auctions in Libya Sparks Protests in Paris - AllAfrica News: Libya
[This is Africa] Protesters gathered outside the Libyan Embassy in central Paris following an exclusive CNN investigation into migrant auctions in Libya. A dozen Black African men were seen being sold at an auction outside of the Libyan capital of Tripoli. Some of them were auctioned off for as little as $400.
- Thu - Nov 23, 2017: France Seeks UN Meeting on Apparent Slave Auctions in Libya - AllAfrica News: Libya
[VOA] France is seeking an emergency meeting of the U.N. Security Council to discuss the alleged sale of African migrants as slaves.
- Thu - Nov 23, 2017: Rwanda's Door Wide Open to All African Brothers and Sisters Still Held in Captivity - AllAfrica News: Libya
[Rwanda Govt] Rwanda, like the rest of the world, was horrified by the images of the tragedy currently unfolding in Libya, where African men, women and children who were on the road to exile, have been held and turned into slaves. Given Rwanda's political philosophy and our own history, we cannot remain silent when human beings are being mistreated and auctioned off like cattle.
- Thu - Nov 23, 2017: Alpha Blondy Wants AU, ECOWAS Action After CNN Exposé On Libya Migrants - AllAfrica News: Libya
[ANGOP] Yamoussoukro -Legendary Ivorian reggae musician, Alpha Blondy, known in private life as Seydou Kone has again waded into the debate for sub-Saharan African leaders to help protect their citizens wherever they find themselves.
- Thu - Nov 23, 2017: Slave Auctions May Be Crime Against Humanity - UN Chief - AllAfrica News: Libya
[Independent (Kampala)] United Nations, United States | UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said Monday he was horrified by video footage showing migrants being sold as slaves in Libya and that these auctions should be investigated as possible crimes against humanity.