COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Alpha Condé
Population: 11,855,411 (2018)
Land Size: 245,857 sq km (94,926 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Oct 18, 2019: End Crackdown On Opponents to New Constitution - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[HRW] Nairobi -Guinea's government should end its crackdown on the right to protest by releasing civil society leaders and demonstrators opposed to a new constitution, Human Rights Watch said today. The government should also investigate the killings of protesters and one gendarme during three days of demonstrations which began October 14, 2019 in the capital, Conakry, and in towns in Guinea's interior.
- Wed - Oct 16, 2019: Several Killed in Protests Against New Constitution - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[Deutsche Welle] Guinea's continued crackdown on opposition protests lead to several deaths on Monday. Police opened fire on demonstrators opposing a new constitution that could allow President Alpha Conde to run for a third term.
- Tue - Oct 15, 2019: Liberia, Guinea Sign Implementation Accord On Mining Deal - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[New Republic] Liberia and Guinea have signed an Implementation Agreement which now paves the way for the two countries to resume the actualization of an agreement entered into about two months ago.
- Tue - Oct 15, 2019: Protests Against Change to Constitution Turn Deadly - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[allAfrica] Cape Town -At least one policeman and a protester were killed on Monday during demonstrations in Guinea against a possible change to the constitution that could let President Alpha Conde seek a third term, Reuters reports.
- Wed - Oct 9, 2019: Study Finds High Rates of Abuse of Mothers During Childbirth - AllAfrica News: Guinea
[VOA] More than one-third of new mothers in four poor countries are abused during childbirth, a study published Wednesday in the medical journal The Lancet.