COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Addis Ababa
Government: Federal Parliamentary Republic
Current President: Mulatu Teshome Wirtu
Population: 108,113,150 (2020)
Land Size: 1.13 million sq km (437,794 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Sat - Nov 28, 2020: Communique on the Visit of the African Union Envoys To Ethiopia - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[African Union] Addis Ababa -- The African Union Envoys to the Democratic Federal Republic of Ethiopia, His Excellency Joaquim Alberto Chissano, former President of the Republic of Mozambique, His Excellency Kgalema Motlanthe, former President of the Republic of South Africa, and Her Excellency, Ellen Sirleaf Johnson, former President of Liberia, undertook their first mission to the Federal Republic of Ethiopia from 25 - 27 November 2020.
- Sat - Nov 28, 2020: Prime Minister Says Government Forces 'Fully in Control' of Mekelle - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[allAfrica] In a statement released on Twitter, Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed Ali said the Ethiopian National Defense Force (ENDF) has taken control of Mekelle, capital of the Tigray Province. In a reference to leaders of the Tigray Peoples Liberation Front, he added: "Federal police will now continue their task of apprehending TPLF criminals and bring them to the court of law."
- Sat - Nov 28, 2020: Govt Forces Shell Tigray Capital Mekelle, Says Local Govt - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[RFI] The capital of Tigray has been hit by heavy shelling as the Ethiopian government of Abiy Ahmed began its offensive against the dissident leaders of the country's northern region.
- Sat - Nov 28, 2020: ENDF Seizes Areas of Strategic Importance to Control Junta, Mekele - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[Ethiopian Herald] ADDIS ABABA - The Ethiopian National Defense Forces (ENDF) has seized areas of strategic importance that paves the way to control both the members of the Junta and Mekelle, the capital of Tigray State.
- Sat - Nov 28, 2020: Parties Acclaim Tigrians Who Rescued Massacre Targets in Mai Kadra - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[Ethiopian Herald] ADDIS ABABA - People of Tigray in Mai Kadra have proven Ethiopian culture of sympathy when they safeguarded some civilians who were targeted during the recent massacre that claimed hundreds of innocent lives in the area, said opposition political parties TDP and EZEMA.