COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Addis Ababa
Government: Federal Parliamentary Republic
Current President: Mulatu Teshome Wirtu
Population: 108,386,391 (2018)
Land Size: 1.13 million sq km (437,794 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Sat - Oct 19, 2019: Council Approves Framework Which Makes Hawassa City Accountable to Future Sidama Regional State - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[Addis Standard] The ongoing meeting by the Council of the Southern Nations, Nationalities and People's Regional State (SNNPRS) approved a legal framework document which makes the city of Hawassa, currently the capital city of SNNPRS, accountable to the future Sidama Regional State (RST), DW Amharic reported.
- Fri - Oct 18, 2019: Geingob, Venaani Applaud Ethiopian PM for Winning Nobel Peace Prize - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[New Era] Windhoek -Ethiopian Prime Minster Abiy Ahmed Ali received congratulations from President Hage Geingob on winning the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize, in his contribution to peace with Eritrea and introducing various reforms at home.
- Fri - Oct 18, 2019: Nobel Gives Ethiopia's Abiy Momentum to Consolidate Sustainable Peace - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[ISS] The Nobel Peace Prize awarded to Ethiopia's Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed Ali last week is a boost to reformist African leaders across the continent. It amplifies the voices of progress and reconciliation at a critical juncture for Ethiopia and the Horn of Africa region. The award should inspire political leaders to work towards economic progress and a collective determination to transition from repression and conflict to peace and sustainable development.
- Thu - Oct 17, 2019: Why Al-Shabaab Is Eyeing Ethipia - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[Dalsan Radio] The al-Shabab militant group has sown fear and terror in Eastern Africa for more than a decade. The terrorist group is fighting to oust the Somali government and establish a society based on a rigid interpretation of Islamic Shariah law. Its original leadership was affiliated with al-Qaeda.
- Thu - Oct 17, 2019: Is Al-Shabaab Looking to Ethiopia? - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[Deutsche Welle] Al-Shabab has mostly struck Kenya when attacking outside of Somalia's borders. But after recent arrests of alleged al-Shabab fighters in Ethiopia, is the Islamist group turning to Ethiopia as a new target?