COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Presidential Republic
Current President: Ali Ben Bongo Ondimba
Population: 1,772,255 (2017)
Land Size: 267,667 sq km (103,347 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Feb 15, 2019: 400,000 African Pangolins Are Hunted for Meat Every Year - Why It's Time to Act - AllAfrica News: Gabon
[The Conversation Africa] Pangolins, a group of unique African and Asian scaly mammals, are considered to be one of the most heavily trafficked wild mammals in the world. They are hunted and traded for their meat, scales, and other body parts, and used as traditional medicines in parts of Africa and Asia.
- Mon - Feb 11, 2019: Does Regime Security Come Ahead of Real Reform in Gabon? - AllAfrica News: Gabon
[ISS] Since Gabon's coup attempt on 7 January, President Ali Bongo Ondimba has been making changes to restore confidence in his government. Bongo, who was recovering from a stroke in Morocco at the time of the attempted coup, named a new cabinet under Prime Minister Julien Nkoghe Bekale.
- Sun - Feb 10, 2019: Poorer African Nations Rank High in Disease-Fighters' League Table - AllAfrica News: Gabon
[Uniting to Combat Neglected Tropical Diseases] Addis Ababa -African countries with modest national incomes are outperforming some richer nations on the continent in the fight against diseases of poverty known as neglected tropical diseases (NTDs), according to a new league table ranking.
- Tue - Jan 29, 2019: Amissa Bongo - Cyclist Didier Munyaneza Claims the White Jersey - AllAfrica News: Gabon
[New Times] Team Rwanda cyclist Didier Munyaneza won the White Jersey-given to the upcoming rider in the 2019 Tropicale Amissa Bongo cyling event that came to a close on Sunday in Gabon.
- Mon - Jan 21, 2019: Team Rwanda Embark on Amissa Bongo Title Defence - AllAfrica News: Gabon
[New Times] Joseph Areruya, and Team Rwanda, begin their quest for title defence with the first stage of the 2019 La Tropicale Amissa Bongo on Monday - from Bongoville to Moanda covering a total of 100 kilometres.