COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: José Mário Vaz
Population: 1,833,247 (2018)
Land Size: 36,125 sq km (13,948 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Nov 29, 2019: No Rewards for Endless Infighting - Guinea-Bissau Votes Out Its President - AllAfrica News: Guinea Bissau
[Deutsche Welle] The results of Guinea-Bissau's election couldn't be clearer as incumbent President Vaz suffers a stunning defeat. Voters were fed up with Vaz's political quarrels, says DW's Johannes Beck.
- Thu - Nov 28, 2019: Two Former PMs Set for Presidential Vote Re-Run - AllAfrica News: Guinea Bissau
[East African] Two former prime ministers will go head to head on December 29 to determine who will become Guinea Bissau's next president after the November 24 election failed to produce an outright winner.
- Thu - Nov 28, 2019: Presidential Elections Head to Second Round - AllAfrica News: Guinea Bissau
[VOA] Dakar -Guinea-Bissau voters go to the polls for a second round of voting in December to decide on their next president. Results of the first round show that no candidate garnered the 50 percent needed to win outright.
- Thu - Nov 28, 2019: Ex-PMs Advance to Runoff As Incumbent President Eliminated From Race - AllAfrica News: Guinea Bissau
[Deutsche Welle] Incumbent President Jose Mario Vaz is officially out of the race, with Domingos Simoes Pereira and Umaro Cissoko Embalo due to face-off on December 29. Guinea-Bissau has long been plagued by political instability.
- Tue - Nov 26, 2019: Election - Polls Close Amid Fraud Claims - AllAfrica News: Guinea Bissau
[Deutsche Welle] Voters had been hoping the presidential elections would draw a line under years of political chaos. But the day ended with scuffles and accusations of cheating.