COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary One-party Presidential Republic
Current President: Isaias Afewerki
Population: 5,918,919 (2017)
Land Size: 117,400 sq km (45,300 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Oct 16, 2018: UN - Philippines, Eritrea Don't Belong On Rights Council - AllAfrica News: Eritrea
[HRW] New York -United Nations member countries should oppose the candidacies of the Philippines and Eritrea for the Human Rights Council because of their egregious human rights records, Human Rights Watch said today. Serious rights violations in Bahrain and Cameroon also raise significant concerns. On October 12, 2018, the UN General Assembly will vote to fill one-third of the seats on the 47-member council for the 2019-21 term.
- Sat - Oct 13, 2018: Human Rights Concerns Persist Months After Peace Deals - AllAfrica News: Eritrea
[VOA] In signing a historic peace deal with Ethiopia and cooperation agreements with Djibouti and Somalia earlier this year, long-isolated Eritrea gained fresh opportunities to re-emerge on the world stage.
- Fri - Oct 12, 2018: Migration On Agenda As Italy PM Visits Ethiopia, Eritrea - AllAfrica News: Eritrea
[RFI] Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte kicked off a two-day visit to Ethiopia Thursday, where he was expected to throw his weight behind the July peace deal signed with Eritrea, his next port of call. Conte, who heads a coalition with the far-right League, is also expected to raise the question of migration.
- Fri - Oct 12, 2018: Prime Minister of Italy Will Conduct Official Visit in Eritrea - AllAfrica News: Eritrea
[Shabait] Asmara -Prime Minister of Italy, Giuseppe Conte will arrive in Asmara in the morning hours of tomorrow, 12 October for one day official visit.
- Fri - Oct 12, 2018: Activities By Nationals in Diaspora - AllAfrica News: Eritrea
[Shabait] Asmara -Nationals residing in Juba, Republic of South Sudan and Rotterdam, Holland have conducted public diplomacy activities, reports indicate.