COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Monarchy
Current King: King Letsie III
Population: 1,962,461 (2018)
Land Size: 30,355 sq km (11,720 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: Mahao, Others Await High Court Verdict - AllAfrica News: Lesotho
[Lesotho Times] HIGH Court judge Tseliso Monapathi will hopefully end the battle for the control of the All Basotho Convention (ABC) when he delivers judgment on 17 December 2019 in a case in which Professor Nqosa Mahao and his allies are challenging their "expulsions" from the party by its leader Thomas Thabane.
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: MPs Reject Fresh Wool and Mohair Regulations - AllAfrica News: Lesotho
[Lesotho Times] Small Business Development, Cooperatives and Marketing minister, Chalane Phori, finally tabled amendments to his controversial wool and mohair regulations but the opposition immediately rejected them.
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: King Letsie III Must Take Charge of Army - Basotho - AllAfrica News: Lesotho
[Lesotho Times] Basotho want the country's constitution changed to give His Majesty King Letsie III powers to take charge of the country's entire armed forces to protect them from political interference and ensure they exist only to serve the national interest.
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: Parliament Now a Crime Scene - Speaker - AllAfrica News: Lesotho
[Lesotho Times] Legislators who participated in violent clashes in parliament last Thursday have defiled the August House by making it a crime scene, Speaker Sephiri Motanyane said this week.
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: More Blood Will Be Shed in Parliament - Mochoboroane - AllAfrica News: Lesotho
[Lesotho Times] Opposition Movement for Economic Change (MEC) leader Selibe Mochoboroane has warned of more bloody clashes in parliament if the wool and mohair regulations are not amended.