COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Addis Ababa
Government: Federal Parliamentary Republic
Current President: Mulatu Teshome Wirtu
Population: 108,386,391 (2018)
Land Size: 1.13 million sq km (437,794 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mon - Jun 17, 2019: Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed's Father Passed Away - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[Addis Standard] Addis Standard tweeted: Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed's father, Ahmed Ali, has passed away today, FBC quoted Agaro Wereda communications bureau as saying. Agaro wereda is located, in Jimma Zone, Oromia regional state in south-western Ethiopia.
- Mon - Jun 17, 2019: Displacement Crisis Not a Precursor for a Very Bad Future but Residues of a Very Bad Past: Mustefa Omer - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[Addis Standard] Born in 1973 in Degehabur zone of Somali regional state, Mustefa Muhumed Omer became the deputy president of the Somali region in the midst of a crisis following the ousting of his predecessor Abdi Muhamud Omer, a.k.a, Abdi Iley in August 2018. A well-known critic of Abdi Illey's ten year iron fist rule in the region & the rampant human rights abuse by the region's Liyu police (Special Force), Mustefa is an economist by training and has a Master's of Science degree in Agricultural Economics. He has wor
- Mon - Jun 17, 2019: Judges Rule Five Suspects Accused of Bombing At Pro Abiy Ahmed Rally Should Defend Terrorism Charges - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[Addis Standard] Judges at the Federal High Court Lideta branch Fourth Criminal Bench have today ruled that five suspects arrested in connection with the bombing on June 23/2018 at a rally called to support Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed should defend terrorism charges brought against them by federal prosecutors. They were first charged with terrorism on September 28/2018.
- Mon - Jun 17, 2019: Parliament Approves New Electoral Board Members, Federal Judges - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[Addis Standard] The House of People's Representatives (HoPR) have today approved the appointment of four new board members of the National Electoral Board of Ethiopia (NEBE).
- Mon - Jun 17, 2019: Ethiopian Human Rights Commission Must Be Reformed to Correct Miscarriage of Justice: Amnesty - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[Addis Standard] Ethiopian Human Rights Commission (EHRC) must be reformed to enable it to contribute to the country making a break with its repressive past while promoting access to justice for victims of human rights violations, Amnesty International said today, as it released a new briefing examining the investigation reports the Commission published primarily between 2016 and 2017.