COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Presidential Republic
Current President: Ali Ben Bongo Ondimba
Population: 1,772,255 (2017)
Land Size: 267,667 sq km (103,347 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mon - Dec 10, 2018: President Ali Bongo Had a Stroke - AllAfrica News: Gabon
[Vanguard] President Ali Bongo of Gabon who has been in hospital since October has suffered a stroke.
- Thu - Dec 6, 2018: Gabon's Constitutional Court Again Protects the Ruling Party - AllAfrica News: Gabon
[ISS] On 14 November, Gabon's Constitutional Court president Marie-Madeleine Mborantsuo announced a constitutional amendment addressing instances when the president is 'temporarily unavailable'. This is to accommodate the absence of President Ali Bongo Ondimba who has been hospitalised since reportedly suffering a stroke on 24 October in Saudi Arabia.
- Thu - Dec 6, 2018: Video of Ailing President Raises More Questions Than Answers - AllAfrica News: Gabon
[RFI] Gabon's President Ali Bongo has for the first time, since his hospitalisation in Saudi Arabia last month, appeared in two videos filmed in Rabat where he is continuing treatment for an unknown illness. Bongo met with Moroccan King Mohammed VI as well as top government officials. However, his appearance continues to raise questions about the state of his health.
- Tue - Dec 4, 2018: First Photo of Gabonese President After Mystery Illness - AllAfrica News: Gabon
[MAP] Rabat -HM King Mohammed VI paid, on Monday, a visit to president of the Gabonese Republic, H.E. Ali Bongo Ondimba, at the Mohammed V instruction military hospital of Rabat.
- Thu - Nov 29, 2018: Gabonese Pres. to Visit Morocco for Medical Reasons, Foreign Ministry - AllAfrica News: Gabon
[MAP] Rabat -President of Gabonese Republic, H.E. Ali Bongo Ondimba, will spend a medical stay in Morocco for the purpose of rehabilitation and recovery in a hospital in Rabat, said the ministry of foreign affairs.