COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Alpha Condé
Population: 12,413,867 (2017)
Land Size: 245,857 sq km (94,926 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Oct 16, 2018: HRW Says Bauxite Mining Boom in Guinea Threatens Locals - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[VOA] Washington -Mabinty lives in a village in Guinea's Boké region, about 250 kilometers northwest of Conakry, the capital.
- Mon - Oct 8, 2018: 9 Years Later, Bring Justice for September 28 Crimes - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[HRW] Conakry -No one has yet been tried for Guinea's stadium massacre of September 28, in which at least 156 opposition supporters were killed and more than a hundred women were raped, five human rights organizations said today. The organizations are the Association of Victims, Parents and Friends of the September 28 Massacre (AVIPA), the Guinean Human Rights Organization (OGDH), the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), Amnesty International, and Human Rights Watch.
- Mon - Oct 8, 2018: 'Stop Extorting Money From Travelers,' Guinea Amb. Doré Warns - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[Observer] Guinean Ambassador to Liberia, S. E. Alhaji Aldoulaye Doré, has warned security personnel assigned at the border posts to stop demanding money from travelers, "because such an act is illegal and undermines free movement protocol of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
- Mon - Oct 8, 2018: President Weah Applauds Guinea On 60th Independence Observance - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[New Republic] President George Manneh Weah has sent a congratulatory message to the Government and people of the Republic of Guinea on the official observance of the 60TH Independence Anniversary of that neighboring State.
- Mon - Oct 8, 2018: Hope in Guinea, Disappointment in Togo, Impunity in Burundi - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[New Democrat] Will justice be done in Guinea in the very sensitive case of the September 28, 2009 massacre of 150 people in a stadium in the capital Conakry? This looks more likely after investigations closed in December 2017 and the suspects were referred for trial, but victims are not so happy.