COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Alpha Condé
Population: 12,527,440 (2020)
Land Size: 245,857 sq km (94,926 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Nov 24, 2020: Victory for Guinean Massacred Victims At the ECOWAS Court - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[FrontPageAfrica] Monrovia -- The Mano River Union Civil Society Natural Resources Rights and Governance Platform (MRU CSO Platform), has described as a monumental victory against impunity, the November 10, 2020 guilty verdict against the Guinean Government at the ECOWAS Court over the massacre of villagers, in the Zogota community, Southeastern Guinea between Liberia and Côte d'Ivoire.
- Thu - Nov 19, 2020: Post-Election Violence, Repression - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[HRW] New York -- Investigate Use of Excessive Force; Hold Those Responsible to Account
- Mon - Nov 9, 2020: Stumbling Totems of Democracy - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[Chatham House] These two countries offer clear examples of how easily institutional principles underpinning democracy can be manipulated in the interests of those in power.
- Fri - Nov 6, 2020: Lesson for Governments - Africa's Civil Society Helps Mitigate Covid-19 Crisis - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[allAfrica] Covid-19 has presented a severe danger for African societies and economies, as people faced the threat not only of the virus, but also of lockdown regulations that hit vulnerable communities hard. Many states have further used the emergency as a cover to clamp down on civic freedoms and repress the rights of excluded groups.
- Thu - Nov 5, 2020: Media Regulatory Body Lifts Suspension On News Website - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[MFWA] The Media Foundation for West Africa welcomes the lifting of the one-month suspension imposed on online press, Guineematin, by the Haute Autorité de la Communication (HAC), Guinea's media regulatory body.