COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Presidential Republic
Current President: Ali Ben Bongo Ondimba
Population: 2,230,908 (2020)
Land Size: 267,667 sq km (103,347 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Jul 2, 2020: Decriminalisation of Same-Sex Relations a Welcome Step for Equality, Says UN Expert - AllAfrica News: Gabon
[OHCHR] Geneva -- On 29 June 2020 the Parliament removed the provision in the Penal Code that criminalises homosexuality, following a lower house vote on 23 June.
- Wed - Jul 1, 2020: Statement By the Spokesperson On the Decriminalisation of Same-Sex Relations - AllAfrica News: Gabon
[EASS] Statements by the Spokesperson
- Tue - Jun 30, 2020: Community Forestry Can Work, but Plans in the Democratic Republic of Congo Show What's Missing - AllAfrica News: Gabon
[The Conversation Africa] The Congo river basin spans six central African countries: Cameroon, the Central African Republic, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea and the Republic of Congo. It is known as "Africa's lung" because it hosts the world's second largest tropical forest. It covers an area of around 3 million square kilometres - almost the size of India.
- Sat - Jun 27, 2020: LGBT+ Community in Gabon Fears Backlash After Vote to Legalise Gay Sex - AllAfrica News: Gabon
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Lagos -- Gabon's LGBT+ community said on Wednesday they feared a homophobic backlash after the lower house of parliament voted to legalise gay sex, less than a year after making it a crime.
- Thu - Jun 25, 2020: Gabon Takes First Step to Decriminalizing Gay Sex - AllAfrica News: Gabon
[RFI] In a surprise move, less than a year after a new penal code criminalized homosexuality, Gabon's lower house of parliament voted to reverse the law that bans same sex relations.