COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Monarchy
Current King: King Letsie III
Population: 1,958,042 (2017)
Land Size: 30,355 sq km (11,720 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Feb 12, 2019: Mosisili Loses Court Appeal - AllAfrica News: Lesotho
[Lesotho Times] RETHABILE Mosisili, the son of former prime minister Pakalitha Mosisili, has lost his appeal against his 2017 dismissal from the Lesotho Highlands Water Commission (LHWC).
- Thu - Feb 7, 2019: Prime Minister Thabane Reshuffles Cabinet - AllAfrica News: Lesotho
[Lesotho Times] Prime Minister Thomas Thabane has reshuffled four cabinet ministers including former Democratic Congress secretary general Semano Sekatle who was moved to the Ministry of Public Service from the tourism portfolio.
- Thu - Feb 7, 2019: Man Dies, People Trapped After Gas Explosion At Mine - AllAfrica News: Lesotho
[News24Wire] One man, believed to be an illegal miner, has died after an explosion at the shuttered Gloria Coal Mine in Mpumalanga.
- Wed - Feb 6, 2019: Economic Growth Recovers But Possible Drought Brings Risks - IMF - AllAfrica News: Lesotho
[IMF] Growth is recovering following last year's slowdown, although the economic situation remains challenging, and the erosion of fiscal buffers highlights the need for adjustment. Government spending -- including on the large public-sector wage bill -- needs to be contained to address financing difficulties, while ensuring that the most vulnerable are protected. Reforms should empower the private sector, rather than the government, to act as the engine of growth and job creation.
- Tue - Feb 5, 2019: Govt Losing Millions to Tourism Contractors - AllAfrica News: Lesotho
[Lesotho Times] ... ... contractors not paying taxes and rentals for using state properties