COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Addis Ababa
Government: Federal Parliamentary Republic
Current President: Mulatu Teshome Wirtu
Population: 108,113,150 (2020)
Land Size: 1.13 million sq km (437,794 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Jul 7, 2020: At Least 166 Killed in Ethiopia After Week of Violence - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[VOA] Widespread violence in the past week in Ethiopia following the shooting death of a popular Oromo singer has killed at least 166 people, officials said Monday.
- Tue - Jul 7, 2020: Ethiopia's Democratization At Risk - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[DW] Ethiopian prime-minister Abiy Ahmed was once awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for ending a war and raising hopes of democratic change. These hopes are being dashed by his heavy-handed response to anti-government protests.
- Mon - Jul 6, 2020: Egypt Turns to UNSC to Push for Final Deal On Ethiopia's Nile Dam - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[Ghanaian Times] Egypt has appealed to the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) to intervene in the year-long dispute over Ethiopian's new hydroelectric dam to help push for a final deal before filling its reservoir.
- Mon - Jul 6, 2020: Somali Ambassador Holds Meeting With Farmajo in Mogadishu - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[Shabelle] Somali President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmaajo has received the Chinese ambassador to Somalia Qin Jian at the presidential palace on Saturday.
- Mon - Jul 6, 2020: Statement On Trilateral Negotiations Between Egypt, Ethiopia and Sudan On Renaissance Dam Issued - AllAfrica News: Ethiopia
[SNA] Khartoum -- The Ministry of Irrigation and Water Resources Saturday issued a statement on the current tripartite negotiations between Egypt, Ethiopia and Sudan on the filling and operation of the Renaissance Dam.