COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Alpha Condé
Population: 11, 450,000 (2014)
Land Size: 245,857 sq km (94,926 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Mon - Nov 20, 2017: The European Union Announces €400 Million to Support Guinea - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[PR Newswire] Brussels -The European Union has announced that it will contribute ?400 million to the National Economic and Social Development Plan for Guinea presented today at the Consultative Group's meeting in Paris.
- Sat - Nov 11, 2017: Judges Conclude 2009 Massacre Inquiry - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[HRW] Nairobi -The panel of Guinean judges investigating the September 28, 2009 massacre of more than 150 protesters and rape of 100 women by the security forces during a peaceful protest concluded their investigation on November 9 2017, Human Rights Watch said today. The development is a major, much-awaited step in ensuring justice for the victims.
- Thu - Nov 9, 2017: Gendarmes Raid Radio Station - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[MFWA] Gendarmes have stormed the premises of Radio Gangan in Conakry and arrested three of its management personnel, while the station's transmission has been scrambled by the Post and Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (ARPT) in Guinea over what the authorities claim to be speculations on the network about the death of Guinea president, Alpha Condé.
- Thu - Nov 9, 2017: Radio Station Suspended 'For Undermining National Security' - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[MFWA] Conakry-based Espace FM has been suspended for a week by Guinea's media regulator, Haute autorité de la communication (HAC), after airing a programme that the regulator deemed to be prejudicial to national security.
- Fri - Nov 3, 2017: 'Laws Are Just Pieces of Paper' If Not Enforced, Says Rights Activist - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[Deutsche Welle] Many West African women have experienced physical violence in their lives. Guinean women's rights activist Binta Ann says laws are not enough - governments need to follow through to help protect women.