COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Alpha Condé
Population: 12,527,440 (2020)
Land Size: 245,857 sq km (94,926 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Feb 24, 2021: Guinea's Big Break - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[allAfrica] Africa has long suffered from underdevelopment, poverty, and disease. While the Americas, Europe, and certain parts of Asia have enjoyed the benefits of industrialization, digital economies, and healthcare, most of the vast continent of Africa has been left behind.
- Tue - Feb 23, 2021: Vital Ebola Vaccines Arrive After Dust Storm Delay - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[RFI] Health officials are heading directly to Guinea's southeast region on Tuesday, after a special plane with 11,000 doses of Ebola vaccine landed late Monday night.
- Mon - Feb 22, 2021: Questions and Answers on the New Ebola Outbreak - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[MSF] On 14 February 2021, the Guinean authorities declared a new Ebola outbreak. As one of the key medical organisations responding in the huge 2014 -- 2016 West Africa Ebola outbreak, MSF immediately started mobilizing a team of Ebola-experienced specialists to form the core of a response team. Anja Wolz is the Ebola Emergency Coordinator overseeing MSF's response:
- Sun - Feb 21, 2021: Why Ebola Is Back in Guinea and Why the Response Must Be Different This Time - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[The Conversation Africa] New reports of Ebola in Guinea are causing anxiety given the history of the West Africa outbreak of 2014-2016. This was the largest Ebola outbreak reported to date - 28,000 cases were recorded, including 11,000 deaths. It originated in Guinea and then spread to Sierra Leone and Liberia. The confirmed cases this time have been reported from the southeast of Guinea about 800km by road from the capital, Conakry, but only about 100km from various border points with Liberia and Côte d'Ivoire. The concern
- Sun - Feb 21, 2021: Why Is Piracy Increasing On the Gulf of Guinea? - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[DW] Nowhere on Earth do pirates strike more often than the Gulf of Guinea, where more than 130 sailors were taken hostage last year. The area is more dangerous than the Somali coast. The EU wants to do something about it.